Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally - Lidl at Hanlon's

Options
  • 08-08-2016 8:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Judt passed by Hanlon's Corner and see hoarding up around the Rosses yard with Life signage.

Anyone know how soon it will be open.

Sadly it will be the end of the small shops in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Are there many small shops in the area? nearest small shop would be cabra road or park shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Fair few veg shops around Imaal Rd, Cara Rd and dowth avenue

I would say if the only thing that was keeping you shopping in the local veg shop was the lack of cheaper alternatives you've obviously not discovered Ireland's largest Tesco down the road, the other Tesco at Phibsboro...or the other tesco at Prussia streeet, if anything Lidl will just break tesco's monopoly(and estremely poor product selection) in the area.

cgcsb wrote: »
    I would say if the only thing that was keeping you shopping in the local veg shop was the lack of cheaper alternatives you've obviously not discovered Ireland's largest Tesco down the road, the other Tesco at Phibsboro...or the other tesco at Prussia streeet, if anything Lidl will just break tesco's monopoly(and estremely poor product selection) in the area.

I would say you're obviously right and I've never moved away from those few little streets in cabra**

**This may obviously not be true !

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I will probably still go to the small fruit and veg shops - they have good variety and the stuff is not overpackaged. Fresh market has a lot of specialty grocery stuff you wouldn't get in Lidl too. The Lidl will be handy for booze and for frozen stuff (and the random things you always end up buying in Lidl). I'd say their competition will be the Prussia St Tesco which is fairly useless and the Cabra Rd Centra which is really expensive.

Also got a note this morning about a planning app in for the Matt's pub site on Fassaugh Ave for retail and residential development - could be the same crowd that was trying to build behind Carnlough Road (totally unfounded speculation btw)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Both the Tesco on Prussia St. and in Phib are desperate. Maybe having the competition with Lidl there will mean they up their game. I had already heard there was plans for the Prussia St branch but not sure if it's true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

So this is going through then, excellent, I saw a planning application on a website, Lidl is excellent value compared to tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Used to live in that area back in 2005. The Tesco on Prussia Street has to be one of the worst supermarkets anywhere in Dublin, I remember often going in at 4pm on a Saturday and the shelves would be so bare youd think you were in communist Russia. Several times there would be no bread left whatsoever, it was like a pub that didnt have beer. Seems not much has changed in the last 10 years from what others here are saying so I bet Lidl will run rings around Tesco when they open up.

I wonder are Aldi sussing out the area too, they are normally not far behind Lidl when it comes to new locations.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Used to live in that area back in 2005. The Tesco on Prussia Street has to be one of the worst supermarkets anywhere in Dublin, I remember often going in at 4pm on a Saturday and the shelves would be so bare youd think you were in communist Russia. Several times there would be no bread left whatsoever, it was like a pub that didnt have beer. Seems not much has changed in the last 10 years from what others here are saying so I bet Lidl will run rings around Tesco when they open up.

I wonder are Aldi sussing out the area too, they are normally not far behind Lidl when it comes to new locations.

It'll be interesting to see, tesco items are way too expensive compared to Lidl

The Prussia st and Phibsboro tescos are terrible, next to nothing worth buying. The Maple Centre and Clearwater mega stores are only slightly better, still way too pricey for the quality of product. Tesco have the monopoly in the northwest of the city. We're talking a 100,000 population catchment surely? The new lidl will be very welcome in terms of price, variety and quality of product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah Dublin 7 and 9 are badly served in terms of supermarkets. Im lucky where I am in Charlestown, Finglas, there is a Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, Super Value and Iceland all within a 1km distance with Tesco Clearwater being just a little further. Not that I ever use it since their horse meat scandal, I just wouldnt trust them when it comes to food. They can be decent for electronics though but thats about it IMO.

Theyll need to up their game significantly in Prussia St and Phibsboro when Lidl open up. At least some long awaited competition should force them to tidy up those two stores which are both very dated and dont feel or look very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Aldi will be on Prussia St The Skoda Garage site.

Hootanany wrote: »
    Aldi will be on Prussia St The Skoda Garage site.

Are you just guessing this or is there planning permission?

Taps nose;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Delighted to hear this. I don't have a car and Tesco Prussia st. is my closest convenient major supermarket at around a 10min walk but as others have said it's pretty woeful, definitely the worst "regular size" tesco I've been to.

Taps nose;)

He's just guessing;)

There would be safety issues on the site with the presence of BA Engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Site looks like it's been cleared.

But don't assume they'll be cheaper.
    They had 4 peaches/ nectarines for 3.40 yesterday. I got 5 for €2 in the veg shop on the cabra Rd

He's just guessing;)

There would be safety issues on the site with the presence of BA Engineering.

Wink wink

Wink wink

You seem to have a problem with your facial muscles.... perhaps you should see your GP.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,168 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

shakin wrote: »

Bizarre article... a piece about planning permission for a particular LIDL store turns into a piece about Tesco share price and their new range of UK only products. Thanks, Irish Examiner.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Trucks on site today removing the rubble from what I assume was the big sheds in the yard

Theyre starting to build something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Some images of what it will look like after completion.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/take-look-new-lidl-store-12013312

ongarboy wrote: »
    Some images of what it will look like after completion.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/take-look-new-lidl-store-12013312

Why would resident's of Donard Terrace object to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Looks like Tesco on Prussia Street is to be redeveloped
    https://raymcadam.com/2016/10/10/stoneybatter-matters-autumn-2016/
    Both Minister Paschal Donohoe and I attended a recent Public Information meeting organised by the owner of the Park Shopping Centre where initial details of the proposed redevelopment were disclosed. From the information provided to us, a formal application for planning permission will be submitted by the end of October. However, some details have been shared with us including:

The plan to demolish all existing buildings on the site.
    Construction of three separate development blocks, ranging in height between five and seven storeys high.
    Purpose built student accommodation will be constructed above the ground floor retail units comprising of 568 bed spaces.
    TESCO will remain in the redevelopment as the main retail outlet.

mosi wrote: »
    Looks like Tesco on Prussia Street is to be redeveloped
    https://raymcadam.com/2016/10/10/stoneybatter-matters-autumn-2016/
    WHO never heard of him. Better if they put in a a right hand turning filter at Hanlon's Corner coming up Prussia St I met that xxxxet when he was first elected aired my observations still nothing chocolate teapot.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

WHO never heard of him. Better if they put in a a right hand turning filter at Hanlon's Corner coming up Prussia St I met that xxxxet when he was first elected aired my observations still nothing chocolate teapot.

Yeah, it's a terrible junction...I only saw the link on a local FB page, am not in the habit of following FG types!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WattWarrior

2 small shops closed in the Cabra area in the last two weeks.
    Ormsby on Quarry Road
    Tastie Bread on Cabra Road
    Maybe a sign of things to come with Cabra area becoming like Phibsborough with so many vacant retail units.

• Advertisement

Sad to hear of Tasty bread closing.

Advertisement