Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending underground?

Options
  • 08-08-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As i understand, you can extend your home without planning permission by up to 40 square meters, providing you stay at least x metres from the boundary, etc.

My question is, does this include/exclude extending underground?

I plan to put a stairs along one side of my kitchen leading down to a small pantry, as is common in dutch and german houses (our parents are from Holland and Germany respectively).

Does the 40sqm count on the footprint of the house, or by the floorplan?
    Can i build this, and also the external 40m? etc, etc.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You need planning as it's adding another floor to your house.

You find basements in cold climates which we don't really have. Its rare to go past freezing here for any substantial period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Hi all,

As i understand, you can extend your home without planning permission by up to 40 square meters, providing you stay at least x metres from the boundary, etc.

My question is, does this include/exclude extending underground?

I plan to put a stairs along one side of my kitchen leading down to a small pantry, as is common in dutch and german houses (our parents are from Holland and Germany respectively).

Does the 40sqm count on the footprint of the house, or by the floorplan?
    Can i build this, and also the external 40m? etc, etc.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

CC.

Any excavation over 1m in depth requires planning permission.
    You then have building regulation compliance as you are adding an additional storey and you will have tough structural designs to be taken cared of.

Advertisement