Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone stolen

Options
  • 07-08-2016 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

My iPhone 6 was stolen and I immediately used find my iPhone to remotely erase everything but this won't happen until it is connected to the internet.

Is there a way for seine to access my data even if they don't know my pass code?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I wouldn't worry about them accessing your data. Unless they're a really sofisticated criminal they won't have a chance of getting into the phone. Most likely they're looking to resell the device.

Unfortunately they most likely wiped the phone and removed all your data.

Hope you had it insured, not nice having something as personal as a phone stolen these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

DubDJ wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about them accessing your data. Unless they're a really sofisticated criminal they won't have a chance of getting into the phone. Most likely they're looking to resell the device.

Unfortunately they most likely wiped the phone and removed all your data.

Hope you had it insured, not nice having something as personal as a phone stolen these days.

Is it even possible to wipe it and sell it on?

Recently I had a legit reason for trying to get into an iPad and reset it, but I got nowhere without the previous users pin code and/or Apple ID and password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You can easily erase an iPhone without unlocking it. If it's been blacklisted then it's useless in the country where it was stolen. I'd say at this stage your phone has been wiped and will be up for sale on ebay UK where it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

smash wrote: »
    You can easily erase an iPhone without unlocking it. If it's been blacklisted then it's useless in the country where it was stolen. I'd say at this stage your phone has been wiped and will be up for sale on ebay UK where it will work.
    But it cannot be activated (great security feature that was part of iOS 7), assuming FMI was turned on, without the original owners Apple credentials, so in effect, its useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

tbh I'm not as concerned with finding the phone as I am with protecting my information, the phones insured so that end should be okay, I just really don't want to deal with the agro that comes along with the theft of my information.

FMI still says the erase is pending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It's probably been powered off. They won't be able to get into anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Thanks everybody, its definetly put my mind at ease :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The FBI struggled to access the data on a 5c so I definitely wouldn't worry about that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

DubDJ wrote: »
    The FBI struggled to access the data on a 5c so I definitely wouldn't worry about that part.

Exactly what I was about to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Am I right in thinking that once it has been set up using an Apple ID and password, then it's pretty much useless unless you know those details? Doesn't that make it almost un-saleable?

I think the OP data is safe, and I'm glad about that, but I just wanted to go slightly off topic if possible?

Thinking about the iPad I was trying to restore to factory settings and set up under a new user (legit reason, it was set up by an employee on leave and it was needed by the replacement employee). I could get nowhere at all because it needed the old Apple ID and password. It's basically a paperweight until the employee comes back. It functions, but it can't be customised for the new user and have new apps added.

Is the OP phone in the same situation? I'd like to think that Apple security has this kind of thing tied down, and that stolen phones are useless (hence making them less likely to be stolen in the first place).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Am I right in thinking that once it has been set up using an Apple ID and password, then it's pretty much useless unless you know those details? Doesn't that make it almost un-saleable?

I think the OP data is safe, and I'm glad about that, but I just wanted to go slightly off topic if possible?

Thinking about the iPad I was trying to restore to factory settings and set up under a new user (legit reason, it was set up by an employee on leave and it was needed by the replacement employee). I could get nowhere at all because it needed the old Apple ID and password. It's basically a paperweight until the employee comes back. It functions, but it can't be customised for the new user and have new apps added.

Is the OP phone in the same situation? I'd like to think that Apple security has this kind of thing tied down, and that stolen phones are useless (hence making them less likely to be stolen in the first place).

You can call Apple with a proof of purchase and get the apple id removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

They aren't completely useless after... They make great paper weights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

smash wrote: »

Not likely, iCloud locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have wondered this. What If you put it in dfu mode and restore it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I have wondered this. What If you put it in dfu mode and restore it?

If find my iPhone is on this info is stored on the secure enclave and remains even after a restore. Secure enclave only on phones 5s and above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

If find my iPhone is on this info is stored on the secure enclave and remains even after a restore. Secure enclave only on phones 5s and above.

I know the data is gone. But could the phone be used again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Phones like that can be used for parts. I am aware of cases where the inards of a phone did not match what the phone was supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I know the data is gone. But could the phone be used again?

Nope. As soon as you restore it asks for the Apple ID password that it's registered with and you cannot edit the Apple ID email.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If FMIP is on, any iOS 7 device, iPhone 4 onwards, will remember it even after the DFU mode restore, and won't allow you to use it unless you know the previous owners iCloud login details.

Nothing to do with secure enclave. The data on that is wiped when you erase the phone. Which is why you need to add your fingerprints and Apple Pay details every time you set up your phone either as new or from a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Patww79 wrote: »
    It won't stop them selling it and passing the problem on to a new owner though.

True.

Which is why any intelligent buyer should check www.icloud.com/activationlock with the device IMEI/Serial to make sure it's not iCloud locked.

Advertisement