Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Olympics Road Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Hopefully with the news that she's ok - relatively anyway - imagine the emotional meltdown if that was Carlton Kirby commentating. He'd have been in absolute bits.

Boardman was saying he was angry at the inclusion of the descent knowing from beforehand how dangerous it was. And I'd say there was a lot more anger & emotion below the surface than he was letting out, especially obviously with the tragedy of his mum a few weeks back, & it being very raw how serious cycling incidents can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Someone would have had to have signed off that it was safe. Which is nonsence

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

After watching that, and other womens races, I fail to see why womens cycling is not more watched.

It is one of the few sports where outright strength or technique doesn't come into it (I'm not looking to starting a debate about the skills in cycling ) but speed is relative so its kinda irrelevant how fast they actually go.

Given the problems over the last few years in the mens cycling just wondering why womens cycling isn't seen in a better light

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Some serious questions need to be asked about the route for the road race. Does the TT use the same hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

pelevin wrote: »
    Hopefully with the news that she's ok - relatively anyway - imagine the emotional meltdown if that was Carlton Kirby commentating. He'd have been in absolute bits.

Boardman was saying he was angry at the inclusion of the descent knowing from beforehand how dangerous it was. And I'd say there was a lot more anger & emotion below the surface than he was letting out, especially obviously with the tragedy of his mum a few weeks back, & it being very raw how serious cycling incidents can be.

The descent itself was no more dangerous than others, it was the insane off camber into the storm drains with a foot high curbs that were lethal, given the money they have thrown at the games a few hay bales or similar doesn't seem too much to have asked for here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

And she seems ok in hospital

Edit: Apparently it's an old photo being mis-reported.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Given the problems over the last few years in the mens cycling just wondering why womens cycling isn't seen in a better light

TV coverage, lack of, might be the simple answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

On a side note, the American slowed down to make sure she didn't fall. It just about paid off, if the race had only been 500m shorter. Must have been gutting to watch yourself be overtaken at the last bit.

I'll make sure to watch the mountain biking cross country, that was edge of the seat viewing last olympics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the descent was re-tarmaced by the looks of it always thought fresh tarmac was slippy but the crashes seemed to be form over cooking corners,
    Annemiek van Vleuten (Netherlands) is reportedly conscious and being transported to hospital after a devastating crash on the descent of the Vista Chinesa in the final 12km of the Olympic Games women's road race on Sunday, according to the Dutch cycling federation.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-vleuten-conscious-after-dramatic-crash-in-olympic-games-road-race/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It was a bad one. Thought her neck was gone. Glad they are saying she is ok. Dangerous descent with the storm drains and shadows from foilage. I only seen it live and thought she went into the bend a bit tight and was always going to come out wide. Realising it, she tried to adjust line/ slow mid apex. I won't be watching it again to verify though.

One moment that changed the outcome. Van Vlueten would not have been caught. Terrible end to a great race.

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    It was a bad one. Thought her neck was gone. Glad they are saying she is ok. Dangerous descent with the storm drains and shadows from foilage. I only seen it live and thought she went into the bend a bit tight and was always going to come out wide. Realising it, she tried to adjust line/ slow mid apex. I won't be watching it again to verify though.

One moment that changed the outcome. Van Vlueten would not have been caught. Terrible end to a great race.

Yeah, she was going off a fair bit before she neared the kerb, the bike was skidding and almost parallel with the kerb.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Latest update is She breathing and communicating, I'm starting to think she has suffered a bad physical injury

Stheno wrote: »
    Latest update is She breathing and communicating, I'm starting to think she has suffered a bad physical injury

1st thing I thought when she landed was that it was her lower back that hit the kerb and took the brunt of the impact I really hope it wasn't but I don't want to watch it again now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its a strange one, if you watch it again she doesn't seem to clip the kerb..it looks like she skidded and her front wheel locked up, greasy road??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I have a horrendous feeling she may be paralyzed, was watching it live when it happened. Never seen anything like it before.

She definitely skidded or else her back wheel locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

fryup wrote: »
    its a strange one, if you watch it again she doesn't seem to clip the kerb..it looks like she skidded and her front wheel locked up, greasy road??

Thats what I thought as well.
    Looking at it again, I wonder did she skid on the yellow line on the road.

Here's hoping her injuries are not too bad, and wishing her a speedy recovery.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Looking at it again, I wonder did she skid on the yellow line on the road.

kinda like Froome a few weeks back in the TDF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

It was a horrible crash to watch, she seems to have misjudged the line through, braked hard on rear wheel, which locked up and skidded. Then it appears that front brakes were applied hard, it locked and she goes over handlebars ,landing on her back on the high kerb. please god she is okay and suffers no permanent damage.
    Regarding the course..most of the riders in both races managed it on every lap, it was only on final lap in each race when medals were real prospect that the descenders pushed the limit and it didn't pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

secman wrote: »
    It was a horrible crash to watch, she seems to have misjudged the line through, braked hard on rear wheel, which locked up and skidded. Then it appears that front brakes were applied hard, it locked and she goes over handlebars ,landing on her back on the high kerb. please god she is okay and suffers no permanent damage.
    Regarding the course..most of the riders in both races managed it on every lap, it was only on final lap in each race when medals were real prospect that the descenders pushed the limit and it didn't pay off.

Yeah. The key problem was having that descent so late in the race, where bigger risks are taken. Really hope she's okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Dreadful crash and hope she is alright, however looked like rider error to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

http://nos.nl/rio2016/artikel/2123843-van-vleuten-bij-bewustzijn-praat-en-is-helder.html
    Annemiek van Vleuten...has a severe concussion and three small fractures in her lumbar spine. She must stay in intensive care for 24 hours.

Kom op meid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looks like she was a lucky lady.

Can't understand how the corners weren't protected better. It was only 1 or 2 corners that needed to de done.
    That concrete drain at the side of the road is a liability with its narrow concrete ridge.

Looks like the bit of rain caught her out. With oil fumes from motorbikes a small bit of rain would make it very greasy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

terrydel wrote: »
    Dreadful crash and hope she is alright, however looked like rider error to me.
    Only rider error in the sense the circuit "encouraged" riders to go at speeds that ultimately proved unsafe. Given the number of serious accidents on that descent over the past 2 days I think "blame" can be laid squarely with the organisers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any concussion is a brain injury - I'm not sure we should be saying she's lucky yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

fryup wrote: »

_90705439_vanvleutenstill1.jpg

_90705957_vanvleutenstill2.jpg

taken from http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/37005595

Amazing race to watch but horrific crash to see :(
    I hope she is not seriously injured.

well we don't know yet
    That concrete drain at the side of the road is a liability with its narrow concrete ridge.

yes agree, and thats what she seemed to land her back on

Beasty wrote: »
    Only rider error in the sense the circuit "encouraged" riders to go at speeds that ultimately proved unsafe. Given the number of serious accidents on that descent over the past 2 days I think "blame" can be laid squarely with the organisers

Yeah, you can't set a course with such a descent so late in the race, especially such a prestigious race (though the prestige is a bit irrelevant) & then say that that well if they rode conservatively & safely things would be fine. Of course they're racing hard, that's what they're there for. It's a given that they're trying to give everything at such a stage in proceedings. Those kerbs, or whatever the proper word is, were a shocking sight in truth. I was thinking much earlier how the accidents yday involving Nibali & others had bad consequences but with such kerbs could have been much more tragic again. You mentioned earlier today about the perhaps unacceptable level of danger invovled, & it's no coincidence that I began this thread with the line, "Don't know if they'll be using that by now infamous descent that claimed the scalps of the likes of Henao, Nibali & Porte yesterday."

• Advertisement

morana wrote: »
    There's no way they can assess a brain injury like that so quickly. AFAIK she is still in intensive care

Advertisement