Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam in October

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

They're getting a lot of infrastructure investment in Laos these days from the Chinese trying to create land haulage routes to Thai and Myanmar ports from Southern China.

The HGVs on the narrow windy roads makes a powerful bike a necessity. You need to be able to zip past as fast as you can to get your angle of attack right on the next corkscrew. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

45 degree inclines require serious torque to pass even a slow moving tour bus relatively safely over a short distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I'm here in Hanoi, there is no rhyme or reason as to the rules of the road,bat**** mental, but it sort of works.
    Tried getting footage from the sj4000 but it's too wobbly to put up. Anybody know of the best settings if you have it on a harness? Might try dash am mode tomorrow. The hotel will rent me a bike tomorrow so I'll see how I get on. One other problem is that whenever I leave the hotel I get lost and it takes ages getting back, I'd say to do it on a bike could be a disaster haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I'm here in Hanoi, there is no rhyme or reason as to the rules of the road,bat**** mental, but it sort of works.
    Tried getting footage from the sj4000 but it's too wobbly to put up. Anybody know of the best settings if you have it on a harness? Might try dash am mode tomorrow. The hotel will rent me a bike tomorrow so I'll see how I get on. One other problem is that whenever I leave the hotel I get lost and it takes ages getting back, I'd say to do it on a bike could be a disaster haha

Yeah, I had google maps and a cheap Viet sim with me. Would have found it very tough without that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Buy a data sim from happy network or someone else. You have to get a sim card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Back in Dublin now, and what an experience! Every time I left the hotel for a stroll I got lost, walk around the corner, come back in half an hour if I was lucky:) I eventually got a scooter for three days and got lost around Hanoi for upwards of 4 hours before i got back to the hotel, all the streets looked the same, and nobody speaks English to ask directions. If you're gonna do it, you'll need a satnav, 100%, I was using a map and google maps (bought a viet sim) to navigate back to the hotel. I got the hang of the traffic after about 1 hour into it though, all courier instincts fully restored and had a ball, I was driving against and through on-coming traffic, on paths, basically no rules and a gas bit of crack!

(I did see some western women with horrible scars/scabs on their knees though)

Again, Sat Nav, is needed dudes

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Back in Dublin now, and what an experience! Every time I left the hotel for a stroll I got lost, walk around the corner, come back in half an hour if I was lucky:) I eventually got a scooter for three days and got lost around Hanoi for upwards of 4 hours before i got back to the hotel, all the streets looked the same, and nobody speaks English to ask directions. If you're gonna do it, you'll need a satnav, 100%, I was using a map and google maps (bought a viet sim) to navigate back to the hotel. I got the hang of the traffic after about 1 hour into it though, all courier instincts fully restored and had a ball, I was driving against and through on-coming traffic, on paths, basically no rules and a gas bit of crack!

(I did see some western women with horrible scars/scabs on their knees though)

Again, Sat Nav, is needed dudes

Both your updates since you were first in Vietnam or had finished the trip, was basically just telling us you keep getting lost!!!

Pics!

Also, tell us about buying the bike, selling the bike, tips, accommodation, cost, problems/highlights, etc! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

rat_race wrote: »
    Both your updates since you were first in Vietnam or had finished the trip, was basically just telling us you keep getting lost!!!

Pics!

Also, tell us about buying the bike, selling the bike, tips, accommodation, cost, problems/highlights, etc! :D

No? Okay.

Advertisement