Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CBF1000 Rear Suspension

• 08-08-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Anyone here with a CBF1000 know what setting their rear suspension setting is at. It says in the manual that the normal setting is 3 and there is 7 settings. I think mine is at the min or max setting, i'm not sure which. I tried moving with a c spanner but i didnt put much force into it. When it is 2 up it will sometimes bottom out on bumpy road if i'm going a little quick. The previous owner doesn't know either.Also it is easy to adjust and is it clockwise or anticlockwise its turned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Are there no numbers on it..?? theyre usually lefty loosey righty tighty....meaning if you put the spanner on it and youre on the right hand side ,moving the spanner towards you will decrease the spring pressure...softer..

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

No there are no numbers on it. I will look closely later just to be sure. I've a feeling that it could be at the minimum though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

ive a CBF1000..When spring is at it tightest it's at max preload..you should know by looking at it..AFAIK anti clock wise will reduce preload.. clockwise to increase..higher preload needed for two up..

Zipppy wrote: »
    ive a CBF1000..When spring is at it tightest it's at max preload..you should know by looking at it..AFAIK anti clock wise will reduce preload.. clockwise to increase..higher preload needed for two up..

Thanks Zipppy, ya it was at the minimum. I wasnt sure first as the adjuster was a bit hard to move. I've it at setting 4 now and its much better when 2 up. Overall I think they're a great bike for the money.

Ok I'm back asking CBF rear questions now :)
    Was down the bog on it recently and spent most of the time out of seat trying to keep bike under control (no fun)

I'm a very light fecker...very..so I'm assuming I need this at almost lowest setting (maybe setting 2?)
    I'm also assuming, re previous posts, that if I'm on RH side of bike and I move C spanner towards me that I'm reducing preload? Assuming I am correct I need to click away towards me until I'm on second last setting (2?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can you post a picture of it? Bonus points for getting it in focus and the right way up :pac:

Scrap the cap!

Ok I'm back asking CBF rear questions now :)
    Was down the bog on it recently and spent most of the time out of seat trying to keep bike under control (no fun)

I'm a very light fecker...very..so I'm assuming I need this at almost lowest setting (maybe setting 2?)
    I'm also assuming, re previous posts, that if I'm on RH side of bike and I move C spanner towards me that I'm reducing preload? Assuming I am correct I need to click away towards me until I'm on second last setting (2?)
    If you are reducing the compression on the spring you are going the right way to reduce preload. I've mine at 4 now and it is much better for 2 up.

Bit dirty like....

That's almost at the softest end of its travel which is probably far too soft unless you're Dani Pedrosa on a crash diet.

Scrap the cap!

That's almost at the softest end of its travel which is probably far too soft unless you're Dani Pedrosa on a crash diet.

Well I'm a bit heavier than Pedrosa..but not a lot..:cool:

I think this is position 3 ??? Y/N ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sag measurement.

1.You need to measure the suspension completely unloaded on a paddock stand or similar.
    Height from rear axle to a point on the bodywork vertically above the axle.
    record this figure.

2.Remove the stand and hold the bike upright and bounce it a couple of times to loosen it a little.
    Measure the same point again and record this figure.

3. Get all your gear on and sit on the bike. get someone else to record this last measurement.

You now have the 3 measurements you need to calculate rear wheel sag.
    The static sag is the difference between #1 and #2 measurements.
    Rider sag is the difference between #1 and #3

Static sag should be between 5-10mm and rider sag 30-40mm depending on bike, you can adjust the preload to get in the range and then ride it to see how it feels.

Well I'm a bit heavier than Pedrosa..but not a lot..:cool:

I think this is position 3 ??? Y/N ?
    Looks like 3 and that's whats recommended in the manual as the standard setting

hondavfr wrote:
    Looks like 3 and that's whats recommended in the manual as the standard setting

Grand job...will try it out over weekend...hopefully I'll spend some time in the saddle now...

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sag measurement.

1.You need to measure the suspension completely unloaded on a paddock stand or similar.

Most paddock stands lift up the end of the swingarm, so the suspension is loaded.You'd need a centre stand, or the stands that go onto the swingarm pivot.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement