Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight training for fat loss

• 08-08-2016 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭

January this year I joined a local operation transformation group and since then I've lost just under 22kg. I'm 5'8" and I'm 101.2kg now.
    I play squash a couple of times during the week so not looking to get really big or anything from weights but I'm kinda lost in the gym.

I've looked for programs but a lot of them have cable machines which the gym doesn't have. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What does the gym have?

Plenty of decent programmes out there that won't require cable machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's only a small gym in the squash club and I probably aren't using the right names but there's leg press
    Leg extension
    Machine for hamstrings
    Lat pull down
    Pec deck - use a bench and much the same movement as chest press but slightly arcing back
    Not sure of the name but you sit into it with elbows bent and arms straight up and press your elbows to the front
    Rack for bench pressing
    Hack squat machine
    Seated bench press machine
    Bicep curl machine
    Seated row I think it's called but you have your chest against a pad and pull towards you
    There's 2 benches 2 barbells an ez curl bar and lots of dumbells.

There's 2 threadmills, 2 cross trainers and 2 bikes as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

guil wrote: »
    It's only a small gym in the squash club and I probably aren't using the right names but there's leg press

Sounds like a standard set of equipment, I'm sure the club can advise you a routine to follow, because if they can't they really shouldn't have the equipment. That said, do a bike/treadmill warmup for ten to fifteen minutes, then three circuits of all the weight machines doing 10-12 reps each with appropriate resistance followed by stretches & a warm down. This would be a good place to start. Work all the muscle groups.

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Sounds like a standard set of equipment, I'm sure the club can advise you a routine to follow, because if they can't they really shouldn't have the equipment. That said, do a bike/treadmill warmup for ten to fifteen minutes, then three circuits of all the weight machines doing 10-12 reps each with appropriate resistance followed by stretches & a warm down. This would be a good place to start. Work all the muscle groups.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well done on losing all that weight!!

• Advertisement

Cheers, the difference is unbelievable in every way.

Advertisement