Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail Problem

Options
  • 08-08-2016 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have a gmail account and I stopped getting mail a few days ago.
    When I look for mail I get this

"Sending of password for user acreshill@gmail.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted."

It then wants me to change my password. and when I do I go back to the original message

"Sending of password for user acreshill@gmail.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Username and password not accepted."

Can someone help me with this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

jimfinoc wrote: »
    I have a gmail account and I stopped getting mail a few days ago.
    When I look for mail I get this

It then wants me to change my password. and when I do I go back to the original message

Can someone help me with this problem?

Based on your post, it appears that you're using a mail client rather than a web browser to access your Gmail account. You're specifically using POP3 rather than IMAP as the protocol for accessing your mail, which changes the behaviour you'll get from Gmail when accessing your account.

In my experience the way to make this usually work is that you have to create an application-specific password, and you use this to log into your account from the mail client (I've done this to access my Gmail account in Thunderbird, for example).

The first thing to do is check if you can access your Gmail account via a web browser using the account password. This makes sure you're not actually using an incorrect password/dealing with a compromised account where someone else has accessed the account and changed your password.

Once you have confirmed you can log into the account, go to the following address:
    https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords?pli=1

(If you want to get to the relevant page manually, go to https://accounts.google.com, select "Sign-in and Security", select "Signing in to Google", and click on "App passwords")

If you have a password listed for your application there, revoke it. Then use the drop-down menu below and click "Create" to generate a new app password to use with your email client.

Once you have a new app password, open your mail client and change the password. This should resolve your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

I am also using thunderbird. I cannot remember the password. When I can change it it will send the change to the email address. But I cannot get the mail because I'm locked out for some reason. Catch 22!!!

I also have another gmail account and have no problem with this. I have compared the setting and they are the same for both accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Thanks for the advice. I just got sorted.

Advertisement