Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Handball goal awful refereeing there. Same old Arsenal always cheating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    How can he give that goal. He more or less punched it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

davycc wrote: »
    Handball goal awful refereeing there. Same old Arsenal always cheating

Awww cheer up Davy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Was Koscielny offside as well when Ox hit it?

Manchester United
    Awww cheer up Davy

I'm happy out cheers my spurs spanked peps superheroes ! Did you not see the hand ball,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Unearthly wrote: »
    Was Koscielny offside as well when Ox hit it?

Clearly. And ox's shot wasn't on target. Disgrace of a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

Yes 5 or 6 yards off side and handball...... it all evens out over a season though:cool:

I'm happy out cheers my spurs spanked peps superheroes ! Did you not see the hand ball,?

I most certainly did. I am delighted. So why are we always cheating? Not as if we gouge eyes like certain clubs a few miles away :cool:

Manchester United
    8-10 wrote: »
    Clearly. And ox's shot wasn't on target. Disgrace of a decision

That's the point I was trying to make before an Arsenal fan mod threw a hissy fit ,

Wonder what Henry the smug sod.will have to say back in the studio?

• Advertisement

That's the point I was trying to make before an Arsenal fan mod threw a hissy fit ,

Wonder what Henry the smug sod.will have to say back in the studio?

I don't mod here bud, totally irrelevant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Horrible way for Burnley to miss out on a point. They also conceded in the 5th minute of injury time to hull in a 1 1 draw. Still think they will be solid enough at home to just about stay up this time around.

Manchester United
    Laurent now saying he didn't think the ball hit his arm! Sky showed it was going wide until it hits his hand. They need to show the cheating sod the reply

Did Koscielny kick that into himself?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Laurent now saying he didn't think the ball hit his arm! Sky showed it was going wide until it hits his hand. They need to show the cheating sod the reply
    :rolleyes:

Manchester United
    :rolleyes:

Are you watching it on sky? I quoted him word for word. .

• Advertisement

Are you watching it on sky? I quoted him word for word. .

I think it's more the insinuation that he cheated. Do you really think he meant that Davy?

Manchester United
    Henry on sky now saying he can understand if koschemlys goal is disallowed for handball...

Understatement of the fecking year lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was sickening end to the game in a number of ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

To be fair, 95% of players would say the same thing. It is a bit of a piss take of a reply though. Not that he or the Arsenal fans will give a flying you know what about what people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Manchester United
    It's only handball if it's deliberate; it's amazing the amount of people that seem unaware of this.

Koscielny was not guilty of handball. The goal was perfectly legitimate.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    I think it's more the insinuation that he cheated. Do you really think he meant that Davy?

Sky should show him the reply and ask him to clarify his assumption that he didn't hand ball it. .. I play myself at a lower level and even I would feel the bang of the ball deflecting in off my hand \arm \backside

Sky should show him the reply and ask him to clarify his assumption that he didn't hand ball it. .. I play myself at a lower level and even I would feel the bang of the ball deflecting in off my hand \arm \backside

Does it really matter what anyone says after the match? I'm talking about what happened on the pitch here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How bitter are you?

It was handball and should have been disallowed, but no need to be going ham about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's only handball if it's deliberate; it's amazing the amount of people that seem unaware of this.

The interpretation of what constitutes deliberate is widely open for debate though. Generally it's seen as deliberate if the arm is in an unnatural position. Personally I think it should have been disallowed.

Manchester United
    SantryRed wrote: »
    How bitter are you?

It was handball and should have been disallowed, but no need to be going ham about it.

Not bitter at all love
    It only happened a few minutes ago
    Even Wenger agrees with your point on the goal should not have stood , nice bit of class from him, are you going to call him bitter too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

No it wasn't his hand was in an unnatural position. Looked like he was protecting his face. He knew well in the post match interview.

Manchester United
    Here are the laws via the FA website:
    HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:
    • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
    • touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) is an infringement
    • hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) is an infringement

There was no movement of the hand towards the ball - it was smashed at him. And it was an unexpected ball as he was inches away from Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I don't see how anyone could say it met the criteria above and was deliberate. It was actually a joke that Sky asked Wenger about it imo.

It was a valid goal. There shouldn't even be an argument to the contrary.

Not bitter at all love
    It only happened a few minutes ago
    Even Wenger agrees with your point on the goal should not have stood , nice bit of class from him, are you going to call him bitter too?

Wenger said he didn't see it, as he always does ;)

Nice misquoting Davy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Best odds to win the league.

City 10/11
    Liverpool 9/2
    Arsenal 15/2
    Spurs 9/1
    Chelsea 18/1
    United 18/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Above doesn't really matter, he gained an unfair advantage as the ball only went in because it hit his hand.

Even Wenger knows he got lucky.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    RasTa wrote: »
    Above doesn't really matter, he gained an unfair advantage as the ball only went in because it hit his hand.

The laws of the game don't matter? :pac:

Ah here, whatever about rules about unnatural position, please point out the rule that any goal that goes in off a hand is illegal.

Here are the laws via the FA website:

There was no movement of the hand towards the ball - it was smashed at him. And it was an unexpected ball as he was inches away from Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I don't see how anyone could say it met the criteria above and was deliberate. It was actually a joke that Sky asked Wenger about it imo.

Interesting, thanks. I think common sense would mean the goal shouldn't be given (you shouldn't be allowed gain an unfair advantage by a hand ball), but common sense rarely applies to the rules in football. Goal was good so.

The laws of the game don't matter? :pac:

Hah, as if everything is interpreted to the exact letter of the law.
    Ah here, whatever about rules about unnatural position, please point out the rule that any goal that goes in off a hand is illegal.

There is none obviously. No doubt you'd be of the same agreement if it went in at the other end.

Hah, as if everything is interpreted to the exact letter of the law.

There is none obviously. No doubt you'd be of the same agreement if it went in at the other end.

Right so we're in agreement, legitimate goal.

Right so we're in agreement, legitimate goal.

No, foul for handball

No, foul for handball

But that's not in the rules. You do realise the rules of football govern the game of football, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Johner wrote: »
    Best odds to win the league.

City 10/11
    Liverpool 9/2
    Arsenal 15/2
    Spurs 9/1
    Chelsea 18/1
    United 18/1

Liverpool 9/2??

Doesn't make much sense them being twice as likely to win the league as Spurs.

Bookies must be just reacting to the market, must be lots of "our year" this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The whole 'handball has to be deliberate' rule I always find interesting. A lot of the time the handball isn't deliberate at all but looks 'unnatural'. Like, if you break it down, why would anyone purposely go to stop/block the ball with your hand inside the area? Someone would sometimes, but not anywhere near as many times as given penalties imo. I haven't seen the incident at all in the Arsenal match by the way, just making a general point.

• Advertisement

Tottenham
    What's this hands in an unnatural position that we have heard about for years. Is that not a rule.

I think it's just people describing intent awkwardly. An example that jumps to mind from years back was John Terry launching himself to block a shot with his arms stretched out as wide as possible. The shot was then struck against his arm; wasn't given even though he was deliberately making himself as big as possible, i.e. his arms were in an unnatural position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lukker- wrote: »
    Liverpool 9/2??

Doesn't make much sense them being twice as likely to win the league as Spurs.

Bookies must be just reacting to the market, must be lots of "our year" this season.

City will win the league anyway regardless of todays result, so Sunderland might as well be 2nd favourite.
    Thought Arsenal/Burnley was a terrible game to watch. Haven't seen a huge amount of games this year but I find the standard in the league is still not much higher this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Using your hands to direct a shot that was going wide into the net to score a goal while also being in an offside position when the initial ball was played ya sure shouldn't be an argument at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Using your hands to direct a shot that was going wide into the net to score a goal while also being in an offside position when the initial ball was played ya sure shouldn't be an argument at all.

Onside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Onside

Offside-1-1024x518.png

Here we go George Boyd circled is playing the 2 fellas in question onside, if the ball is initally touched by Ox (which it does) Kos is offside I don't know how you can get clearer than that, the goal went officially down as a Ox assist Kos goal which proves this.

...it was handball too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Offside-1-1024x518.png

Here we go George Boyd circled is playing the 2 fellas in question onside, if the ball is initally touched by Ox (which it does) Kos is offside I don't know how you can get clearer than that, the goal went officially down as a Ox assist Kos goal which proves this.

...it was handball too ;)

Ox never touched the ball, Koscielny played it against his own hands. There's a slow-mo replay vine around somewhere that shows it clearly.

And yeah, definite handball :D

Tottenham
    At the end of the day it's only arsenal so it doesn't really matter it's not going affect who wins the league or anything like that so we should all calm down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tottenham
    niallo27 wrote: »
    At the end of the day it's only arsenal so it doesn't really matter it's not going affect who wins the league or anything like that so we should all calm down a bit.

Well in that case we may as well crown Man City champions after 7 games then. Unless of course it's your year.

Tottenham
    Well in that case we may as well crown Man City champions after 7 games then. Unless of course it's your year.

I'm only winding you up, I like arsenal. I do think teams luck even out over a season most of the time so arsenal probably deserved their bit yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Fair dinkum to chelsea, looking spritely with this formation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement