Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Barclay's form is poor so I suppose he'll break the deadlock.

Manchester United
    Lukaku scores instead as he always does against west ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Fantastic by Bolasie there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Robles is having some game.

Manchester United
    Barkley scores, Bilic is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

West Ham tried to get Garcia in to replace Bilic but he chose Marseille instead.

Too early to label Giannelli Imbula a bust but he signed for over £18m, had a torrid start to the season and now can't get into the Stoke side ahead of Cameron or Adam. It's not looking good.

Hughes was saying his lack of English is really making him struggle to settle in at the moment but he understands because he was in that position himself before too.

Maybe one to come back to this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Swansea look a poor side on tonight's showing. The winter is going to be a long slog for them, the Mackems and Hull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stoke are coming up the hill, no question. They were very slow to get going last season as well.

blueser wrote: »
    Swansea look a poor side on tonight's showing. The winter is going to be a long slog for them, the Mackems and Hull.

I think Hull and Sunderland are as good as down.

The remaining place then likely to be a shootout between Swansea, Burnley and 'Boro with Burnley the most likely IMO.

I don't think anyone else will really get seriously dragged into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Paully D wrote: »

The remaining place then likely to be a shootout between Swansea, Burnley and 'Boro with Burnley the most likely IMO.

I don't think anyone else will really get seriously dragged into it.

Burnley to go down? I think they'll stay up. Seem very good at home and I think that'll go a long way.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Burnley to go down? I think they'll stay up. Seem very good at home and I think that'll go a long way.

Yeah, I think they will. Superb effort thus far but Dyce just has no Plan B from his 4-4-2 which IMO hurts them and excellent goalkeeping displays have won them more points than anything else.

Of course there's nothing to say it won't keep working for them, but I think when the games start coming thick and fast over the festive period their lack of depth will be really tested and with the quality of their squad they are only 2 or 3 injuries away from disaster.

From January to the end of the season their home games are Southampton, Leicester, Chelsea, Spurs, Stoke, United, West Brom and West Ham. I'm just not sure how many points are there for them in that bunch and away from home they are a different side (this is mainly where Dyche's tactical incompetence kills them).

I feel they'll need to have a decent amount of points on the board by the turn of the year for them to have any sort of chance of not being in serious danger of relegation when all is said and done. Ultimately, I think they'll go after a brave effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You say that every year without fail :D

Not looking good so far mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Yeah, I think they will. Superb effort thus far but Dyce just has no Plan B from his 4-4-2 which IMO hurts them and excellent goalkeeping displays have won them more points than anything else.

They have played 4-5-1 for most of this season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sunderland and Swansea are the two bankers for me at the moment. Cant understand what happened to Swansea, they were so well run for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

rob316 wrote: »
    Sunderland and Swansea are the two bankers for me at the moment. Cant understand what happened to Swansea, they were so well run for so long.

Actually felt Guidolin had Swansea playing somewhat well. Their fixture list at was just hell. Early days for Bradley yet of course but it really seemed a premature sacking. Unless of course there was something going on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Actually felt Guidolin had Swansea playing somewhat well. Their fixture list at was just hell. Early days for Bradley yet of course but it really seemed a premature sacking. Unless of course there was something going on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to.

I watched the game against Liverpool, that was not a team that wasn't playing for their manager. They desperately lack quality though, Allen and Bony available this summer and they didn't even try to get them back. The loss of Williams was huge too, he was a rock.

Huw Jenkins seems to have gone from have the Midas touch to that of a fumbling teenager.

http://euroclubindex.com/asp/leagueodds.asp

worth comparing the Prem with other major top flights which are pretty much one team or two leagues.

http://euroclubindex.com/asp/Methodology.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

They have played 4-5-1 for most of this season so far.

They have only played 451 with gray out suspended and away at Leicester. I was surprised he went back to 442 against utd. However they got good wins against Everton and Watford at home playing 451 so I think he will use it more often. Dyche never had the players to play 451 last time in premier. They tried to sign midfielders and couldn't get them in. Burnley isnt a great place to live and the wages they were offering meant championship players were turning them down. Marney and Jones were there only two cms and then marney got injured meaning arfield a winger had to play cm for the 2nd half of the season. It would have been a miracle if they stayed up last time around. I think they have a decent chance this time around as dyche now has some options.

Sunderland's midfield for today's game away to Bournemouth:

Pienaar - McNair - Ndong - Watmore

Inexcusable.

Inexcusable.
    I fancy them today actually and I don't think it's a bad idea putting McNair and Ndong there if the idea is to counter which is a good plan imo against Bournemouth.

Manchester United

Inexcusable.

Watmore do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    And they are 1-0 down.. they really need to bring Big Sam back ASAP.. Moyes is devoid of any ideas

astradave wrote: »
    And they are 1-0 down.. they really need to bring Big Sam back ASAP.. Moyes is devoid of any ideas

Allardyce won't be happening unfortunately given how things ended. In any case I doubt he would take the job. Best case scenario presuming today ends in another defeat is that Sunderland are 8 points (plus goal difference) away from getting to safety. Lots of easier fixtures have been wasted too. It's virtually at the stage now where it's a lost cause and regardless of what went on with Sam at England, he will be eventually be able to get a better job if he holds tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Pardew could be available for the Sunderland soon ;)

Fantastic ball from De Bruyne for Aguero to score. 1-0 City and it's unreal that it's only that, they could have had five in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

What a cross by De Bruyne. The vision to see that is staggering alone let alone the perfect delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sunderland have somehow managed to take the lead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Bournemouth player should have been sent off to

• Advertisement

Does that co-commentator (Andrews, is it?) even know about the new rules regarding cards for giving away penalties? Going on about Smith being lucky he wasn't red carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Moyes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's really on a hiding to nothing with Sunderland, but I'd like to see Moyes do well, especially after how he was treated at United.

Chelsea
    Does that co-commentator (Andrews, is it?) even know about the new rules regarding cards for giving away penalties? Going on about Smith being lucky he wasn't red carded.

Looks like I didn't either :D

Unearthly wrote: »
    Bournemouth player should have been sent off to
    If a penalty is conceded, then the "goalscoring opportunity" hasn't been denied as the attackers have the penalty. Therefore (AFAIAA), a yellow card is the punishment. If the foul happens outside the penalty area, a red card can be issued.

Er; I think!

Chelsea
    If a penalty is conceded, then the "goalscoring opportunity" hasn't been denied as the attackers have the penalty. Therefore (AFAIAA), a yellow card is the punishment. If the foul happens outside the penalty area, a red card can be issued.

Er; I think!

Yeah I think you are right. Makes sense to

What a save from Jordan Pickford. Unbelievable. :eek:

Unearthly wrote: »
    Yeah I think you are right. Makes sense to
    I think the idea was to get rid of the "double jeopardy" element; the defending team being punished twice (the red card and the penalty) for the one offence. Not sure what happens if a defender blatantly handles the ball on the line though; presumably the same standard still applies.

I called it, go on Sunderland. I had a bet on them at 19/5 to win today.

Manchester United
    Arsenal's year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Fair play to Sunderland, Moyes finally gets a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Last minute winner again for burnley.

Pardew has palace hurtling towards the relegation places again. Absolute fraud that man is.

Hull (H) next up for Sunderland too. You can't realistically ask for a better fixture than that. The international break has just come at the wrong time now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That was some mental last 10 mins across all the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How City drew that game is beyond me. Yet, Boro deserved the draw. They need really to become more clinical in finishing teams. They need far too many opportunities to score a goal. Against a more evenly matched defensive team they won't even get as many opportunities and knowing the peculiarity of this sport they'll probably convert all of them. But it seems fairer to think they won't. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Pardew will be under serious pressure now.

Manchester United
    3-1 chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    Bad tackle there. Could have been a red.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Hazzard can be disgustingly good at times

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement