Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the animosity between Dublin people and the rest of the country real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Don't deny your kinfolk, you're a culchie alright.

Ah no, surely culchie land is only beyond the Pale? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm from Dublin and I've literally nothing against the turf apes from the big giant field that surrounds us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

right you are thanks, I will proudly ask for a mineral next time Im up in Dublin so ...

You'll have to ask for a "min-der-dal" so that they'll understand you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Grandeeod wrote: »
    My father was inner city born and reared. He's crazy!:D

I live in the suburbs now with a posh wife, posh kids, a posh dog, surrounded by posh neighbours and posh in-laws just down the road ......... and they all think I'm crazy!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

is the animosity between Dublin people and the rest of the country real?

No, it's bullsh!t.

Feckin' culchies always trying to stir sh!t up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I live in the suburbs now with a posh wife, posh kids, a posh dog, surrounded by posh neighbours and posh in-laws just down the road ......... and they all think I'm crazy!!! :confused:

You're a true blue headbanger so! But at least you embraced the "posh" bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

No, it's bullsh!t.

Feckin' culchies always trying to stir sh!t up

we're good at slurry here in the schticks....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The only Dubs I used to hear going on with that kinda stuff was my first cousins, the fact that they are only one generation removed from the farmyard seems to be lost on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Funny you say that, every Dub's worse nightmare is raising a child that speaks like one of D'Unbelievables!! :D
    Dat's ryyyyssshhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thirty years ago I had this conversation with an auld lad in a pub in Nenagh.

He said, Dublin people call Nenagh people culchies. Nenagh people call Toomevara people culchies. Toomevara people call people who live and work on farms culchies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

A few small-minded gobshítes on both sides genuinely seem to have animosity for the other. And all the normal folk have animosity for those small-minded gobshítes. :)

The term 'culchie' doesn't bother, and I sometimes call myself a 'bogger' in a tongue-in-cheek manner, but I really cringe when I hear people use terms like 'jackeen' or 'mucksavage' with venom in their voices. It's so parochial on both sides. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Zaph wrote: »
    It's the same in Dublin between northsiders and southsiders, the vast majority don't take it seriously and treat it as a bit of a joke.

I have found the biggest snobs towards northside Dublin are people who have moved up from the country. Literally will not consider living on the northside, a lot of them. I moved up and apart from a short spell in Ringsend, I have always lived on the northside, sometimes in nicer areas and rentals at cheaper rent with better transport links and closer to town than friends and acquaintances who live on the southside, but they just will not consider anywhere that isn't southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Elliott S wrote: »
    I have found the biggest snobs towards northside Dublin are people who have moved up from the country. Literally will not consider living on the northside, a lot of them. I moved up and apart from a short spell in Ringsend, I have always lived on the northside, sometimes in nicer areas and rentals at cheaper rent with better transport links and closer to town than friends and acquaintances who live on the southside, but they just will not consider anywhere that isn't southside.

Hopefully they never end up in Castleknock, Clontarf and Portmarnock. All proper rough Northside spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

ooh - stay clear of Tommy Dillon , hes a serial whore that one ....

What did he spend money on?

I'm married to a foreign he's from cork.I'm a dub

triona1 wrote: »

Wiskey and beer.now they no they never.

This is very easy I'm from Co Dublin 18.so anyone on the south of the liffey is 2 4 6 8 and all even numbers,northsiders (we call them pigeon's)in Dublin they are northsiders so its 1,3,5,7 that's how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is very easy I'm from Co Dublin 18.so anyone on the south of the liffey is 2 4 6 8 and all even numbers,northsiders (we call them pigeon's)in Dublin they are northsiders so its 1,3,5,7 that's how it works

Except parts of Dublin 8 and 20 are on the Northside. Sure isn't the President himself in D8 these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Don't think there is, Fools can be fools no matter where there from, As in the Dublin south north side divide, Only in some peoples minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Wiskey and beer.now they no they never.
    triona1, you're talking to yourself and answering yourself now :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

McGruber wrote: »
    Well, we put a toll up to try and keep the Cavan people out.

Too bad you didn't do more to keep the tired and overplayed Cork humour out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Collie D wrote: »
    It's more likely the other way round in my experience but even then not an issue. As many culchies in Dublin as natives so animosity on either side is stupid. Unless they're from Cork of course...in which case they should be chased beyond the Pale with their own pitchforks

:eek: *flees*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Zaph wrote: »
    99% of people treat it as a bit of craic, and there's nothing wrong with some friendly slagging. It's the same in Dublin between northsiders and southsiders, the vast majority don't take it seriously and treat it as a bit of a joke. Then unfortunately there's the 1% - the ones who think that the world revolves around Supermacs in Eyre Square or that Cork really is the capital of Ireland. And on the other side you have those who think that anyone living just outside of Dublin in the likes of Bray or Clonee is an uncivilised mucksavage or that things will be so much better down the country when they finally get electricity and running water. These people just don't get the joke and take it all far too seriously, and basically give the rest of us who really couldn't give a sh*te as long as there's a pint close by a bad name. That said, I still don't really believe that Leitrim exists. :pac:

Wait, you mean they have electricity and running water down the country? When did that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Dublin is awesome. Nothing but love and envy for you lucky Dub bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jesus I've just realised that actually most of my friends are hairy bog goblins. Westmeath, Wexford, Monaghan heads. I'd be lost without the weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Grayditch wrote: »
    Jesus I've just realised that actually most of my friends are hairy bog goblins. Westmeath, Wexford, Monaghan heads. I'd be lost without the weirdos.
    You're too kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dubs dislike everyone else so much they even have a name for them; culchies.
    This name isn't a term of endearment.

We call Dubs Jackeens\Westbrits so I guess it evens out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Shint0 wrote: »
    A lot of Dubs probably have culchie blood in them anyway and you might only need to go back a few generations.

An old college friend used always boast that she could trace no culchie blood in her family tree to as far back as she could go, that the family were true blue Dubs. When I used stay in her house her mother told me she grew up on a farm somewhere in Dublin so my friend was really a muck savage after all, just a Dublin version.

Ah! The plasma centrifuge. It never lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Can't understand the animosity towards the indentured yeoman pool from which we suck taxes and cheap labour to support the outpost of civilization in The Pale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

sligojoek wrote: »
    Thirty years ago I had this conversation with an auld lad in a pub in Nenagh.

He said, Dublin people call Nenagh people culchies. Nenagh people call Toomevara people culchies. Toomevara people call people who live and work on farms culchies.

That is what happened our economy there 8 years back.

Nobody was willing to stand up and take responsibility.

Advertisement