Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will adding mum as named driver bring price down?

Options
  • 08-08-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm due to sit the driving test is the next 10-12 weeks and the finances are quite healthy so owning my own car is no longer a pipe dream.
    Im currently names on mums policy until end of september.
    Question is when i take out my own policy, will adding my mum (who's has never made a claim in my lifetime) bring down the cost of my policy.
    I like the idea of mum having the use of my car so adding her would be a no brainer if it also saved me money.

PS I'm 23, 1 year as named driver.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have 4 names on my policy and it certainly brought down the price. Check it out with your insurance company first 'cos not all companies will do that. If they do then add more family members if you can. I did it as I felt it was useful in case of emergency all the family can drive my car insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Adding your mother to you policy won't bring down the cost of your insurance. Your mother can still drive your car under her own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Shop around, depends on the insurance company. I tried 6 or 7. Two brought it down (although one was still priced far higher than anyone else), two increased the premium slightly and the rest stayed pretty much the same. From memory, Liberty were one of the ones who decreased the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrroboto

thanks for the replies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Just had a look at some figures I had jotted down in my notepad in work. I got a quote from Axa for €898. When I added my Mum to it, the premium reduced to €818. Mightn't be the same for everyone, but they'd be worth getting in touch with maybe. Also Liberty reduced my premium by €23 after I added my Mum to it. Aviva, Alliance and AIG all increased my premium when I added her as a named driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

Added my gf who has a learner permit to mine and it reduced by 50 euro, however the BOI quote increased when I added her. Like everything insurance wise, price around every site you have time to do, try different options and follow up with phone calls. It's a huge pain in the a*s but no way around it.

Advertisement