Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitchen layout

Options
  • 08-08-2016 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are currently sale agreed on our first home and have been planning some renovations for when we move in which will hopefully be early September.

We have decided on a new kitchen and while putting in a new one I would like to move the kitchen from one side of the room to the other as I feel this would create a more spacious feel. The wall I would like to move the kitchen to is a 4.32m external wall which currently hosts the only radiator in the room. I have many questions that I would appreciate any advice on as follows:

- Is this possible
    - Is the destination wall big enough for a full kitchen
    - What do i need to look out for
    - What tradesmen do I need for the job
    - Rough timeframe for completion

Seperately, I plan to use Noyeks for the kitchen/floors/doors etc as we have a family friend that works there. Does anybody have any feedback on the quality of their products?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The biggest job will be moving services (water, waste water especially) from one side to the other. Moving the rad will also be an issue obviously. That will determine how feasible the project is at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I dont know when your planning on doing the work but if you can give it a bit of time to see what you want/need or even like about your kitchen space,and what you want to change..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mark is right. This is a major piece of work. You would need to be sure that it delivers as big a change as you think.
    Not saying don't do it but it has to justify the work involved, not depend on a hunch.
    This refers to moving the kitchen not your desire to replace the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭julio arca

Many thanks for feedback. The reasoning behind the proposed move is to create space. The room is an L shape with a wrap around kitchen on one side which makes the room feel a little cramped. I am certain it would have the desired effect if the destination wall was big enough and the cost of conversion wasn't overbearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whats overbearing though?

In order to move services you may have to

A) dig the floor out
    B) Run services through joists if the floor is floating.

Have you factured in new floor throughout.

The radiator alone can be capped but a replacement would be needed to heat the room.

The running of the services here is going to be key. You are better off getting a quote from renovation companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It also probably means digging up the footpath and drilling through the wall for grey and potable water.
    This kind of job that sounds simple, tends to have legs.
    That is why it would need to be a big improvement, not just a whim.

Separate the ideas of a new kitchen from relocating it. Evaluate both separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

In terms of size- I have my full kitchen, excluding the fridge freezer running along one wall, which is 19ft- I think just over 5metres- it's big enough from the point of view of cupboards, but worktop space is a bit tight.
    My advice would be, if possible- put a tall larder press at one end, to give plenty storage space for food- I did this, and it's great! try and position things so you have one long stretch of worktop. Mine is very broken up by the hob and the sink. Try get a cupboard for the microwave to avoid it taking up a big chunk of worktop space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you are redesigning... the cooker,fridge,and sink should be in a triangle... and close (ish) to each other...
    Our dishwasher and sink are right by cupboards and drawers for ware and cutlery.
    Make sure you have plenty ofspace either side of sink and cooker too.( you'd be amazed ,they get stuck in a corner)
    I have 2 narrow ,cupboards at eyeline either side of the hob, for sauces ect i'll want when cooking...
    Rant over... for now ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement