Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Did Not Register Tenancy With RTB

Options
  • 08-08-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong category as I couldn't find accommodation.

I have been renting an apartment since June 2012 and only last June 2015 upon my most recent lease renewal I received a letter saying I was now a registered tenant with the PRTB.

I was completely oblivious to all of this until I read about it recently.

Does the fact I was only registered last year mean my previous renting arrangement was done on illegal grounds?
    Is there anything I should have done?
    Would it mean the landlord has not been paying tax on the rent prior to this?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

This is nothing to do with you as the tenant and is to do with the landlord. You still have the same rights as any other tenancy. It is the landlords obligation to register with the PRTB and not the tenant.

The landlord may or may not have been paying tax before. It is impossible to say for sure. If they have not, then they soon will be as the PRTB and revenue actively exchange information.

Best regards

dbran

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Most definitely not the right place for this - moved to Accommodation & Property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP your landlord may well have registered the tenancy from the start but the RTB were and are awful at sending out the notices and other paperwork, I wouldn't be surprised if the notice you received referred to your original tenancy date.

I wouldn't worry about it, the places I've lived and currently live have never been registered with the RTB and it's never concerned me nor made any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It would only bite the landlord in the backside, not the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is absolutely no indication that anything untoward has happened.
    You also cannot make any assumptions whatsoever as to the tax compliance of your landlord.
    As a tenant- it doesn't affect you in any manner whatsoever, nor should you be concerned by it.
    If the landlord is not, or has not been compliant- he/she may face sanction (by Revenue)- however, its nothing whatsoever to do with you- and doesn't affect you in any manner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You also cannot make any assumptions whatsoever as to the tax compliance of your landlord.
    As a tenant- it doesn't affect you in any manner whatsoever, nor should you be concerned by it.
    If the landlord is not, or has not been compliant- he/she may face sanction (by Revenue)- however, its nothing whatsoever to do with you- and doesn't affect you in any manner.

I agree with this as it pertains to RTB registration. But what if the tenant had reason to believe the landlord was non-resident? His landlord's tax compliance would be his or her concern then, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I will be applying for citizenship in a couple of years. I'm told that if my tenancy has not been registered with the PRTB, I cannot prove that I had a tenancy to the satisfaction of Immigration. So it does indeed affect me as a tenant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can if you are paying by direct debit,you are also entitled to a rent book or receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Speedwell wrote: »
    I will be applying for citizenship in a couple of years. I'm told that if my tenancy has not been registered with the PRTB, I cannot prove that I had a tenancy to the satisfaction of Immigration. So it does indeed affect me as a tenant.

That's nonsense, a tenant has no responsibility to ensure a landlord complies and the trb are ****e at updating their records anyway. Rent going out of your account, rentbook if you pay cash should be more than sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In the various properties I've rented over the years, I've never once received any communication from the PTRB outlining I am registered with them as a tenant. Ever

And I know for a fact two of the properties landlords were experienced and all above board. I'd put it down to administration backlog, inefficiencies before I'd point the finger at the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Unless of course the LL is resident outside the State, in which case it becomes very much the tenant's concern as they are (bizarrely) supposed to act as tax collectors in those cases if the tenancy isn't being managed by an Estate Agent who is doing this for them.

EDIT: OR what Sad Professor said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Moonbeam wrote: »
    You can if you are paying by direct debit,you are also entitled to a rent book or receipts.

Actually I've never been given these in all the places I've rented - whether it be dealing direct with a LL or via an EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The OP has said nothing about the LL being non-resident, only that they may have not been registered previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

Well, it does affect me as I am currently looking for a new place to rent and already 2 letting agencies have advised they may require PRTB documentation to prove I was renting, alongside a landlord reference which you would have imagined would negate this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

foggy_lad wrote: »
    OP your landlord may well have registered the tenancy from the start but the RTB were and are awful at sending out the notices and other paperwork, I wouldn't be surprised if the notice you received referred to your original tenancy date.

It's just a bit of a coincidence that I received the registration letter days after the newest lease was signed. He is now kicking us out after this lease saying his son is moving in. Being cynical, he could be trying to iron things out legally before we move out thinking we may have copped onto something suspect, i.e. That we were not registered with the PRTB.

Advertisement