Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Olympics Road Race

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    more gutter journalism banging out the images and GIFS before any update was known on the poor rider's condition. I didn't see them doing this for Pozzovivo's crash last year which was equally sickening. I just fail to see the reason for well know irish cycling sites and other news media outlets posting the crash on their front page, even right now. there is a fascination with the dark side of cycling. It's almost like its been reported to cast more aspersions on the sport...if the drugs don't get ya, the crashes will...

I don't think this is a cycling specific phenomenon.

If it was F1, it'd be the same.

Also, there was huge exposure in terms of photos and videos about the French gymnast who had the horrendous leg break on Saturday.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

van Vleuten just tweeted
    Still in the hospital. Waiting for some research&hope I can leave today. Knowing that this chance is 1 in 4 years, doesn't make it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

sullivlo wrote: »
    So you're saying that it is all entirely on the riders and that the organisers have no blame for organising a dangerous route? Or that the organisers didn't put some safety measures in place? When Porte crashed he damaged himself but there was a green fabric thing protecting him from going off the side of the mountain. If they could be safety conscious there, why not in other dangerous locations?

no . i never said that . their are faults on both parties . It looked like a very dangerous descent and their should have been bales on most of those corners , but the riders that came down the decent a bit slower did not have the same problems . Do you expect every bad bend on every descent to be netted off ? their were speeds well in excess of 100kph in the tour this year and probable in plenty of other races as well but there were plenty of places where disaster was only a small error away . In races at home here like the 'ras ' and 'shay elliott' too name but two there are several places where riders would be carrying plenty of speed while descending but we don't demand that every place where riders could leave the road is netted off
    I don't know if you have ever listened to the interview with kelly after his famous decent of the poggio with stone walls and green houses on either side , he said that when descending that fast all you think about is winning and not about crashing.
    my point about boardmans fall in the tour was that even though there was no kirbs , stone walls or bad bends ,he still had a bad enough fall to knock him out of the tour while leading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I don't think this is a cycling specific phenomenon.

If it was F1, it'd be the same.

Also, there was huge exposure in terms of photos and videos about the French gymnast who had the horrendous leg break on Saturday.

i think i have the problem with the irish cycling site consistently showing graphic falls. i've made the point before to them. no idea what basis there is to show such spills

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lennymc wrote: »
    if you don't know what you are doing, moving someone after a crash like that could make them worse or kill them.

A comforting voice also works well and that doesn't involve moving them.

Your ok, you were in an accident , help is on its way. Try to breath normally. You are going to be ok ... And so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

ted1 wrote: »
    A comforting voice also works well and that doesn't involve moving them.

Your ok, you were in an accident , help is on its way. Try to breath normally. You are going to be ok ... And so on.

She was unconscious ?
    better off staying away , you can see she was breathing, and moved her arm.
    Leave medics do their thing....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty wrote: »

She was so lucky to walk away from that. Hope she gets back on the bike soon and isnt affected by this long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

godtabh wrote: »
    She was so lucky to walk away from that. Hope she gets back on the bike soon and isnt affected by this long term.

Her tweets at the time almost sounded like the crash was secondary to not winning....which I'm hoping bodes well for her getting back on the bike and competing again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Her tweets at the time almost sounded like the crash was secondary to not winning....which I'm hoping bodes well for her getting back on the bike and competing again.

Total team player it would seem.

Physically I'm sure she'll be fine. Mentally there could be issues. The commentary during the race suggested that Abbott had issues descending after a crash in the Giro. It did affect her but probably meant she wasnt caught up in the crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Total team player it would seem.

Physically I'm sure she'll be fine. Mentally there could be issues. The commentary during the race suggested that Abbott had issues descending after a crash in the Giro. It did affect her but probably meant she wasnt caught up in the crash

Aye, I did get the impression that it was the not winning that affected her more, mentally, than the crash. But that's an impression garnered from a few tweets...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Great to see her up and doing well. Hopefully she'll be back as good as ever.

Still can't find highlights of the race, I had to miss the end of it. YouTube is only giving me her crash, which I have no desire to see again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Poor old Lotte Gebecke's amazing but doomed breakaway seems to have been forgotten

Poor old Lotte Gebecke's amazing but doomed breakaway seems to have been forgotten
    Pah! No-one even remembers the winner of the race I crashed in....

:pac:

Pah! No-one even remembers the winner of the race I crashed in....

:pac:

Some people dont even remember the race.

Some people dont even remember the race.

Suppose I'd better remind them all about it then........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Suppose I'd better remind them all about it then........

Did you have a spill?

Get well soon

Ps fairly sure this lad won that race

Harry-Reynolds2.jpg

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ps fairly sure this lad won that race
    ... and look what happened to him!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

... and look what happened to him!

Died 16 July 1940 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Super happy that's she seems well all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

RobFowl wrote: »
    Harry-Reynolds2.jpg

A fine figure of a man. Who was he?

Harry Reynolds - the last Irish World Champion (track) before Martyn Irvine won 3 years ago

That picture was taken by Rob with his old pinhole camera....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Love those handlebars too. Lots of different ways to grip. No brakes because it's a fixie? No bell because you'll hear the sonic boom as he passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

And he was able to track-stand for the 5 minutes it took for the photo...

Advertisement