Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mower cutting out

Options
  • 08-08-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower that will only start if I put petrol in the carb cup and then after a few seconds it cuts out...no idea around these things and I'm hoping for advice please and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Needs a service. If you, like me would not know enough about 2 stroke engines, take it to a professional.
    More than likely spark plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Patrickcy wrote: »
    I have a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower that will only start if I put petrol in the carb cup and then after a few seconds it cuts out...no idea around these things and I'm hoping for advice please and thanks

Dirt in the carb/jets blocked.....drain all petrol, clean tank, remove carb and clean...its easy enough...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Youtube is your friend here. I had problems with a similar engine and youtube videos helped me identify and resolve the problem with basic DIY skills. Parts can all be easily ordered online. Takes the hassle out of carting in off to be serviced and paying handsomely for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Definitely sounds like a fuel starvation issue. All of the above are great tips. First thing might be to check is if fuel is arriving at your carb. Make sure you have fuel in your tank and screw on the cap tight. Have a rag and container ready for spillage and remove the fuel line from the carb. Fuel should flow freely from the line. Give it a few minutes to make sure it continues to flow unhindered. If it starts to die off, unscrew the fuel cap and see if it flows more freely. If that is the case, the fuel cap may be clogged and need to be cleaned or replaced. (It has to allow air into the fuel tank for good flow).

After that, then follow fox0512 and tabnabs advice on a strip down and clean. Good luck!

Advertisement