Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Apps

Options
  • 08-08-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone,

Recently started cycling to decrease my time on the commute to work, it's great but the one thing i've noticed is that the roads in around harolds cross into the city centre do be in bits, on top of that cars do be almost mounting the kerbs to get around corners blocking you off.

However some days i've also drove into work and have seen some rather dangerous cyclists cutting across lanes / in front of the car with no signal.

I was wondering is there an app that can record where there are dangerous spots for cycling / best routes to / from your destination or the best ways to go at rush hour to avoid some of the congestion that is present in the inner city.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hey Everyone,

Recently started cycling to decrease my time on the commute to work, it's great but the one thing i've noticed is that the roads in around harolds cross into the city centre do be in bits, on top of that cars do be almost mounting the kerbs to get around corners blocking you off.

However some days i've also drove into work and have seen some rather dangerous cyclists cutting across lanes / in front of the car with no signal.

I was wondering is there an app that can record where there are dangerous spots for cycling / best routes to / from your destination or the best ways to go at rush hour to avoid some of the congestion that is present in the inner city.

Google maps will give you traffic intensity on your route. It's the city centre though. Hard to avoid it all during the commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

There's a group putting together a Dublin Tracker Map showing where accidents happen:

http://www.dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Chuchote wrote: »
    There's a group putting together a Dublin Tracker Map showing where accidents happen:

http://www.dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

A bit mad looking at that map the collisions on my route all seem to happen around traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

A bit mad looking at that map the collisions on my route all seem to happen around traffic lights.

I've stopped taking the turn to the quays from Church Street after seeing the figures on the next junction there. Mad, Ted.

Advertisement