Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whooping Cough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Bit of an odd article. Mentioned side effects etc but no links to papers or listing of the actual side effects.
    Also no mention that all vaccines need boosters after a number of years. And most people only get them in primary school and don't get them again for the rest of their life. Most vaccines need boosters every 8-10 yrs.
    also no mention of the fact that these illnesses are back mainly because of the anti vaxers.

I think most new mums thankfully know of the risk of whooping cough due to being offered the vaccine in pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's so frustrating the number of diseases that could have been consigned to history but for anti vaccine conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

gar32 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/whooping-cough-s-return-prompts-search-for-new-vaccine-1.2748484

Warning to keep babies away from people coughing. Adults can just seem to have a bad cough but after reading this news anyone could spread it.

It makes you think if there are any issues with other vaccines?

I doubt the issue is the actual vaccine itself. It has served it's purpose til now, let's face it. It's probably more the fact that society has changed so much since the vaccine developed that is really the issue. Way more factors like more vaccines, more travel, more antibiotics, huge changes in what we eat and how we live, and constant changes in the causes of these diseases as a result of all of those factors and more.

No vaccine is infallible. But they prevent thousands of deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

What are the "hidden problems" that are referred to in the article? Medical problems aren't normally "hidden". Is there some conspiracy here?

Usual Irish journalism, I could probably write a more informative article by googling rather than the one churned out in 5 minutes by the Irish Times when they supposedly have an expert with them.

So the vaccine doesn't last forever. Great. The next question I would have asked is how long does it last for? A month, a year, 10 years? Should our kids have a second shot after a period of time? It's a secret apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was advised to get the whooping cough vaccine during pregnancy, and did so because I needed the booster shot. My GP gets so angry when parents are flippant about the risks their children are exposed to because of some vaccine conspiracy nonsense they read online. Anti vaxxers get me riled up quicker than almost anything else, because they're bloody selfish, taking advantage of those of us responsible enough to ensure we vaccinate our children, and so bloody stupid, telling us they 'did their research' which always involves searching only for information that backs up their stance. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

lazygal wrote: »
    I was advised to get the whooping cough vaccine during pregnancy, and did so because I needed the booster shot. My GP gets so angry when parents are flippant about the risks their children are exposed to because of some vaccine conspiracy nonsense they read online. Anti vaxxers get me riled up quicker than almost anything else, because they're bloody selfish, taking advantage of those of us responsible enough to ensure we vaccinate our children, and so bloody stupid, telling us they 'did their research' which always involves searching only for information that backs up their stance. :mad:

I got the vaccine today... I'm 31 weeks pregnant. The Nurse was telling me that they have a patient who's baby is currently in icu with whooping cough. The baby is expected to make a full recovery thankfully. I know everyone has their own opinion about vaccines but I personally would never forgive myself if my baby ended up in hospital over something like this when I could have prevented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

And vaccines aren't 100% effective which I think people forget sometimes. S has no immunity at all to whooping cough despite being immunised so I hate hearing about it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Closed thread. OP please see charter, again, re: soapboxing. You are on your very very last warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

gar32 wrote: »
    It makes you think if there are any issues with other vaccines?

No there aren't. Now go away with your pseudo-scientific, illogical, scaremongering, rubbish. Why not go and campaign against Dihydrogen Monoxide instead? Sure accidental inhalation of DHMO can cause death even in small quantities. And this would be about as rational as your crusade against lifesaving vaccines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement