Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the animosity between Dublin people and the rest of the country real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm from the country . I don't really care where someone is from . I think people from towns can seem cold and standoffish but it's understandable not to be effusive with a stranger when you're not from a community where everyone knows everyone and takes the time to chat. That must seem like nosiness to a 'townie'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Can we have a 'Question time with Andy From Sligo' thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If there is such a rivalry I expect it is one-sided. Dubs don't really tend to spend much time thinking about the rest of the country, unless it's a sunny long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

You know how some (well a fair few) of people up in Dublin talk about people out in the sticks as being Cultchies and a bit t'ick or all farmers or inbred's ... is this all just friendly banter and a laugh or what? - its not serious is it.

And you know the fuss some Dubliners make when the people travel up (from Sligo haha :D ) and shop up in Dublin on certain days with the Dubliners feeling like they have been invaded is that all a laugh what is said , or said toungue in cheek, or is there animosity there? - surely its good isnt it people travelling up to Dublin to spend their hard earned (farmed :D ) cash isnt it?

Is there a North South divide like some say there is in the UK with some Londoners and the North of the country were some people in London think the north of the UK are miners and poor .... (and Inbreds) - or rather in the case of Ireland is there a East / west divide between Dubliners and people in the west of Ireland?

As a Dub myself, i can tell you that you only have to travel 20km out from Dublin City Centre to find yourself surrounded by farmers, tractors, greenhouses, hayfields (possibly inbreds too). We Dubs have our own homegrown Culchies so would be a bit ridiculous to have any animosity toward 'Culchies' outside the Pale ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm a Dub third generation ahem.

OH is from North West, deeeeeeep country. I don't like the insular way they live and talk about everyone including me, and that's when I'm in earshot!!

On the other hand they love visiting the Shmoke, their eyes are agog with wonder at the motorways, the LUAS, the DART, the tall buildings, the shops, and how do I buy a Leap card and pay the toll kind of questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

As a Dub myself, i can tell you that you only have to travel 20km out from Dublin City Centre to find yourself surrounded by farmers, tractors, greenhouses, hayfields (possibly inbreds too). We Dubs have our own homegrown Culchies so would be a bit ridiculous to have any animosity toward 'Culchies' outside the Pale ;-)

Do Tractors up there have number plates and working stop lamps and working indicators? :D

And are the tractors just used for farming up there or taking the fam to the local church and get shopping and taking the children to school .... hell what am i talking about , down here the primary and secondary kids drive themselves to school in the tractor!!

OH is from North West, deeeeeeep country. I don't like the insular way they live and talk about everyone including me, and that's when I'm in earshot!!

On the other hand they love visiting the Shmoke, their eyes are agog with wonder at the motorways, the LUAS, the DART, the tall buildings, the shops, and how do I buy a Leap card and pay the toll kind of questions.

sure when I lived in the UK I lived about 35 miles from the schmoke (London) and I loved visiting it - they were so civilised , big stores and they actually had electric trains that travelled under ground!:eek: - Cities are great arent they, be lost without them! ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Do Tractors up there have number plates and working stop lamps and working indicators? :D

And are the tractors just used for farming up there or taking the fam to the local church and get shopping and taking the children to school .... hell what am i talking about , down here the primary and secondary kids drive themselves to school in the tractor!!

They block up our country roads here in Co Dublin, like any other farmer's... :)

I'm a city boy moved to the back arse of Dublin and I love the country life, yes I have to take a bus eireann bus if I'm going out getting drunk in "town" but I think I've gone off parts of the city these days...

20 mins in the car and I'm home to the suburbs though..

Summer days in Dublin town can have a great buzz to them, not so much in the winter though...

Maybe I'm just a bog warrior at heart... :P

I love the shtix... :)

I like the way Dublin Farmers , if they see a queue building up behind them they pull over to hard shoulder and wave the people on - well they have when i have driven up in Dublin. - a lot of the time in the shticks it looks like they get a kick out of seeing how much traffic they can accumulate behind their tractor and for how long. :) - making people take unnecessary risks of overtaking on solid white lines and bends...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Ruu wrote: »
    Can we have a 'Question time with Andy From Sligo' thread?

I would support this in boards.ie Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

Haha.. fair point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I like the way Dublin Farmers , if they see a queue building up behind them they pull over to hard shoulder and wave the people on - well they have when i have driven up in Dublin. - a lot of the time in the shticks it looks like they get a kick out of seeing how much traffic they can accumulate behind their tractor and for how long. :) - making people take unnecessary risks of overtaking on solid white lines and bends...

You should start a Dublin farmers v Country farmers thread, Us Dubs are just perfect at everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You know how some (well a fair few) of people up in Dublin talk about people out in the sticks as being Cultchies and a bit t'ick or all farmers or inbred's ... is this all just friendly banter and a laugh or what? - its not serious is it.

And you know the fuss some Dubliners make when the people travel up (from Sligo haha :D ) and shop up in Dublin on certain days

Why do the culchies from Sligo say they are travelling 'up' to Dublin when Dublin is South of Sligo?

Why do the culchies from Sligo say they are travelling 'up' to Dublin when Dublin is South of Sligo?

Because it's at the top of Mount Dublin, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

World

North to South being Top to bottom on maps is an arbitrary convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

One thing I have noticed in the Dublin/Culchie divide is the land the rural 'GAAheads' get when they move to Dublin. Playing minor county might make you a God amongst men in your local parish but nobody cares in Dublin. They get some fall.

I think maybe your relations in the west have their eyes agog with wonder how ye dubs sit in traffic for 3 hours a day, pay more for home insurance, car insurance, houses, rental,drink, have a higher crime rate, don't know who ye are living beside, and yet think ye are smarter than us rednecks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think maybe your relations in the west have their eyes agog with wonder how ye dubs sit in traffic for 3 hours a day, pay more for home insurance, car insurance, houses, rental,drink, have a higher crime rate, don't know who ye are living beside, and yet think ye are smarter than us rednecks! :D

Am only having a laugh.

But on a serious note, I think rural living is very worrying now crime wise. My in laws are on edge all the time watching out for marauders around the place. That is no way to live either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Am only having a laugh.

But on a serious note, I think rural living is very worrying now crime wise. My in laws are on edge all the time watching out for marauders around the place. That is no way to live either.

Oh yeah it's a living hell alright :D

I heard recently that a lead salesman from Dublin was actually scoping farms for Dublin thieves who were subsequently robbing farms in Tipp and Cork. His company sold farm machinery and other farm products but he was caught passing sales information to Dublin thieves. Nice.

Good thing there are no burglaries in Dublin ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

My dad was watching a match in a Crumlin pub recently and Dublin were playing. Some auld fella was shouting about the stupid jackeens and how Dublin never deserved to get this far or some crap. This 100% wasn't banter either, he was angry. Can't understand why he'd be in Dublin, in a pub full of Dublin supporters shouting about how **** and stupid Dubliners are.

• Advertisement

scdublin wrote: »
    My dad was watching a match in a Crumlin pub recently and Dublin were playing. Some auld fella was shouting about the stupid jackeens and how Dublin never deserved to get this far or some crap. This 100% wasn't banter either, he was angry. Can't understand why he'd be in Dublin, in a pub full of Dublin supporters shouting about how **** and stupid Dubliners are.

Crumlin was only £60 in Monopoly. That's all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

While they might have been lowest valued on the board they had Lugs Brannigan and Gur Cake. Can't put a value on those.

Am only having a laugh.

closed vital rural Garda Stations = Increased Crime ... its not RS

.. and whats it like these days , something like 60 quid to park an hour up there innit now, something like that? :D

Ted111 wrote: »
    World

That's actually pretty interesting to look at.

Ted111 wrote: »
    World

So the culchies in Sligo are correct when they say they are going 'up' to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Collie D wrote: »
    It's more likely the other way round in my experience but even then not an issue. As many culchies in Dublin as natives so animosity on either side is stupid...
    Animosity or not, those Dubliners who matter-of-factly refer to people from outside Dublin as "culchies" are narrow-minded prejudiced individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Ah now, it's all a bit of a laugh really.. Although I've met plenty of Dubs who were very vicious when talking about 'culchies'. I remember being outside a pub on O'Connell Street last year, Kerry had just lost to Dublin in the final. Decided to congratulate a Dub beside me and he just went off on an awful tirade about culchies, what a wánker.. Hate bad losers, but he was a bad winner, even worse. Dubs, in general, are usually fine though.

I'm here almost 17 years now, there's times when I see fellas up from the country and in my mind I think, 'I'm a culchie, but he's REALLY a culchie!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

That's actually pretty interesting to look at.

Wait till you see the Peters Projection :)

• Advertisement

I'm here almost 17 years now, there's times when I see fellas up from the country and in my mind I think, 'I'm a culchie, but he's REALLY a culchie!'.

Sorry Paddy but after 17 years in Dublin, you are now officially a zombie ;)

Advertisement