Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the animosity between Dublin people and the rest of the country real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Sorry Paddy but after 17 years in Dublin, you are now officially a zombie ;)

Don't be saying that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Ah now, it's all a bit of a laugh really...
    Nonetheless, I wouldn't use a pejorative label for any group, just for the sake of a laugh or a few thanks on Boards...
    Dubs, in general, are usually fine though.
    Agreed! My post was not directed at them but at a particular subset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Oddly enough I've found Dubs with Country parents always a bit different to thoroughbred Dubs, a bit in the sense that the 2nd Gen Irish in the U.K, broadly speaking are different to the English in outlook and personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Shint0 wrote: »
    While they might have been lowest valued on the board they had Lugs Brannigan and Gur Cake. Can't put a value on those.

Since when did Crumlin have a monopoly ( :D) on Gur Cake? Sure, you can buy it in Supervalu & Bewleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

YellowLead wrote: »
    Being from Kildare - I'm neither a Dub nor a culchie so to speak, so I can't speak from direct experience but as others have said what I see is that most regular people living in Dublin don't take it seriously - you will get extremes on both sides (Dubs and country people) who do but it is generally very light hearted.

You're either a 'dub' or a 'bogger', you can't be both, it's one or the other.
    Ray D'Arcy is from Kildare and he's a culchie, what's the evidence for this?
    Conclusive evidence in fact....he uses 'YE' as a second person plural.
    No self-respecting Dub would ever use such a word, it's you, youse or yiz.

What say YOU?

• Advertisement

Of course you're a culchie, if you're from Kildare. Everyone past the Red Cow is. It doesn't matter if you are a champagne quaffing toff, with a birds eye view of The Curragh from your McMansion in Nouveau Newbridge, or a sheep shagging, slurry head from Ballygobackwards, you're all the same to us - culchies ! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Of course you're a culchie, if you're from Kildare. Everyone past the Red Cow is. It doesn't matter if you are a champagne quaffing toff, with a birds eye view of The Curragh from your McMansion in Nouveau Newbridge, or a sheep shagging, slurry head from Ballygobackwards, you're all the same to us - culchies ! :D

Kildare ? Rednecks

Kildare ? Rednecks

I prefer Lilyshytes. But you can't say that over in the GAA forum, or you'll get into trouble. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Since when did Crumlin have a monopoly ( :D) on Gur Cake? Sure, you can buy it in Supervalu & Bewleys.
    While they mightn't have had a monopoly on Gur Cake it was more common (common :pac:) in traditional working class areas. I've had a couple of people originally from Crumlin wax lyrical about it over the years. You can dress up sh!t, literally, although I was gifted some and it was more than passable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Omackeral wrote: »
    The only thing I hate about non Dubs is them calling all crisps, regardless of brand, 'Taytos'.

The same could be said for Dubs referring to all makes of vacuum cleaners as 'Hoovers'
    This has always bothered me, especially when I'm Nilfisking the house :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

earlytobed wrote: »
    The same could be said for Dubs referring to all makes of vacuum cleaners as 'Hoovers'
    This has always bothered me, especially when I'm Nilfisking the house :)

Or vacuuming the house, as us refined culchies say. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Zxclnic wrote: »

What say YOU?

Putting aside the 'culchie' name-calling nonsense...
    I would have grown up around the yous/youse vernacular version of you plural. However, ye is a grand old English word and was a standard 2nd person plural in its time.
    You've probably used it without realising it, if you ever sang "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" in a choir or read the works of Shakespeare or participated in a religious ceremony.
    Also, I've heard quite a few Dubliners use ye, and the Boards' slogan is/was "Now Ye're Talking".

Vita nova wrote: »
    Putting aside the 'culchie' name-calling nonsense...
    I would have grown up around the yous/youse vernacular version of you plural. However, ye is a grand old English word and was a standard 2nd person plural in its time.
    You've probably used it without realising it, if you ever sang "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" in a choir or read the works of Shakespeare or participated in a religious ceremony.
    Also, I've heard quite a few Dubliners use ye, and the Boards' slogan is/was "Now Ye're Talking".

Oh, I didn't know Shakespeare used 'ye', there's a thing...
    ...Btw, lighten up, I never said 'ye' was wrong, I said Dubliners don't use it as a second person plural and I stick by that despite what you may have 'heard' on Boards.
    This is a humorous thread, or so I thought....over and out sourpuss:P

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

What say YOU?

As a young country soldier, I found myself in a Dublin Barracks on a course.
    The first order we received from the Sergeant was "Get yiz yizzer wheapons (yes, pronounced with a random extra h)and fall in"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I work with a lad from the west who is non stop obsessed with justifuying himself. He's constantly going on (unprompted) about how Dublin is awful and we're nothing but West Brits - for example he text me the other day to congratulate me on how well Team GB are doing in the Olympics! He nearly did a happy dance when Galway was awarded the City of Culture thing for 2020 or whenever, and I had to remind him that its not Dublin v Everywhere else, why can't we just be happy when anything good happens anywhere in the country. Apparently, only true Irish people come from outside the pale. Yet he lives in a satellite town and commutes to Dublin for work, as he knows well he wouldnt earn as much at home.

Comes across to me as massive inferiority complex and insecurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I work with a lad from the west who is non stop obsessed with justifuying himself. He's constantly going on (unprompted) about how Dublin is awful and we're nothing but West Brits - for example he text me the other day to congratulate me on how well Team GB are doing in the Olympics! He nearly did a happy dance when Galway was awarded the City of Culture thing for 2020 or whenever, and I had to remind him that its not Dublin v Everywhere else, why can't we just be happy when anything good happens anywhere in the country. Apparently, only true Irish people come from outside the pale. Yet he lives in a satellite town and commutes to Dublin for work, as he knows well he wouldnt earn as much at home.

That sounds almost as bad as when Dubs come down the country they feel the need to show how clever and hard they are. The normally tame accent is exaggerated and raised into sounding even more skanky and they feel the need to sound even more 'know it all' than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Ireland is full of brain dead twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »
    Dubs dislike everyone else so much they even have a name for them; culchies.
    This name isn't a term of endearment.

It's not THAT bad, I don't use it myself, not as keen on the name calling as you are. There's a set of thinking that it comes from Cúl and Tí, the back of the house. Country people more likely to enter friends and familys houses through the back door rather than the front door to avoid dragging dirt through the house.
    biko wrote: »
    We call Dubs Jackeens\Westbrits so I guess it evens out.

You call them worse than that Biko.

Threads like this and posts like this tend to inflame the imaginary divide. Biko doesn't have a clue what Dubs think, but claims to know! Laughable.

See Dublin and Galway in the top ten friendliest cities in the world... Unsurprisingly, Dublin ahead of Galway.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-galway-friendliest-2930752-Aug2016/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

John_Rambo wrote: »
    See Dublin and Galway in the top ten friendliest cities in the world... Unsurprisingly, Dublin ahead of Galway.

Dublin should read Temple Bar :)

What bugs me is that some people in the country pay their TV license only to get Fair City forced upon them.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

What say YOU?

I'm Dublin born and raised but I love the use of 'ye'. I've started using it myself! I'd prefer not to sound and act like everyone else if at all possible (I know that's not what you're saying btw).

I love having a laugh with the non-Dubs in work, but it goes both ways. It's most definitely a bit of fun.

• Advertisement

Dublin should read Temple Bar

A lot more to Dublin than Temple Bar. Lots of non-Dubs know this. Drop over to the Dublin City forum. Plenty of recommended stuff there for people that don't know the capital.
    What bugs me is that some people in the country pay their TV license only to get Fair City forced upon them.

Only Fair City? I'm sure there's other programs on TV.

A lot more to Dublin than Temple Bar. Lots of non-Dubs know this. Drop over to the Dublin City forum. Plenty of recommended stuff there for people that don't know the capital.

Oh I lived in Dublin long enough! I'll never get those years back ;)

I was pointing out that most tourists go to Dublin to sample the Guinness and enjoy the pubs around the city centre. Hence why they find it so friendly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Dublin should read Temple Bar :)

liking FC at the moment , apart from that prat Oisin or whatever the little sh!tbag's called - oh and that dippy kerry anne is getting on my tits at the moment

....Only Fair City? I'm sure there's other programs on TV.

Glenroe ... or is that finished now? :D

Temple Bar - is that the place where ye (see what I done) have to dodge falling masonry of the buildings there just as your walking past? :eek:

Glenroe ... or is that finished now? :D

Them were the days!

Finished a while ago now. Bracken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I work with a lad from the west who is non stop obsessed with justifuying himself. He's constantly going on (unprompted) about how Dublin is awful and we're nothing but West Brits - for example he text me the other day to congratulate me on how well Team GB are doing in the Olympics! He nearly did a happy dance when Galway was awarded the City of Culture thing for 2020

Are you living in frankfurt by any chance?Because I know a guy...ah forget about him,they should all get medals

Oh I lived in Dublin long enough! I'll never get those years back ;)

I was pointing out that most tourists go to Dublin to sample the Guinness and enjoy the pubs around the city centre. Hence why they find it so friendly. :)

It's obvoius you didn't make an effort to do the nice things in Dublin when you were in or near the city because you're showing you're ignorance here. I spend a lot more time in the capital than you do, so I know what I'm talking about!

The two most visited tourist attractions in Ireland are in Dublin, but not in Temple Bar. Fair enough, Temple Bar have the stag and hen scene wrapped up, but that's a minority. The majority of tourists spend time going to galleries, museums, attractions, breweries, distilleries, restaurants, bars, shows, cafés... etc, most of which are not in Temple Bar.

See, you're bitching about Dublin and you don't really know anything about it! The average French tourist knows more than you!

What say YOU?
    eet fuk wrote: »
    I'm Dublin born and raised but I love the use of 'ye'. I've started using it myself! I'd prefer not to sound and act like everyone else if at all possible (I know that's not what you're saying btw).

I love having a laugh with the non-Dubs in work, but it goes both ways. It's most definitely a bit of fun.

I agree, it's only a laugh.
    Btw, regarding my post at the top, on mature recollection I tell a lie, for (along with yourself) there is a Dubliner - at least he claims to be one - who uses 'ye' as a second person plural and that's Newstalk's Chris Donoghue, he's such a rebel I suppose.
    Good luck to you.

• Advertisement

It's obvoius you didn't make an effort to do the nice things in Dublin when you were in or near the city because you're showing you're ignorance here. I spend a lot more time in the capital than you do, so I know what I'm talking about!

The two most visited tourist attractions in Ireland are in Dublin, but not in Temple Bar. Fair enough, Temple Bar have the stag and hen scene wrapped up, but that's a minority. The majority of tourists spend time going to galleries, museums, attractions, breweries, distilleries, restaurants, bars, shows, cafés... etc, most of which are not in Temple Bar.

See, you're bitching about Dublin and you don't really know anything about it! The average French tourist knows more than you!

Yeah Yeah Yeah.

Most of your attractions are alcohol related. That's all Dublin is good for.

If tourists want to see the real Ireland they head to the Wild Atlantic Way.
    I spend a lot more time in the capital than you do, so I know what I'm talking about!

:D

I'll stay in my subsidised one-off house in the countryside if it's alright with you ;) I might even grow a row of spuds and carrots! :)

Advertisement