Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultrabook advice

Options
  • 08-08-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all, looking for opinions.

I have had and LOVED a Vaio Z series (2012) model, which has fairly recently packed in pretty much - mostly my own fault as I sadly spilled water all over it. Suffice to say it's gone.

I need a new Ultrabook, thankfully money not really a problem as work will cover it. Here's what I prioritise -

1) fast, SSD 256/512 minimum as I use a lot of databases and statistical analysis so need to run queries on (literally) millions of data points. My vaio was good for this.
    2) lightweight and ultra portable, very important in my job, 13" would be perfect size
    3) Decent screen resolution - I also do a lot of graphic design etc
    4) Good memory card - I need a lot of data with me and ideally to be accessible rather than on an external device
    5) Probably I'll stick with PC as I use Corel Draw which isn't Mac compatable. Unless I teach myself how to use Illustrator for Mac, could be an option but would rather PC.

Not important to me
    1) touchscreen
    2) long battery life (I mostly bring charger everywhere)
    3) gaming capabilities - I don't do any gaming

Looked at the HP Spectre and looks good. Anyone else any good recommendations? Heard something about Sony resurrecting the Z series - has anyone heard or seen one? I can't see any online.

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The HP Spectre is a beautiful machine, and I would love to buy one. (But i don't need a new machine yet :()

The spec's are pretty good all right.

You have the latest intel processors, so speed will be no problem, and with 8GB ram, you will be able to operate different software simultaneously with ease. You have 2 wi-fi antennas so you will be getting better reception than your ordinary laptop. It's also USB type C, which is becoming the industry standard.

The price is good too. The top spec is $1250 currently on sale at $1100. Less than €1K

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/spectre-355003--1#!&Tab=vao

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The Dell XPS15 is a super option too, although a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Asus Zenbook is another good option. Fairly priced too.

Advertisement