Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress fracture complications

Options
  • 08-08-2016 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for help desperately:)
    In May 2015 I did a half marathon in Vivo barefoots and gave myself a stress fracture in my right tibia.
    I was off running for about 10 months and after finally deciding that I was ok to run, I started back doing training but it didn't last long. I suffer with burning shins when I do any kind of running which I know is a symptom of shin splints but as I was off for nearly a year there is no chance that it's that.
    My physio has said that since I wasn't running for a long time I can expect to have burning shins which I accepted but I'm afraid I don't buy it now.
    I am always so active and even when I was off running, I was mountain walking, cycling. I know my fracture has healed as I don't get any pain there and I have messed around doing the high jump at a friends.
    I'm really desperate and don't know what's wrong, I just want to get back running. I have lost faith in physios as the last guy I went to who is an expert in his field, just gave me a load of waffle as far as I'm concerned.
    I can't run without getting this burning in both shins and after a few days it goes and then I'm out for a walk and try a slight run and after the jog the burning starts again.
    Does anyone have an idea what this could be. This has gone on for 15 months now.
    Can anyone help please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I always stay amazed on how not just you, but people in general, refuse to believe experts and will rather believe unknowns from online forum (not attacking you mate, just saying my opinion). If you don't trust your physio go and get another one, ask around for better one until you're satisfied with one. My search wasn't short or nice, but now I have a physio who I really trust and who has gotten me out of all issues I had up until now (shin splints included). Also, unfortunately, a lot of injuries are getting back (again, shin splints included) for the 2nd or 3rd time way more easy than the 1st time (again, only my opinion) so we tend to be critical towards the diagnoses no matter if they're right or not...

When it comes to my opinion on the issue (non-professional - my first suggestion, again, is to find professional help) it can indeed be just some pain on your way back from not training for long time. Maybe you just need to back off a bit, have a bit lower intensity/quantity of trainings and hold through till your legs are fully back on board. Also, I wouldn't discredit possibility of having typical shin splints - with no training and by doing a lot activities quite heavy on your legs (mountain climbing and even jumping) your legs could have developed "old issues"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

As per forum charter, no medical advice allowed on these pages. Feel free to recommend a physio/physical therapist, but do NOT offer any medical advice or bans will happen. Thanks. Mods

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

non weight bearing training and than gradualy buiding it up MIGHT help
    aqua jogging first
    0 G treadmil as next step ( expesive but worth a try)
    run walk run walk next step

if you know it dosnt work running i guess you have to try other things could be something wrong with your technique.
    there could be an inbalance etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

marcus1981 wrote: »
    ..off running for about 10 months and after finally deciding that I was ok to run, I started back doing training but it didn't last long. I suffer with burning shins when I do any kind of running which I know is a symptom of shin splints but as I was off for nearly a year there is no chance that it's that. ...

Shin splints are a classic overuse injury.

Every january thousands of people suffer them after jumping back into exercise.

Wind it back, address why you got a stress fracture (over training? footwear? form? etc) and build back very slowly with something as simple and basic as a C25k program and let the body get used to it again.

Find another physio if you don't trust the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

sconhome wrote: »
    Shin splints are a classic overuse injury.

Every january thousands of people suffer them after jumping back into exercise.

Wind it back, address why you got a stress fracture (over training? footwear? form? etc) and build back very slowly with something as simple and basic as a C25k program and let the body get used to it again.

Find another physio if you don't trust the first.

Low bone density can also contribute to stress fractures, particularly in women. (I believe you are of the male persuasion, but still....)

• Advertisement
Advertisement