Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He just won't eat!!

Options
  • 08-08-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I have a 20 month old and he's just not eating! At his last developmental check he was in the 10th percentile for his weight and 60th for his height. So far today he has had a few Rice Krispies, 3 teaspoons of beans and some rice cakes. Bedtime now and he'll have a bottle of milk. He's grouchy all the time and I know his teeth are at him but I think he's just hangry! I don't want to give in and give him crisps, chocolate, chips and stuff I know he'd eat more of because I feel that I'm giving into him but I'm so worried he's not eating enough. He's a little whippet compared to his pals his age. His trousers are 9-12 months! So should I give in to him and give him stuff I know he'll eat even though it's unhealthy or persevere with regular dinners and hope he'll get an appetite for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Are you offering a varied and balanced range of foods? We're no nonsense about eating in our house, within reason as there's things I don't like myself. But generally, they're offered what we're all eating and it's take it or leave it. I know some friends who adopted a more snacky approach, leaving out cut up fruit and veg on the table for their children to pick at rather than forcing them to sit at the table.
    I would not go down the road of offering sugary foods to tempt him to eat. That's a sure fire way to limit his diet to complete junk food. There's a book called My Child Won't Eat that may help. And ignore those percentile checks-someone has to be at the high and low end.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

lazygal wrote: »
    Are you offering a varied and balanced range of foods? We're no nonsense about eating in our house, within reason as there's things I don't like myself. But generally, they're offered what we're all eating and it's take it or leave it. I know some friends who adopted a more snacky approach, leaving out cut up fruit and veg on the table for their children to pick at rather than forcing them to sit at the table.
    I would not go down the road of offering sugary foods to tempt him to eat. That's a sure fire way to limit his diet to complete junk food. There's a book called My Child Won't Eat that may help. And ignore those percentile checks-someone has to be at the high and low end.

No. It's a very healthy and balanced diet. My other boy is thriving on it. I allow the odd treat but in the main it's a varied and healthy. I will check out that book. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is his tummy filling up with drinks? Maybe Don't give him drinks an hour before meals, and I'd think about dropping that bottle as well.

Don't even have the junk in the house, and especially not on view. Ricecakes and rice crispies wouldn't be much nutritional value either unfortunetly.

Swap in wholegrain Toast with real butter. Have porridge? Does he like potatos? (Not in chip form) How is he with fruit and yoghurts? Mine would eat their own weight in oranges, bananas and strawberries if I left them.

How's your own diet? It's everyone eat the same thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    I have a 20 month old and he's just not eating! At his last developmental check he was in the 10th percentile for his weight and 60th for his height. So far today he has had a few Rice Krispies, 3 teaspoons of beans and some rice cakes. Bedtime now and he'll have a bottle of milk. He's grouchy all the time and I know his teeth are at him but I think he's just hangry! I don't want to give in and give him crisps, chocolate, chips and stuff I know he'd eat more of because I feel that I'm giving into him but I'm so worried he's not eating enough. He's a little whippet compared to his pals his age. His trousers are 9-12 months! So should I give in to him and give him stuff I know he'll eat even though it's unhealthy or persevere with regular dinners and hope he'll get an appetite for them?

You don't want to give home "more" chocolate, crisps, ships and stuff. Maybe start off reducing these foods for a 20month old as they should be having none of these. The danger is your training his taste for these and at that age he's just craving these bad foods.

I'd cut out all these trash foods and he'll soon develop an appetite for proper food. It might be hard and make him more cranky short term but worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Refined sugar should be kept as far away from children as possible.

Try introducing fruit to the cereal as a start. Blueberries are great and kids tend to like their sweet flavour. Also little wholemeal toastie fingers with cheese and a low salt ham / chicken breast are handy and tasty.

Many kids go through poor eating phases. My ds stopped eating foods he once loved at that age (like bananas) and wont eat them since! My youngest is 14 months and absolutely hates bananas, no matter how I give them, hide them etc she still knows they're there and won't eat it! And I myself love bananas so it's just one of those things.

They love satsumas, pineapple, Apple, blueberries and raspberries though.

It's perfectly ok for children to not like certain foods, just like adults do. Once you are consistent with trying new foods and try the foods they don't like a number of times.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    You don't want to give home "more" chocolate, crisps, ships and stuff. Maybe start off reducing these foods for a 20month old as they should be having none of these. The danger is your training his taste for these and at that age he's just craving these bad foods.

I'd cut out all these trash foods and he'll soon develop an appetite for proper food. It might be hard and make him more cranky short term but worth the effort.

Thank you for your reply. I very very rarely have those things in the house. Yes, they eat "trash" foods once in a blue moon and that's ok with me. Rice Krispies and rice cakes are a major treat in our house. I follow a whole foods diet myself so that is what I have in my house. But yes they are kids and love the "trash" that they get the odd time. I was thinking about giving him a treat to get something into him rather than have his belly empty. But my two boys just had milk and porridge for breakfast. My youngest had 3 spoons of it so I'm happy enough with that.

Refined sugar should be kept as far away from children as possible.

Try introducing fruit to the cereal as a start. Blueberries are great and kids tend to like their sweet flavour. Also little wholemeal toastie fingers with cheese and a low salt ham / chicken breast are handy and tasty.

Many kids go through poor eating phases. My ds stopped eating foods he once loved at that age (like bananas) and wont eat them since! My youngest is 14 months and absolutely hates bananas, no matter how I give them, hide them etc she still knows they're there and won't eat it! And I myself love bananas so it's just one of those things.

They love satsumas, pineapple, Apple, blueberries and raspberries though.

It's perfectly ok for children to not like certain foods, just like adults do. Once you are consistent with trying new foods and try the foodsearch they don't like a number of times.

Thanks. He loves fruit and veg. It's never a problem getting that into him. Except over the last few days he has gone off everything! He will be fine I'm sure. He had porridge there (made with apple and topped with blueberries) about 4 spoon fulls so that will do for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

the only comfort i can give you is something the doctor told me about mine when he stopped eating

no child can starve themselves....

how right he was when i see the strapping teenager now

just don't go down the junk route

the only comfort i can give you is something the doctor told me about mine when he stopped eating

no child can starve themselves....

how right he was when i see the strapping teenager now

just don't go down the junk route

Thank you. Good advice. I will persevere. And not give into the hangry grouchiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

My fella is the same age and very similar. His 12-18 m trousers fit him with the adjustable waist pulled in. His build is skinny. I just think he has a smaller appetite and he knows himself when he has had enough. A tip I found useful was to look at what he eats over a few days rather than day by day. Some days he eats more than others so it balances out. He has porridge or weetabix for breakfast. I give him a banana too. I put real butter in his spuds and on his toast. He likes rice but not pasta. Loves apples but not great for trying other fruits.
    My mam told me recently that I was similar at the same age and pure skinny too so that eased any worries because I've a great appetite since I was a child.
    Keep at it, some days they will surprise you. He ate brocolli for me this weekend!

• Advertisement

My fella is the same age and very similar. His 12-18 m trousers fit him with the adjustable waist pulled in. His build is skinny. I just think he has a smaller appetite and he knows himself when he has had enough. A tip I found useful was to look at what he eats over a few days rather than day by day. Some days he eats more than others so it balances out. He has porridge or weetabix for breakfast. I give him a banana too. I put real butter in his spuds and on his toast. He likes rice but not pasta. Loves apples but not great for trying other fruits.
    My mam told me recently that I was similar at the same age and pure skinny too so that eased any worries because I've a great appetite since I was a child.
    Keep at it, some days they will surprise you. He ate brocolli for me this weekend!

Thanks a million. You're probably right. I was just so worried yesterday when I was putting him to bed and he had eaten hardly anything! He is so skinny but maybe that's just his build. He also never stops moving so he must burn up all his calories!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My (just) 2 year old is a good eater, but definitely has periods where she just stops eating. Especially when there are teeth coming. I mean, she will eat nothing for me and it could be for a couple of weeks!!!She is also non-stop movement, rarely sits or rests during the day.

I was going to ask after your first post is he always like this, or is it just going on at the moment, but I think you're saying it's just happening at the moment??

I have read in a dieticians book that children will not intentionally starve themselves.i think they also look at what they have eaten over a period of a week, rather than a 24 hour period. I have recommended it here before, it's called "Feed your child well", written by Temple St dieticians. Deals with all feeding, from breastfeeding and solids to age of ten, and all the problems that can be encountered on the way.Very practical, great for dipping in to.

I can also add that I got braces in the last 18 months on my teeth, (as an adult!) and I suddenly understood better how she was feeling (I imagine). My teeth were so sore, no matter how hungry I was I didn't want to eat. I imagine they feel something similar. I ran with it. She always regains her appetite.

BusyIzzy wrote: »
    My (just) 2 year old is a good eater, but definitely has periods where she just stops eating. Especially when there are teeth coming. I mean, she will eat nothing for me and it could be for a couple of weeks!!!She is also non-stop movement, rarely sits or rests during the day.

I was going to ask after your first post is he always like this, or is it just going on at the moment, but I think you're saying it's just happening at the moment??

I have read in a dieticians book that children will not intentionally starve themselves.i think they also look at what they have eaten over a period of a week, rather than a 24 hour period. I have recommended it here before, it's called "Feed your child well", written by Temple St dieticians. Deals with all feeding, from breastfeeding and solids to age of ten, and all the problems that can be encountered on the way.Very practical, great for dipping in to.

I can also add that I got braces in the last 18 months on my teeth, (as an adult!) and I suddenly understood better how she was feeling (I imagine). My teeth were so sore, no matter how hungry I was I didn't want to eat. I imagine they feel something similar. I ran with it. She always regains her appetite.

Your little girl sounds just like my guy. He eats hardly anything but the fist is in the mouth today so I think it's down to the teeth. Haven't given in and offered "junk" or treats although very tempted still as its so hard putting him to bed with an empty tummy.

Will look for that book and keep an eye on his intake for the week and not for the day. Today he's had some weetabix, berries and cucumber! And almost nothing else 🙄🙄🙄

Advertisement