Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have experience of Dublin US Pre-Clearance? Easy?

Options
  • 08-08-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, travelling to the states next week for the first time. I have my electronic passport, ESTA approval and Advanced Passenger Info all done, so I guess I'm ready.

But does anyone have experience of passing through the pre clearance in Dublin?

I'm quite nervous about it in general as it's my first time. I have full proof of my tourist intentions. (Hotel Booked, return flight booked, some tourist attractions paid for already. and I will be carrying $500 cash, with more in the bank)

Has anyone every been refused, and what reason did they give?

Just worried about loosing all the money for the flight and hotel etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hi, travelling to the states next week for the first time. I have my electronic passport, ESTA approval and Advanced Passenger Info all done, so I guess I'm ready.

I'm quite nervous about it in general as it's my first time. I have full proof of my tourist intentions. (Hotel Booked, return flight booked, some tourist attractions paid for already. and I will be carrying $500 cash, with more in the bank)

Unless you have a specific reason you think you'll be refused (undeclared criminal convictions, other disqualifiers such as overstaying on previous visits etc), you'll most likely be fine.

They'll probably as you about your plans and that'll be it. Don't worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mr_jackapple

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Unless you have a specific reason you think you'll be refused (undeclared criminal convictions, other disqualifiers such as overstaying on previous visits etc), you'll most likely be fine.

They'll probably as you about your plans and that'll be it. Don't worry :)

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I think it's just me being me and worry about everything, haha. Thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Leave yourself plenty of time, 3 hours before gate closure at least, all the US flights leave within the space of a few hours and it gets VERY busy around this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Questions I've been asked are:
    What is the purpose of my trip to States?
    How long is my trip?
    Do I work?
    Where do I work?

Kensington wrote: »
    Leave yourself plenty of time, 3 hours before gate closure at least, all the US flights leave within the space of a few hours and it gets VERY busy around this time of year.

You mean arrive at the airport 3 hours before the flight?

I plan on arriving at about 7AM, flight is at 10:30am, grabbing some breakfast and straight through security and pre-clearance. I want to just get it out of the way, even though I know there's not much to do after pre-clearing.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Questions I've been asked are:
    What is the purpose of my trip to States?
    How long is my trip?
    Do I work?
    Where do I work?

Yeah, expected that. Problem is, I don't work. I finished college in June.

Hope they don't start getting picky on that subject. But as I said, I have a return flight and hotel, and proof of tourist intentions.

Thank you.

Yeah, expected that. Problem is, I don't work. I finished college in June.

Hope they don't start getting picky on that subject. But as I said, I have a return flight and hotel, and proof of tourist intentions.

Thank you.

Are you intending to complete further studies in September? Or are you going to be looking for a job on return from your holiday?

I'd have a definite plan in place that you can let them know you are committed to returning to Ireland.

Are you intending to complete further studies in September? Or are you going to be looking for a job on return from your holiday?

I'd have a definite plan in place that you can let them know you are committed to returning to Ireland.

I don't have further studies, but I'm currently job hunting and have already sent a few applications in. I have proof of one application in my email.

I'm travelling with my girlfriend who is currently working, but I doubt that would affect me in any way.

Should I be worried?

I don't have further studies, but I'm currently job hunting and have already sent a few applications in. I have proof of one application in my email.

I'm travelling with my girlfriend who is currently working, but I doubt that would affect me in any way.

Should I be worried?

No you shouldn't be worried. It will be apparent you are not intending to stay in USA.

Do you rent or live at home? Are you in the middle of a lease?

No you shouldn't be worried. It will be apparent you are not intending to stay in USA.

Do you rent or live at home? Are you in the middle of a lease?

Living at home currently as I just finished college. I'm in that transition period of trying to find my own feet in life ;)

As I said, I have a flight home and a hotel confirmed in NYC, I also have several attraction tickets booked and paid for, as well as travel insurance for that period. My bag is filled with shorts and t-shirts, not suits and CV's, ha.

I'll post back next week regarding the outcome, just for any future readers of this who may be in a similar situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, how long are you going for? If it's just the bog standard 1-2 week hollier, you've nothing to worry about. Don't wise crack with the Immigration officials btw. I've seen people do that to break the ice, out of sheer nerves. It's not a good idea. Just answer their questions simply and honestly & you'll be fine.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, how long are you going for? If it's just the bog standard 1-2 week hollier, you've nothing to worry about. Don't wise crack with the Immigration officials btw. I've seen people do that to break the ice, out of sheer nerves. It's not a good idea. Just answer their questions simply and honestly & you'll be fine.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah it's actually just under 10 days. And as I said I have the return flight booked and the hotel and a lot of other touristy stuff paid for and I have all the proof of those with me.

Thanks for the tip. I'll just answer what is asked and keep it simple. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Seriously OP, don't worry. You're just going on a holiday and have your ESTA, so relax! Depending who you're flying with it can be sometimes worth doing the online check in, so you can pick your own seat if you've a preference, even though for some airlines (United Airlines) I couldn't complete the online check in but had seats allocated but got boarding card at the bag drop off, (Guy in the queue walks around with a tablet checking your details, again it's normal nothing to be worried about) don't worry you're all sorted. You'll walk through the airport, fill in the form at the top of the conveyor before security, basically its your name address and address in USA and one or two other checks) go through security (twice I think, once upstairs at top of escalator and then again downstairs?), then to a kiosk type machine with your passport where you complete the on screen instructions and it prints a receipt type thing. Then you queue to talk to the pre clearance person at the booths, they get you to confirm the picture on screen is your suitcase, scan your fingers, take your picture, ask one or two questions such as what is the purpose of your trip, and what you work at / where do you work don't worry just say the truth, going on holiday not working just finished college, might ask you where you went to college or what you done.

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Seriously OP, don't worry. You're just going on a holiday and have your ESTA, so relax! Depending who you're flying with it can be sometimes worth doing the online check in, so you can pick your own seat if you've a preference, even though for some airlines (United Airlines) I couldn't complete the online check in but had seats allocated but got boarding card at the bag drop off, (Guy in the queue walks around with a tablet checking your details, again it's normal nothing to be worried about) don't worry you're all sorted. You'll walk through the airport, fill in the form at the top of the conveyor before security, basically its your name address and address in USA and one or two other checks) go through security (twice I think, once upstairs at top of escalator and then again downstairs?), then to a kiosk type machine with your passport where you complete the on screen instructions and it prints a receipt type thing. Then you queue to talk to the pre clearance person at the booths, they get you to confirm the picture on screen is your suitcase, scan your fingers, take your picture, ask one or two questions such as what is the purpose of your trip, and what you work at / where do you work don't worry just say the truth, going on holiday not working just finished college, might ask you where you went to college or what you done.

Thanks v much for the reply.

Flying with Aer Lingus and have our seats booked already and there's rarely a queue at check in so everything is sorted in that regard.

Thanks for your confidence booster ;) needed that. I'm generally one of those people who worries about everything so this is a little nightmare for me, haha. But thank you, honestly.
    Yeah I'll just say the exact truth that I'm not working and I just finished college. Keep it simple and straightforward. I may not even mention college and just simply answer "No, I don't work."

Yes, I did get a glimpse of the kiosks in a video that the DAA posted on their website. And you're right, there is a second security point once you get downstairs.

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yeah I'll just say the exact truth that I'm not working and I just finished college. Keep it simple and straightforward. I may not even mention college and just simply answer "No, I don't work."

Be careful with that type of information - only give answers in response to direct questions. I'm not saying that you should be evasive but neither do you want to come across as delivering a prepared script so answer each question and leave it at that. Don't volunteer a heap of information for each question, in many case it's the way you answer rather than what you say that matters. Just give direct and honest answers and when you've answered the question, stop talking and wait for the next question i.e. don't blabber on.

And know the zip code of where you will be staying on your first night in the US.

coylemj wrote: »
    Be careful with that type of information - only give answers in response to direct questions. I'm not saying that you should be evasive but neither do you want to come across as delivering a prepared script so answer each question and leave it at that. Don't volunteer a heap of information for each question, in many case it's the way you answer rather than what you say that matters. Just give direct and honest answers and when you've answered the question, stop talking and wait for the next question i.e. don't blabber on.

And know the zip code of where you will be staying on your first night in the US.

Yeah I must agree with you. I'll give sufficient information to each question and allow them to ask any further questions. As I said previously, if I'm asked about work, I'll simply respond "I don't work" they may ask why not and then I'll just explain that i just left college.

I'll respond to the questions they ask in a simple manner and try not to be too nervous. It's truly nerve racking especially this first time. And I'm only going for a short holiday!

Yeah I have a print out of the hotel confirmation with the address. That's also printed on my ESTA.

Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Arrive 3 hours early, have your documents in order relating to travel plans/hotels/flights etc, access to a bank statement and most importantly....

DON'T LIE ABOUT ANYTHING!!! ;)

You'll be fine then

good luck

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Arrive 3 hours early, have your documents in order relating to travel plans/hotels/flights etc, access to a bank statement and most importantly....

DON'T LIE ABOUT ANYTHING!!! ;)

You'll be fine then

good luck

Thank you.

If they did request to look at my bank account, how much would they be satisfied with? I'm going for 9 days so... 1000€, 2000€, 3000€?

Thanks.

Thank you.

If they did request to look at my bank account, how much would they be satisfied with? I'm going for 9 days so... 1000€, 2000€, 3000€?

Thanks.

They won't request any such thing. Anyone can get daddy to shove money into a bank account, it counts for nothing. And you don't need a printout of your ESTA, that is explicitly stated on the CBP website.

You're worrying far too much.

coylemj wrote: »
    They won't request any such thing. Anyone can get daddy to shove money into a bank account, it counts for nothing.

You're worrying far too much.

You could be right. I'm totally over thinking the whole thing. It'll be fine. Thanks for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I've been to New York twice in the last few years while unemployed and never had any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

One thing to watch out for is that there is a second security scanner at us clearance.

Caught me out this summer. You have the usual security check point in Dublin airport. I bought lots of drinks etc for plane journey. Got to just before us clearance and there was a second check point. Sadly had to dump all the stuff I had just bought. I'm pretty sure that second security checkpoint wasn't there 5 years ago.

Once past us clearance, the shop options are very limited. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Went through it in June. Was going through about 10am so it was busy. Got asked no questions whatsoever. Just enjoy your trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

thunderdog wrote: »
    One thing to watch out for is that there is a second security scanner at us clearance.

Caught me out this summer. You have the usual security check point in Dublin airport. I bought lots of drinks etc for plane journey. Got to just before us clearance and there was a second check point. Sadly had to dump all the stuff I had just bought. I'm pretty sure that second security checkpoint wasn't there 5 years ago.

Once past us clearance, the shop options are very limited. Best of luck

The Second security scanner is the one performed by the US authorities. Once you've passed the U.S. officer, you are going through the motions of entering the United States and the scan is just the one you would do if you were entering the US. It ties up the differences between what the Irish and the US screen for, so while you could get through with some food items in the Irish check, the U.S. check will confiscate it. Usually the CBP website cbp.gov tells you what you can't being into America (Wood, Fruit lunch you bring for the plane, etc...). You have to confiscate that in the bins anyway before you got through the scanner.

It's not a lot of hassle. Once you directly answer the question, you're fine. Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Travelling to the states for first time later in the year. Have the ESTA sorted got a new passpost but what do you mean by "Advance Passenger Information" Is this an extra form I have to fill out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

scheister wrote: »
    Travelling to the states for first time later in the year. Have the ESTA sorted got a new passpost but what do you mean by "Advance Passenger Information" Is this an extra form I have to fill out

its information required via your airline

When you book flight there is usually a link to provide the info

scheister wrote: »

For US flights, some airlines ask you to fill in your passport details on their website to speed things up at check-in - Aer Lingus does, United does not.

Check your airline website, click on 'manage my booking' and see if they ask for it but if the facility is there, it will have been mentioned in the confirmation e-mail you got when you made the booking as pointed out by the previous poster.

Aer Lingus ask you to supply API for flights to the US, Spain and Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The queues at Dublin Airport depend on TSA staff rosters and the volume of flights.

I have experienced pre-clearance queues of 2 hours on occasion. However, you can be lucky with a swift 20 minutes.

If the queues are lengthy, it can become very stressful as you believe you are going to miss your flight. I've been stuck in the queue at 11.20 and my flight is departing at 11.30!

However, there will be dozens of passengers in the same predicament. Airline representatives tend to call them out of the queue and rush them to the top of the line. Unless you arrive at the airport late, most people will make their flight.

Some hints:

o Arrive at Dublin Airport about 3.5 to 4 hours before your flight. You also have to clear Security, whose queues can be just as bad as US pre-clearance. The earlier you arrive, the less stress you will encounter.

o If you have no idea where you are spending the first night, pick a hotel address and zip code out of the Lonely Planet or a website. Don't fake the address and zip code. Apparently they know fake combinations and will treat it as a lie. Bad start.

o Don't make small talk or crack jokes. The staff are very stern. It's a cold business transaction.

o Once the ESTA is pre-completed and you have a printout, it is a formality.

o Only fill out one Customs Declaration per travelling group

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

As you stand in the queue you will see exactly what happens. You will be fingerprinted electronically, your photo will be taken and if you have checked in any bags you will be shown a photo of these bags to confirm they are yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Arrive at Dublin Airport about 3.5 to 4 hours before your flight. You also have to clear Security, whose queues can be just as bad as US pre-clearance. The earlier you arrive, the less stress you will encounter.

I'm a big fan of getting to the airport with loads of time to spare, but even I think four hours is excessive.

Regarding US Immigration officials, most of them live here year around, are married to Irish spouses and are rearing their families here. They are there to do a job and are not to messed with, but they aren't as fearsome as their reputations would lead people to believe. I know a couple of them.

Advertisement