Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head tenant charging me more than rent

Options
  • 08-08-2016 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hello.

Ive been renting a room in a private social housing accommodation this last year.
    Basically the guy whos name is on the tenancy is subletting the room to me, but turns out he is charging me more than what the rent , bills etc come to per month. Is he allowed do this? Charge me what he likes? Doesn't seem right. Its not his place. He is paying rent also. I am basically giving him my own money into his pocket?
    Have i any rights there? He is moving out in a couple of months also so i could probably take over the place on my own.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

He advertised the room at a rate, you agreed that rate...buyer beware and all that.

You won't have any right to take over the unit when he moves out, the next person on the social housing list will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Move out as you are most likely a licensee .

Could always contact revenue and social as he has to pay tax on money coming in.

Move out as you are most likely a licensee .

Could always contact revenue and social as he has to pay tax on money coming in.

No he doesn't. Rent a room scheme allows you to earn €12k tax free pa

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

athtrasna wrote: »
    No he doesn't. Rent a room scheme allows you to earn €12k tax free pa

Could be over that?

Could be over that?

In social housing?????????????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maybe contact the local housing authority and report him.
    The fact he is moving out suggests something isn't right .
    Could be getting evicted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

I should have mentioned im an irish person living in the uk! (glasgow)
    But yeah, turns out over here if you are living in social accommodation for a few months you can take over the tenancy if the Head tenant moves out.
    But he is looking for upwards 1000 for bits of furniture, white goods etc. He aint getting that off me!

Mod note:
    Well then OP I'm going to close the thread. This is an Irish site and the knowledge on this forum extends mostly to the Irish situation. Posting about the UK system will lead to confusion on here going forward. Best of luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement