Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Olympics Road Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Had been wondering how the race was progressing. Just checked and saw the clip of Van Vleuten's crash. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭griffin100

Wow what a finish, fantastic effort from the American.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Poor abbot. After all that effort 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I couldn't care less who won now. Tell us how Van Vluten is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

cycling news "Reports coming through that Van Vleuten is ok and on her way to hospital. No confirmation, but that is some good news. "

fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Jesus Christ that crash.

I hope she's ok. My immediate feeling was I'd just seen someone die

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

godtabh wrote: »
    The route should have been looked at better. How many injuries was there in this course? Ridiculous
    Hate to think what might have happened if there had been a downpour in either race

Jesus Christ that crash.

I hope she's ok. My immediate feeling was I'd just seen someone die

My exact thoughts at the time too.

I'm sick to my stomach waiting on word.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty wrote: »
    Hate to think what might have happened if there had been a downpour in either race

I only saw it twice. Live and the replay but it looked like she lost the rear wheel. Seconds before the camera lense was misting up.

The impact looked horrendous. I hope she is ok. To me that type of course isnt what it should have been about. Hard for hardness sakes puts people at risk as has been seen

• Advertisement

The pictures from the TV of the Dutch team may suggest she is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Thank goodness. A really vicious-looking crash. Chris Boardman on BBC1 giving out yards and saying the edges should have been protected, he'd talked about it before the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Poor abbot. After all that effort 4th

Yeah, I'm gutted for her. Although, I think she peaked too soon...... Guess the fatigue set in in the final sprint :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

That's great news....bbc seem unsure. Happy she's ok, that crash was brutal

Yeah, I'm gutted for her. Although, I think she peaked too soon...... Guess the fatigue set in in the final sprint :(

too much work blowing the group up on the last climb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Thrilling & sickening at the same time that climax. Proof all right that that descent as Boardman was saying was beyond technical & downright dangerous. Hope the Dutch girl's ok & her teammate winning will be glad news for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Your heart would have to break for poor Abbot :(

Though fair play for the three who chased her down, epic finish!

I hope that lass who crashed is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I know it is all about winning Van Burgueen was staying behind those 2 and anytime they tries to go behind them she dropped right back.

Hope the other Netherland rider is okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

All that we know about Van Vluten so far is that she's now awake and talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

That crash was just dreadful. I'm not going to post a link, but I'm expecting the worst until hopefully we hear the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Your heart would have to break for poor Abbot :(

Though fair play for the three who chased her down, epic finish!

I hope that lass who crashed is OK.

+1 on all that. Rough rough crash. Some seriously ****e road furniture on that decent.

And poor Abbott. She deserves a medal

swiwi_ wrote: »
    That crash was just dreadful. I'm not going to post a link, but I'm expecting the worst until hopefully we hear the contrary.

Literally just just saw it on RTE :eek:

Jesus one of the worst ive seen in a while, looked like her back hit the kerb. after going over the handlebars? Really hope she's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I feel sick after seeing that crash. It was horrible. Hope she's ok.

Your heart would really go out to Abbott but great chase from the 3 girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Considering the crashes in th mens race surely the powers that be should have postponed the womens to allow a review and redesign of the route. I know it's late in the day but if it was an industrial site there is no way a repeat of yesterday would have been allowed happen.

Shame on the organisers and they will be mightily lucky if she does not end up with a long term serious injury after that.

The chef de mission, on Dutch TV, has said she is awake, talking and en route to hospital.
    Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

One of the worst crashes I've seen. So sorry for Abbot, she put in a tremendous effort but hadn't a hope against the sprinters.

Great race though, thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

The chef de mission, on Dutch TV, has said she is awake, talking and en route to hospital.
    Thank God.

Was just about to post this. It's something.
    Een UCI-official zei kort na de race tegen Marianne Vos en Ellen van Dijk: "Ze praat, ze is helder."

A UCI official said just after the race to Vos and van Dijk "She's talking, she's clear."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

For anybody, that's interested,there's a video of the crash on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Awful looking crash, thank god she seems to be OK. How can the course have been that badly designed. Looks like concrete blocks on their edge at the side of the road. Surely for the Olympics some work would have to be done to allow a better run off at the side of the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Eamonnator wrote: »
    For anybody, that's interested,there's a video of the crash on YouTube

I have seen it twice once as I was watching live and the second because i turned over to RTE 2 at the wrong time DO NOT WANT TO SEE THAT AGAIN

Advertisement