Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accused of personal abuse of a moderator in LGBT

Options
  • 08-08-2016 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

In the LGBT forum, a forum I frequent rarely due to what I perceive of as an agreement between 2 moderators to back each other up when moderating various fora, I was recently surprised to see that one of these moderators had issued a very stern warning to their former moderator colleague who had reverted to the land of ordinary posters. I quoted Shakespeare "Et tu Brute?" and 2 days later find another moderator has banned me.
    Does this constitute personal abuse of a moderator? It certainly was not intended as such, simply a raised eyebrows in print form.
    I'd be grateful if someone would have a look at this. I think it's capricious and unfair to ban me.
    My opinions are my own, and may be brutally frank and occasionally cutting, but I've been around the block more times than I can count and I like to call it as I see it. The banning moderator is a Jenkins character. The former moderator is baby and crumble, and she was called out by Joeytheparrot,a current moderator. He and I have clashed in the past.
    Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hi Silvaman, have you discussed this with the mod who handed out the ban?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Yes, this is the response:
    "Personal abuse directed towards Joey. If you have an issue, take it up in a DRP thread."

Ok, that seems the end of that! Can you forward onto me or post in this thread the pm exchange. I'm assuming you sent a pm that the mod replied to as above.

I should get a look at this over the next 24 hours or so and all going well have a decision by then

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Thanks for the fast response-unfortunately I'm unable to find any sent message-should I be looking somewhere in particular?

Cheers Silvaman, I got the pm. I'll take a look at the thread itself and ask the mods if there's anything I'm unsure on from that side and ask here if I need clarification from yourself.

As for the alleged agreement between 2 mods, it's a very vague thing to post, I'd need examples to go on to have a look into it. You can pm me examples if you wish, you would have to log out of the forum to get access to it as you are banned.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

As for the alleged agreement between 2 mods, it's a very vague thing to post, I'd need examples to go on to have a look into it. You can pm me examples if you wish, you would have to log out of the forum to get access to it as you are banned.
    Looking back on it I was struck by the mutual posting of thanks when the one posted something. It was unusual. I noticed if someone took issue with one of their postings, the other would back them up. i seem to remember that Joeytheparrot also changed his moniker.
    I realize the limitations on discussion in boards.ie. I understand that mods are volunteers, and have noticed the discretion exercised by some mods and the "uniform syndrome" that evidently infects others once they get into mod mode.
    I had gotten a warning actually a few days earlier over posting a clip of Judge Judy calling someone an idiot, in response to a poster who while on Grindr, was approached by someone in a store asking for an assignation.
    [HTML]Grindr is a geosocial networking application (or app) created by geared towards gay and bisexual men, designed to help such men meet other men in their area for sexual encounters, dating, or friendship. An interview by the Independent with the founder of the App dated Wednesday 9 July 2014 states: "Grindr shows you, using GPS technology down to the nearest few feet, the men in your vicinity looking to meet other men. Probably not to exchange recipes. Thus, in 2009, human civilization evolved to a point where one could immediately find the nearest gay, bi or greedy man looking for sex."[/HTML](wikipedia)
    What did the OP expect?
    Look, don't sweat it.....you guys have lives but perhaps it's no harm to moderate the moderators a little more.
    Whatever the outcome, thanks for looking at this.

Hi Silvaman, the mod deleted the post with the Judge Judy clip as far as I can see and put a warning into the post. That seems fair to me as calling a poster an idiot is frowned on site wide. It's fine to give a different opinion, sure that's what the site is based on, but we don't want people calling each other idiots. No yellow or red card was given out so I think you were treated leniently there which is good.

The Et tu Brute post was off topic, anybody reading the thread wouldn't know what it was about, it just doesn't make any sense when reading the thread. It's best to take up any issues with moderation by pming a mod or a C-mod or maybe taking it up in Helpdesk.

Given you have a good record on the site I think a week ban is a bit harsh, a 24 hour ban seems fair enough to me considering both posts. I've discussed this with the mod and they are happy enough with that, so I'd suggest we lift the ban now for time served and hopefully everybody learns something from this and we move on.

On the moderation issue, it could well be crossed wires somewhere which often happens. I'd suggest opening a thread in the Helpdesk forum if you want to expand further on it. What you've raised is very subjective (which is fine and perfectly valid), the mods can reply there with their side of the story and that could well clear up what may be just a misunderstanding.

Hopefully everything gets discussed amiably as unfortunately your pm to the mod was a bit uncivil and the response was a bit to the point, and that makes it harder to resolve things. Perfectly understandable, but it just lessens the chances of it getting resolved between yourselves and ending up here.

If you are happy with my recommendation I can lift the ban for you and we can mark this resolved. If not you can of course appeal to an admin.

Much appreciated-more sharp tongued as I get older!
    Storm in a teacup to be honest, but there is an issue of some mods coming down heavily on posters, and I know in my own area of expertise I tend to contribute positively based on personal experience to discussions, and I've sourced several clients from the forestry thread on this site for work.
    It's a tough job for mods, but perhaps before shutting someone down, the mod ought to look at past behaviour from warnings to numbers of thanks from others.
    Again, many thanks.

No worries Silvaman, it's nice to have a DRP were the poster and the mod are a pleasure to work with. The whole Past record/behaviour is something that is getting discussed internally, so we are aware of it. We're all human after all and oversights can happen, made a few myself!

Thanks isn't really something that is considered by mods as far as I know but you could bring it up in the site feedback forum and see what others think.

I'll lift the ban and ask an admin to mark this resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

K-9 wrote: »
    No worries Silvaman, it's nice to have a DRP were the poster and the mod are a pleasure to work with...

Agreed. Thanks to all involved.

tHB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement