Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Chelsea have some momentum, Hazard ripping everton apart, 2-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Manchester United
    I said it to my friends during the week that Chelsea are dark horses for the title.

Very solid side and everyone seems to know their role and what is expected of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Manchester United
    Is Trevor Francis actually thick in the head saying Pedro didn't affect Stekelenburg for that goal?

Offside in my opinion but tough decisions live for the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Hazard back to his best could be a title decider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is Trevor Francis actually thick in the head saying Pedro didn't affect Stekelenburg for that goal?

Offside in my opinion but tough decisions live for the officials.

Was just going to post this.

He ran straight across the goalies view of the ball and Stekelenberg couldn't react until he knew whether Pedro would touch the ball or not.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Would have been some goal if Moses scored there, great build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Liverpool
    Great ball by Alonso there, he looks a serious signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

We have been a joy to watch so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Great ball by Alonso there, he looks a serious signing.

And to think Sunderland offered a couple of million quid plus Diakite for him after his successful loan spell a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shows how tight the top 4 is, city could be 4th tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Liverpool
    Jaysus...

Manchester United
    Well deserved, 3-0, game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

3 - 0. Abramovich certainly looks happy.

Manchester United
    Wow chelsea are rampant, everyone on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Leicester
    Conte showing how you don't need months too have a team playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Wow chelsea are rampant, everyone on form.

I dunno. Courtois was entirely anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    This is very impressive from Chelsea.

Could be 4 or 5 up easily.

Manchester United
    Pedro was onside as well.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Pedro was onside as well.

If he was off it was marginal at best, so very harsh to disallow goal. Luiz looked offside though. Didn't get a proper replay view tho. Thought he was also interfering with line of sight of goalie for Costa's goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Arsenal
    Co-commentator reckons Chelsea's motivation and energy have dropped in the second half; might give Everton a lifeline.

The second half that had been on for 270 or so seconds.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Holy moly, what a feckin goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That was a cracking goal.

Jesus Hazard........really putting them to the sword now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This Chelsea team is basically the same team Mourinho had last year. After at a certain point, you can't blame the players.

Chelsea
    This Chelsea team is basically the same team Mourinho had last year. After at a certain point, you can't blame the players.

The difference from 12months ago is night and day.

The hunger from these players is exceptional to watch as well.

Manchester United
    Incredible performance even though everton have been shyte.

Chelsea
    I atill dont think we're title contenders but top 4 would be brilliant for us this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Terry , Fabregas and Ivanovic will struggle to get back into that team.

Pedro and Hazard completely reborn for the past 5 games.

Manchester United
    Applause worthy, Costa world class.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    iMuse wrote: »
    Terry , Fabregas and Ivanovic will struggle to get back into that team.

Pedro and Hazard completely reborn for the past 5 games.

They wont get back in.

Neither will zouma actually.

That was just amazing by Costa before that 5th goal. The control and nutmeg.

Some statement this.

Gav, you're really playing this down. :p
    "Top Four".

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I atill dont think we're title contenders but top 4 would be brilliant for us this year.

I think anyone who is top four this season will automatically be a title contender. There's going to be very little between first and fourth come the final day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Does commentator on BT keep calling Kante Conte.

Fck me, every dribble from any of the front 3 seems to be coming off. Whether it's Hazard, Costa or Pedro, they're just turning and running away no matter who's marking them. Don't think I've seen something like that in a while.

Manchester United
    International break, say it ain't so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Manchester United
    Does commentator on BT keep calling Kante Conte.
    I believe they're pronounced the same. Open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Even getting a tune out of Victor Moses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Everton will probably blame Martinez for that game. Very poor performance that.

ERG89 wrote: »

Nah, it's Martin O'Neill's fault for naming McCarthy in his squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Manchester United
    ERG89 wrote: »

Suddenly an offside injurytime equaliser doesn't seem so bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    Massive credit must go to Conte. He has (more or less) the same team available to him as Mourinho did last season yet it's night and day in terms of both results and level of performance. He's a genuinely top class coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Pickford looks a bit special.

Chelsea
    Massive credit must go to Conte. He has (more or less) the same team available to him as Mourinho did last season yet it's night and day in terms of both results and level of performance. He's a genuinely top class coach.

Is it much different to the one Jose had 2 years ago?

Manchester United
    Is it much different to the one Jose had 2 years ago?

Not hugely though the dip between last season and the one before is considerable enough to not just be writteb off as a blip. If you really wanted to break it down further you could probably argue that the dip began in the 2nd half of that 2nd season.

Chelsea
    Not hugely though the dip between last season and the one before is considerable enough to not just be writteb off as a blip. If you really wanted to break it down further you could probably argue that the dip began in the 2nd half of that 2nd season.

No not a blip there was massive issues there no doubt between players and manager (prob stuff we will never know about and plenty we do) but I'd question you giving huge credit to Conte coming in to a squad with the talent to win a league having them top of the league. Not saying he doesnt deserve credit.

But your a bit tabloidy for me saying a world class manager taking a Premiership winning squad to th e top of the table deserves huge credit

Manchester United
    No not a blip there was massive issues there no doubt between players and manager (prob stuff we will never know about and plenty we do) but I'd question you giving huge credit to Conte coming in to a squad with the talent to win a league having them top of the league. Not saying he doesnt deserve credit.

But your a bit tabloidy for me saying a world class manager taking a Premiership winning squad to th e top of the table deserves huge credit

I don't think its sensationalist at all. A team that last season didnt even qualify for the Europa League, with a manager coming into a new league and not acquiring his top targets while the title rivals spent huge sums of cash (not that Chelsea didnt spend big but not on level A players) to turn that into a side ahead of City and so far ahead of Man Utd at this stage is incredible. Infact the very poll on this thread speaks volumes about the expectations for Chelsea this season.

Chelsea
    I don't think its sensationalist at all. A team that last season didnt even qualify for the Europa League, with a manager coming into a new league and not acquiring his top targets while the title rivals spent huge sums of cash (not that Chelsea didnt spend big but not on level A players) to turn that into a side ahead of City and so far ahead of Man Utd at this stage is incredible. Infact the very poll on this thread speaks volumes about the expectations for Chelsea this season.

But you just said it was near enough the same squad the won the league 2 years previous the talent was obviously there on both sides 2 years ago just problems underneath disrupted last season.

You add a world class manager into that league winning squad minus the problems and its not a stretch to imagine him doing well.

From someone who says the knwoledge of this forum is poor, I find it strange you would use a poll voted on by us minnions to help you arguement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

But you just said it was near enough the same squad the won the league 2 years previous the talent was obviously there on both sides 2 years ago just problems underneath disrupted last season.

You add a world class manager into that league winning squad minus the problems and its not a stretch to imagine him doing well.

From someone who says the knwoledge of this forum is poor, I find it strange you would use a poll voted on by us minnions to help you arguement.

Had you Chelsea down as title contenders at the beginning of the season?

Manchester United

2 years is a long time in football. It discounts the possibility of decline in physical capability, mentality and desire. It also doesn't take into account the improvements made by their rival teams in those 2 years.

I don't create expectations, I'm merely an observer of such expectations and clearly the expectation was that Mourinho's Man Utd would be champions.

Chelsea
    Panthro wrote: »
    Had you Chelsea down as title contenders at the beginning of the season?

I voted United but heart head thing most likely. Im just saying its not surprising a class manager has a title winning squad in contention.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement