Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop charging problem

Options
  • 07-08-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I have a HP laptop that is causing a bit of trouble recently.
    It started with a "plugged in, not charging" message, but would still work with the mains plugged in. I googled this and tried a few things but I couldn't fix it.
    Now however, even with the power connected, it will boot up for maybe 1 minute max and then just cut out!

Any of you guys here seen that before? Should I buy a new battery or a new charger or is it likely to be a problem with the computer itself??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Skuxx wrote: »
    It started with a "plugged in, not charging" message, but would still work with the mains plugged in. I googled this and tried a few things but I couldn't fix it.
    Now however, even with the power connected, it will boot up for maybe 1 minute max and then just cut out!

Any of you guys here seen that before? Should I buy a new battery or a new charger or is it likely to be a problem with the computer itself??

If you remove the battery and run it off ac does it still die after a minute? If so its probably not the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

FrostyJim wrote: »
    If you remove the battery and run it off ac does it still die after a minute? If so its probably not the battery.

+1 for that.
    Skuxx wrote: »

If she runs on AC without battery, you could try removing the Battery from Device Manager (highlighted here), power off, insert battery and power on.
    393745.JPG

I fixed a laptop that had the "Plugged in, Not charging" issue with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Get a cheap multimeter and check that the adapter is giving out the right voltage. That would be my starting point. Then you could try taking out the battery and just running it on the A/C and see if it stays on. If it stays on with the battery out, then you can isolate the issue with the battery / charging circuit. (try it a few times to confirm).

More than likely it's the battery. They generally fail after a few years. Certainly worth trying the software fix suggested above, but batteries are consumables so I wouldnt look past the obvious.

Advertisement