Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Ripe Tom's

Options
  • 08-08-2016 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Delighted to check the greenhouse this morning and see the first 6 ripe tomatoes ready to pick

I have 12 plants, various varieties, planted in early April.
    Water every day, and plant food, a liquid, every 10 days

How is everyone else doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I've some nice fruit forming nothing to harvest yet though, it's a late year all round here

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

I have some cherry tomatoe plants and they started ripening about 3 weeks ago. They are outside at South West facing wall. The most delicious smelling and tasting tomatoes. Had brilliant crop and there are more left to ripen. To be honest I have done very little minding on them as I was away for a bit. They got fed while starting to appear and green and that was it. Will attempt bigger varieties next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Chickus wrote: »
    I have some cherry tomatoe plants and they started ripening about 3 weeks ago. They are outside at South West facing wall. The most delicious smelling and tasting tomatoes. Had brilliant crop and there are more left to ripen. To be honest I have done very little minding on them as I was away for a bit. They got fed while starting to appear and green and that was it. Will attempt bigger varieties next year.

As a matter of interest, what variety are you growing? I planted a variety, Garden Pearl, first time to grow tomatoes, but got a free pack with an online seed order, so decided to have a go. Great crop but something lacking in the flavour department, would prefer a stronger flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

I picked them up in homebase, and the type is "Shirley".

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I did a bit of experimenting this year - bought all grafted tomatoes, from Suttons. Tried 3 Gardeners Delight in Plant Halos in a raised veg bed against a south facing wall and a mixed pack of three different varieties in tomato grow bags (Brandy Boy, Sweet Millions, Alicante) with three support types, a plant halo, a tomato cage and some good old bamboo canes on a west facing sheltered deck. All fed and watered on the same schedule.

Plant Halos are by far the winners, even in the summer storms they've stayed upright with no damage and the water reservoir works really well.

All four varieties are cropping well and just starting to ripen. Gardner's delight are ahead of the others. Brandy Boy is odd, strange massive leaves that aren't at all tomato shaped and the flowers are different too but it's cropping huge beef tomatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a small box a day here of tomatoes, planted outside, love this time of year. Total glut of plums too.
    Next will be the apples in a few weeks :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement