Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Olympics Road Race

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty wrote: »
    The UCI have defended the course stating it has passed the required safety review and had been used for a test event

I think whoever undertakes these reviews needs to go on a refresher:rolleyes: Also a test event is nothing like an Olympic final. Did they run it with the World's best riders over 250km?

As you point out previously there was a 30km/h speed limit. Surely the expected speeds greater than that down hill. Health and safety my bollix

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Christ, 3 fractured vertebrae. I hope she's left with no lasting problems. I saw it live and I knew it looked bad.
    They said "small" fractures. As I've already mentioned I had a couple in my own accident but was barely aware of them (other than having a neck brace on for a few hours). Assuming nothing is out of place I would imagine they will heal completely and quickly

The brain injury is more of a concern from my perspective. She may well have been tweeting she's OK, but I was posting on here that I was OK 24 hours after my accident, and nearly 2 and half years later I know I'm still not quite back to where I was before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I missed this live but I've just seen vidoes from a couple of perspectives and it looked really bad.
    Hope she has a full recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are there no Irish women up to the required standard?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Boardman crashed out of the tour on a pan flat straight road , its a risky sport as a lot of guys on here including myself well know and sometime sh1t happens

He didn't fall on a straight bit and get hurled into a drain or high kerb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Are there any links to highlights? I had to miss the end of the race :mad: YouTube is not giving me anything!

I seen the crash though, it was horrendous. there's no way the edge of that road was safe. The descent itself and the road were fine, technical but ok, they're the best riders in the world to tackle it. but the drains and edges were just not safe, really not at all. They do not constitute acceptable risk. Making then safer would not have decreased the number of crashes, but surely would have decreased the severity of the injuries which is the point.

On The race I think it was the Americans to lose, and they were the biggest losers, given the strength of their team at the minute.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are there no Irish women up to the required standard?
    Not currently. However there are a few good youngsters out there and hopefully one or two will progress. The main focus with these Olympics was to try and qualify a team pursuit squad for the track, but unfortunately there's a limit of 9 teams and Ireland didn't quite make it.

Shannon McCurley will be racing in the Kierin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He didn't fall on a straight bit and get hurled into a drain or high kerb.

This.

It's not the crash it's the deathtrap

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a spectators video...

if you slow it down @1.40 it looks like she skidded when going over the yellow road line

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

fryup wrote: »
    a spectators video...

if you slow it down @1.40 it looks like she skidded when going over the yellow road line

How long did it take for some one to get to her? I don't know how long in general first responders would get to an injured rider but seems like she was there for a long time not moving and no one to support her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

godtabh wrote: »
    How long did it take for some one to get to her? I don't know how long in general first responders would get to an injured rider but seems like she was there for a long time not moving and no one to support her.

Thought the very same thing myself, 2 minutes plus. I suppose given the road conditions and the spread of the field they were behind the main group of riders.

No harm maybe sticking a medic on the back of one of those many motorbikes to provide a larger spread of cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Looks like 1 minute 50 seconds was the response time. For such a hazardous part of the course, which they knew about after the men's race, I would have thought they'd have had paramedics stationed at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I'm don't know why I watched that again but it's interesting you can hear the tyres of one of the cars screech as they took the bend.

Not sure the paint had a big effect, she got the line wrong for the corner and couldn't scrub enough speed off before the wheels locked up and she lost control. It's not the crash that's the issue, it's the curbing. For such a big event they should have had better protection for the riders on that descent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I thought initially she had done her C spine, if not breathing (she was though apparantly) 1:50 before help arrived would have been enough to cause brain damage.
    Dangerous kerbs and intermittant rocks, great race but too many good riders badly injured, can safely say between mens and womens race cannot think of any other race with so many serious injuries.

RobFowl wrote: »
    I thought initially she had done her C spine, if not breathing (she was though apparantly) 1:50 before help arrived would have been enough to cause brain damage.
    Dangerous kerbs and intermittant rocks, great race but too many good riders badly injured, can safely say between mens and womens race cannot think of any other race with so many serious injuries.

From the fans video I think you can see her breathing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

The BBC iplayer has both races if one wants to watch them again

I am sure RTE player will have too ...but I cannot see RTE olympics coverage in London

MPFGLB wrote: »
    The BBC iplayer has both races if one wants to watch them again

I am sure RTE player will have too ...but I cannot see RTE olympics coverage in London

They do, but you have to go through the main RTE site and click on the olympics banner. The player just seems to have the events Irish are in.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/results/olympics/

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Really would not have killed the organisers to put some of that green mesh up on that decent but it may have killed one of the riders. Thankfully she's gotten away with her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I think they would have had to have catch netting at the side of the tarmac to stop that accident. What was worse was the netting wasn't fixed from porte crash the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

And then when she regains consciousness she has to deal with men.

• Advertisement

poochiem wrote: »
    And then when she regains consciousness she has to deal with men.

Link doesnt work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Link doesnt work

In terms of @RyanTrebon I assume you mean the missing link !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What a multi-tasker that fan was...making sure to film her in a heap on the ground while shouting for help.

RobFowl wrote: »
    In terms of @RyanTrebon I assume you mean the missing link !

Never heard of him. Had to google him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

What a multi-tasker that fan was...making sure to film her in a heap on the ground while shouting for help.

if you don't know what you are doing, moving someone after a crash like that could make them worse or kill them.

lennymc wrote: »
    if you don't know what you are doing, moving someone after a crash like that could make them worse or kill them.

I wasn't suggesting they moved her. Rather that they not film her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

more gutter journalism banging out the images and GIFS before any update was known on the poor rider's condition. I didn't see them doing this for Pozzovivo's crash last year which was equally sickening. I just fail to see the reason for well know irish cycling sites and other news media outlets posting the crash on their front page, even right now. there is a fascination with the dark side of cycling. It's almost like its been reported to cast more aspersions on the sport...if the drugs don't get ya, the crashes will...

sick to my stomach looking at those images and more so maybe because it's the fairer sex (not trying to be sexist in any way)
    the dangers of that descent were known and they weren't protected, a duty every rider deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Normally, yes, and certainly not to put out in public; however, film could be useful for medics later assessing.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Normally, yes, and certainly not to put out in public; however, film could be useful for medics later assessing.

I wondered if it would ever be useful but after the first few seconds I don't think they'd learn anything new.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread...it's just something that makes me very uncomfortable...filming someone like that. Maybe it's just cos, as someone else said earlier, at the time I wondered if I was looking at someone who had just died.

Advertisement