Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Donovan on Netflix

• 08-08-2016 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

OK Im trying to keep calm. My family have been bugging me to get Netflix again (its been two years since my last confession), having dropped it like a stone due to my view that nothing I was looking for was available in Ireland. So I said ok last week and the very first thing Im remotely interested in checking out is the last season of Ray Donovan and low and behold, surprise surprise its not available. Like, whats the point. Either the services are comprehensive or their not.
    I know years ago I started looking into the whole IP thing with tons of other suggested solution, but is there any (legit) way to watch the programs I want online?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Alan666 wrote: »
    OK Im trying to keep calm. My family have been bugging me to get Netflix again (its been two years since my last confession), having dropped it like a stone due to my view that nothing I was looking for was available in Ireland. So I said ok last week and the very first thing Im remotely interested in checking out is the last season of Ray Donovan and low and behold, surprise surprise its not available. Like, whats the point. Either the services are comprehensive or their not.
    I know years ago I started looking into the whole IP thing with tons of other suggested solution, but is there any (legit) way to watch the programs I want online?
    Cheers

that show is broadcast in Ireland by Sky.

Netflix will do what they can, but in the UK/Ireland market they are up against the behemoths of Sky & BBC

Perhaps you could use a sky app on a phone/Tablet & use a friend's/family members account details through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Amazon Video UK and Now TV UK have Ray Donovan, but they don't serve Ireland so just pirate it.

No one service is going to be comprehensive, but only Netflix seems interested in Irish customers. (They're in 190+ countries now. Amazon is in 5.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yeah it's pretty poor by Netflix to have incomplete series up. Not having one that's just been released is one thing but loads are several seasons behind, Weeds (ended ages ago) and The Good Wife are two that are miles behind.

Jayop wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty poor by Netflix to have incomplete series up. Not having one that's just been released is one thing but loads are several seasons behind, Weeds (ended ages ago) and The Good Wife are two that are miles behind.

It's all licensing windows. The Good Wife airs on TV first, then comes out on DVD and iTunes (Well, UK only for the latter) than Netflix. It's a €10 a month service with a huge amount of stuff, you have to pay a lot more for Sky or use 4OD/RTÉ Player with ads to see the show sooner. And it's only one season behind? Season 7 ended not long ago and it has the first 6... And Weeds isn't on Irish Netflix anymore.

If you want to have newer stuff, well, Netflix releases one or two original shows and movies every week now.

The last episode on TGW on netflix aired may 2015 so yeah it's now only one season but a season of this is 22 episodes so it's way behind.

Weed's I wasn't ware was gone from netflix in ireland but it only had a few seasons despite having aired completely and had been wrapped up for quite a while.

I know it's all down to licensing, but honestly I'd prefer they didn't have a show to get you interested and absorbed in only to realise you have to go looking for pirated copies to finish the thing off.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    The last episode on TGW on netflix aired may 2015 so yeah it's now only one season but a season of this is 22 episodes so it's way behind.

Weed's I wasn't ware was gone from netflix in ireland but it only had a few seasons despite having aired completely and had been wrapped up for quite a while.

I know it's all down to licensing, but honestly I'd prefer they didn't have a show to get you interested and absorbed in only to realise you have to go looking for pirated copies to finish the thing off.

Well, DVDs do still exist to purchase. And unlike some Amazon-exclusive shows, The Good Wife S7 was legally watchable in Ireland through both RTÉ Player and Channel 4's player. So it's not like you HAD to pirate it. ;)

I suppose Weeds wasn't popular enough to pay to keep it. You could buy the DVD boxset or, if you lived in the UK, a digital download. Or maybe it's on Sky Boxsets, we don't have Sky anymore. I'd try Now TV if I could.

What I'm getting at is that the UK has lots of different legal options and Ireland only has Netflix. That's not Netflix's fault.

Occono wrote: »
    Well, DVDs do still exist to purchase. And unlike some Amazon-exclusive shows, The Good Wife S7 was legally watchable in Ireland through both RTÉ Player and Channel 4's player. So it's not like you HAD to pirate it. ;)

I suppose Weeds wasn't popular enough to pay to keep it. You could buy the DVD boxset or, if you lived in the UK, a digital download. Or maybe it's on Sky Boxsets, we don't have Sky anymore. I'd try Now TV if I could.

What I'm getting at is that the UK has lots of different legal options and Ireland only has Netflix. That's not Netflix's fault.

Look I'm only making one point and that's if they don't have the full show they shouldn't show any of it. That's it.

Proper order.

I like Netflix, I have been paying for it for years but that drove me demented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix had the rights for it until Sky Atlantic bought the exclusive rights to it earlier this year.

Netflix can show the seasons they have the rights to till their contract is up.

Sky Atlantic now have exclusive rights to all Showtimes series which joins their exclusive rights for HBO shows.

Netflix had the rights for it until Sky Atlantic bought the exclusive rights to it earlier this year.

Netflix can show the seasons they have the rights to till their contract is up.

Sky Atlantic now have exclusive rights to all Showtimes series which joins their exclusive rights for HBO shows.

Ray Donovan? It's never been on Irish Netflix AFAIK.

So no more Homeland on Netflix? :( Only Showtime show I watched on there. Dang. Well I'm not getting a sky box and they won't offer Now TV here and I have more DVDs than I ever should have bought already so arrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Occono wrote: »
    Ray Donovan? It's never been on Irish Netflix AFAIK.

So no more Homeland on Netflix? :( Only Showtime show I watched on there. Dang. Well I'm not getting a sky box and they won't offer Now TV here and I have more DVDs than I ever should have bought already so arrrr.

I thought it was on it at some stage?

Anyway yes Sky Atlantic's new deal makes them the home of Showtime in Ireland and the UK.

I thought it was on it at some stage?

Anyway yes Sky Atlantic's new deal makes them the home of Showtime in Ireland and the UK.

Maybe it was, I'm not familiar with the show at all (1000s of US shows on now) and I didn't notice it.

Ray Donovan is now on primevideo.com in Ireland, if it helps.

Advertisement