Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roll on lawn

Options
  • 08-08-2016 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

After renovating the house and garden in 2010 we laid roll on gras to our lawn as it was coming too late in the season to put in seed. My question is does roll on lawns have a lifespan after which they should be replaced. I am fighting a loosing battle every year to keep the lawn someway presentable but it's starting to get the better of me. We employed a contractor to install cobblelock and do the garden but I have no idea where he sourced the roll on turf for the lawn. It appears constantly dry and lifeless and is about 50% weeds. There is areas of different colours as if the turf came from two different patches. I'm constantly feeding it with fertiliser and lawn food but it still looks bad. It even has different growth rates on different parts of the lawn. So I'm wondering is it time to dig it all up and start again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

After a year it should have settled in and be not much different to a sown lawn. You may well be over feeding if you are constantly applying fertilizer and lawn food - which is fertilizer.

Water it well, apply a lawn weed killer if you don't mind inorganic treatments.

Drainage may be a problem in that it is too dry. Was it lain on soil or sandy builders waste? Was it well watered for the first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I didn't see the laying process but it can't have been very good as there are low and high spots now. There was a footpath we removed going through what is now the middle of the lawn and this is the worst area and always has been. If I don't feed and water this patch regularly the grass actually stars to die off and black patches appear. I always suspected the rubble from the footpath wasn't removed to a proper depth before laying the turf. The area should have good drainage it is sloped and never appears soggy underfoot.
    Could you recommend a good lawn weed killer please

Advertisement