Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a 27K salary enough in Limerick?

• 08-08-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am 23, currenty living in France.

I will relocate in Limerick next month. I'm really excited about moving in Ireland. I have a few questions about the city however.

I will make 27K per yer and ideally would like to live on my own (a small studio would be okay for me) but I can share, if I have to.
    Do you think that would be okay to live comfortably ? (cover all my expensives, go out once a week, travel close on weekends from time to time)

Also, is it difficult to find accommodation in the city? I've been looking on a few websites already but it doesn't look like they have a lot of listings in Limerick.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

27K gross is only €23,042 nett of deductions, so €1920 a month roughly.

I think you would find it tight but do-able. If you found a house share you would be better off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi,

Welcome to Boards.ie and welcome to Limerick. :)

I would agree with the other person that house sharing is the best way to go. It would give you the opportunity to make some new friends quickly and to keep your costs down.

You probably have found it already but www.daft.ie would be the most popular way of advertising properties in the Limerick area.

Accommodation across Ireland is quite difficult to find at the moment, building was almost completely halted during the recession and now with the economy recovering supply is an issue.

Also if you want to meet some new people there are some Limerick groups on www.meetup.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

for a single person this will be more than just "OK". 1k for a studio+bills and you can blow the rest on food/going out/trips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

FearlessBK wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am 23, currenty living in France.

I will relocate in Limerick next month. I'm really excited about moving in Ireland. I have a few questions about the city however.

I will make 27K per yer and ideally would like to live on my own (a small studio would be okay for me) but I can share, if I have to.
    Do you think that would be okay to live comfortably ? (cover all my expensives, go out once a week, travel close on weekends from time to time)

Also, is it difficult to find accommodation in the city? I've been looking on a few websites already but it doesn't look like they have a lot of listings in Limerick.

Thanks in advance!

It's more than doable depending on extra expenses. You might have issues with getting a decent/cheap place to rent of the kind you want because recently rent has gone up quite a bit considering Limerick is not Dublin and you don't have the same stuff available.

Start looking in Daft for a place to live now, after September is going to be more difficult with the students taking all the places. Check the forum for good areas to live in

And don't be too horrified by the price of food compared to France, as I'm pretty sure it's going to be more expensive than there. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

The standard of accommodation in Limerick centre is poor in my view, plus it's very quite during the week, not much happening. I moved to limerick about 18 months ago and was amazed at how quite it is at night time during the week. One piece of advice would be buy a bike if you don't have a car. Public transport is limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

If you're single with only rent and shared bills to pay, you'll live pretty comfortably on €27k. Limerick is generally not that expensive.

In terms of looking for accommodation - one of the best places to find a house share is in the classified section of the Limerick Post newspaper. The link below is for the digital edition. The accommodation listings are usually on page 56 or thereabouts. You will always have young professionals advertising house shares or spare rooms here, so it's a great place to look. Best of luck, just leave any Thierry Henry French shirts at home :P

http://www.limerickpost.ie/digital-edition/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

New Uber Employee ?????

Advertisement