Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is mid-term break 2016 at GMIT?

• 08-08-2016 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

This may be a silly question, but is it known if GMIT has a mid-term break in October or November of this coming academic year?

Does GMIT (and do third-level institutions in general) follow the general academic calendar that also happens to apply to secondary school when it comes to mid-term breaks etc.?

Our son is hoping to get into GMIT this year, and at the same time we're looking at the possibility of a family event around that time.

Any advice or pointers (e.g. where GMIT might have this information) would be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wake_Up_Donnie

This may be a silly question, but is it known if GMIT has a mid-term break in October or November of this coming academic year?

There wasn't one for the last 2 years so I doubt there'll be one this year (unfortunately :P).
    Does GMIT (and do third-level institutions in general) follow the general academic calendar that also happens to apply to secondary school when it comes to mid-term breaks etc.?

Academic calendars vary between third-year institutions. Some may be similar to secondary school, others won't be. Different colleges have different start/holiday dates etc. First years generally start college a few days-a week before other students. Depending on the course chosen, start dates can also vary within colleges.
    Our son is hoping to get into GMIT this year, and at the same time we're looking at the possibility of a family event around that time.

If you're planning on a holiday, I don't recommend booking flights, hotels etc, until your son is actually attending college (be it GMIT or elsewhere). During the first few weeks of college, he should be given dates of breaks/exam periods.
    Any advice or pointers (e.g. where GMIT might have this information) would be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

To the best of my knowledge (I'm open to correction), the academic calendar is not on GMIT's website. Other colleges have their academic calendar available online, GMIT is not one of them...:confused: Maybe you could try ringing the Admissions office/one of the other offices, they may be able to help you.

Best of luck to your son in GMIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mister Know It Not

Thank you so much for your quick response and your good wishes!

It's the answer I suspected, but obviously not the one I would have preferred. We'll know more in a few weeks or a month.

From what little I've been able to find out, the academic calendar seems a little out of whack: no breaks from Sept. 1 to about Dec. 20, but then they sneak in a week-long "mid-term break" between approx. Jan 5 and the two-week Easter holiday in mid/late March.

Seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The SU sometimes put a calendar of events on their site, might be one from last year there as a reference. I dont remember any weeks off bar Xmas, Ester and a study week before exams. A day here or there for bank holidays but thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

From what little I've been able to find out, the academic calendar seems a little out of whack: no breaks from Sept. 1 to about Dec. 20, but then they sneak in a week-long "mid-term break" between approx. Jan 5 and the two-week Easter holiday in mid/late March.

Last year the only holidays that we had were Christmas holidays and Easter holidays. Then of course we also had a study week before our exams. It was very straight forward and not out of whack at all.

However this coming college year there was talk of having exams after Christmas. This was proposed but it may have since been rejected. If this is this case we'll have Christmas holidays from 19th December until 2nd January. When back in January there will be two weeks of exams straight away when we come back. Then after the exams we'll get a week off from 16th to the 20th January to give us a break. This may not be happening though.

I have the draft calendar for next year and last year's calendar but I can't post it here since I haven't made 25 posts yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Teachack

There was a SU poll on this last May.

GMIT wanted to move exams until after Christmas and move the end of year exams out until the end of May. However the Students Union fought it and won. With a few changes though.

From what I can gather there will be a straight run through until the Christmas exams (beginning of December).
    Return the beginning of Jan - prob the 9th.
    There will be no 2 week Easter break however, but the Summer exams will be the same as always (beginning of May)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Teachack wrote: »
    There was a SU poll on this last May.

GMIT wanted to move exams until after Christmas and move the end of year exams out until the end of May. However the Students Union fought it and won. With a few changes though.

From what I can gather there will be a straight run through until the Christmas exams (beginning of December).
    Return the beginning of Jan - prob the 9th.
    There will be no 2 week Easter break however, but the Summer exams will be the same as always (beginning of May)

I'm guessing that we still have a study week before the exams. It's a shame that we have no Easter holidays since that's when I did most of my study for the summer exams as well as catching up on projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

PROVISIONAL INSTITUTE CALENDAR 2016/2017

http://www.gmit.ie/sites/default/files/public/international/docs/mayo-booklet-2016-17-new.pdf
    From page 3.

All 1st Year students commence Wednesday 7 September 2016
    2nd, 3rd and 4th Year students commence Monday 12 September 2016
    Bank Holiday Monday 31 October 2016
    Term 1 Lectures end Friday 9 December 2016
    Winter Examinations Begin 15 to 23 December 2016
    Lectures recommence for all programmes Monday 16 January 2017
    Public Holiday for St Patrick’s Day Friday 17 March 2017
    Term 2 Lectures end Friday 7 April 2017
    Term 3 Lectures begin Monday 24 April 2017
    Public Holiday Monday 1 May 2017
    Revision Week Monday 2 to 5 May 2017