Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leyland/Lawson Cypress

Options
  • 08-08-2016 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Can someone tell me, I am aware that Leyland Cypress are very fast growing and hard to control.

However, are Lawson Cypress the same, i.e. do they quickly get out of control and grow to an unmanageable height?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fichtl wrote: »
    Can someone tell me, I am aware that Leyland Cypress are very fast growing and hard to control.

However, are Lawson Cypress the same, i.e. do they quickly get out of control and grow to an unmanageable height?
    Lawson's are generally a foot - foot and a half a year, compared to the claimed up to 3foot a year of Leylandii.

Although the Leylandii I planted haven't grown much faster than Lawson's to be honest, as of yet - I planted with my eye's wide open about the Leylandii. IIRC ultimate heights are similar, which is why I went for supposedly faster growing option as I was looking for full trees in the site I planted them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

No. Lawson cypress grows more slowly and is more compact. It's also much more wind firm- leylandii are inherently unstable as they have a very poor root system.
    There are many varieties of Lawson-from the original which is effectively a forest tree, to many cultivars of varying color and size.

Advertisement