Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance - process for water damage

Options
  • 08-08-2016 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭

So we had a toilet blockage on the first floor of our house and I manage to unclog it after a few minutes with the plunger.

Pressed the flusher and then started hearing water running through the walls behind the toilet!

I ran downstairs and saw some water seeping down the walls, and now there's a lovely 1x1m sized water stain on the ceiling, so I assume there's a pool of water on the first floor under the floorboards.

Thankfully it only happens when the toilet is flushed.

This was spotted yesterday (Sunday evening) so I wasn't going to call the plumber until today, but I'm just curious what are the steps for contacting the home insurance (if required). Do I first get the plumber out, or do I contact the home insurance first to get a list of approved plumbers?

Should I exclude mentioning I used the plunger (as perhaps they will say the pressure caused by this burst the pipe), or having waited a day to contact plumber as these might affect my claim? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So reckon I should get the plumber over or wait for insurance company to suggest an approved one?

I've tried contacting the insurance company all day, but on a permanent waiting list!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't flush the toilet any further, for starters.

Generally failure to fix a problem as quickly as possible to stop further damage can impact your claim but if the policy offers home rescue services which you have attempted to get hold of and they haven't got back to you I would imagine they can't claim that.

L1011 wrote: »
    Don't flush the toilet any further, for starters.

Generally failure to fix a problem as quickly as possible to stop further damage can impact your claim but if the policy offers home rescue services which you have attempted to get hold of and they haven't got back to you I would imagine they can't claim that.

I guess I say the problem started last night? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

mrcheez wrote: »
    I guess I say the problem started last night? :)
    That would be fraud, but anyway your excess is prob 1000 for water damage so it might not be worth the claim if the bill is much more than that...

Lenny wrote: »
    That would be fraud, but anyway your excess is prob 1000 for water damage so it might not be worth the claim if the bill is much more than that...

It's 500. Anyway will contact them and see if they recommend a plumber.

• Advertisement
Advertisement