Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

Chelsea
    2 years is a long time in football. It discounts the possibility of decline in physical capability, mentality and desire. It also doesn't take into account the improvements made by their rival teams in those 2 years.

I don't create expectations, I'm merely an observer of such expectations and clearly the expectation was that Mourinho's Man Utd would be champions.

Do you think that Chesea Squad is phyiscally less capable? Mentality and desrie can fluctuate its actually harder to keep people as strict after they have been winning. Sure even Pepgod doesnt think his players could hack him after 3 seasons.

I never said you created expectations I said you using a poll from a forum where you have said knwoledge is poorto back up your arguement is strange

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    Do you think that Chesea Squad is phyiscally less capable? Mentality and desrie can fluctuate its actually harder to keep people as strict after they have been winning. Sure even Pepgod doesnt think his players could hack him after 3 seasons.

I never said you created expectations I said you using a poll from a forum where you have said knwoledge is poorto back up your arguement is strange

Yes I do actually. Terry and Ivanovic were 2 mainstays in that team and they've certainly declined physically. Cahill (up until recently at least) looked about ready to be put out to pasture. Some cases too for some fringe players looking past it. Yep that's true but luckily Pepgod (copyright pending) also delivers trophies and quite enjoyable football in those 3 seasons (funny how Pep has little to do with this discussion but whatever).

Whether the knowledge is poor or not doesn't matter in the slightest. I said expectation, not knowledge. You didn't expect Chelsea to be above Man Utd and Man City in the table, neither did a 100 others on this forum, as a result their expectations have (thus far) been proven incorrect. It matters not a bit how knowledgeable the majority are, all that matters, in this argument, is the expectations of the masses here.

Chelsea
    Yes I do actually. Terry and Ivanovic were 2 mainstays in that team and they've certainly declined physically. Cahill (up until recently at least) looked about ready to be put out to pasture. Some cases too for some fringe players looking past it. Yep that's true but luckily Pepgod (copyright pending) also delivers trophies and quite enjoyable football in those 3 seasons (funny how Pep has little to do with this discussion but whatever).

Whether the knowledge is poor or not doesn't matter in the slightest. I said expectation, not knowledge. You didn't expect Chelsea to be above Man Utd and Man City in the table, neither did a 100 others on this forum, as a result their expectations have (thus far) been proven incorrect. It matters not a bit how knowledgeable the majority are, all that matters, in this argument, is the expectations of the masses here.

Look we could argue the semantics all night but you said Conte deserves massive credit from turning the squad from last season around a squad you have already admitted was the close to the same that won the league 2 years ago.

So I think you are being at best, too praiseworthy and at worst what the majority on here think you are. Although that opinion on you comes from both knowledge and expectation.

Manchester United
    Look we could argue the semantics all night but you said Conte deserves massive credit from turning the squad from last season around a squad you have already admitted was the close to the same that won the league 2 years ago.

So I think you are being at best, too praiseworthy and at worst what the majority on here think you are. Although that opinion on you comes from both knowledge and expectation.

We can't though because my language has been pretty clear and concise throughout so there's really no arguments to be had.

Next question so because now I'm interested in how you think Mourinho took a title winning team and crashed them into the league position in which they landed when he departed Chelsea, is the same happening at Man Utd because, afterall he did take over a team that at the time was level on points with Man City. Perhaps against that backdrop this Antonio Conte is quite good?

Interesting closing statement, but hey I suppose why try debating the football post when you can just have a go at the poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I voted United but heart head thing most likely. Im just saying its not surprising a class manager has a title winning squad in contention.

It's not surprising yet not many would have predicted the turn around from last season to where we are now .
    Early days in the season yet of course .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Mybgod what avteak line up from united, pure park the bus tactic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Mybgod what avteak line up from united, pure park the bus tactic

Seems sensible to me, the team has been struggling lately so seems fair to take the younsters out the firing line and let the experienced pros play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Mourinho might want to mirror Conte's formation to some extent.

Manchester United
    Vintage Pogba, amazing strike.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Carrick just adds so much to united, Flabianski poor keeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Manchester United
    Liverpool tearing it up! 4-0

Manchester United
    Buh bye swansea, awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Manchester United
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Liverpool tearing it up! 4-0

5-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Buh bye swansea, awful stuff.

I know he's new but since Bradley's appointment they've regressed considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Massive result for Hull today. It eases a bit of the pressure on them ahead of their next game away to Sunderland anyway. I still think they're goosed mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,387 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Turtwig wrote: »

He could be gone by Christmas himself. They really are bad. And seem to have gotten worse if anything since he got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The bottom 3 now will be the bottom 3 I feel. Two good wins but Sunderlands in particular felt like one of those days that it just fell for them. Battered with 10 men but nick the winner.
    Swansea were the one who I felt could get out. But they're proper ****e. As bad as the other two if not worse

Manchester United
    Turtwig wrote: »

Bradley was supposedly showing swans players clips of how Neymar and Messi close down their opposition.

Manchester United
    Swansea have De Horn.

Manchester United
    Zlatan suspended for arsenal game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    Why is zatalan so angry lately. He dragged his boot down the players head there.

• Chelsea
    General thread an ideal place to do the usual it seems
    Ibra is a monster :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's not a sport dictated by entertainment but I HATE to see West Brom games on TV. Going from watching Liverpool to this is like watching The Dark Knight before Batman & Robin

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's not a sport dictated by entertainment but I HATE to see West Brom games on TV. Going from watching Liverpool to this is like watching The Dark Knight before Batman & Robin

Ahh c'mon now. There's beauty in everything you just gotta be very explicitly told how to see it.

Looking at those two line-ups I can't imagine Wenger has had a better chance of beating Mourinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Yaya starting today for City. Pretty much 100% certain to score yeah? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    The champions 2 -0 down.

Edit; 2 - 1 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Manchester United
    Burial. wrote: »

Yep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

How many penalties does jagielka give away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Burial. wrote: »

Easy game ;)

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    The goal rush on NBC (i think) is class.. All goals and keep current game up in picture and picture

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The goal rush on NBC (i think) is class.. All goals and keep current game up in picture and picture

They do it on beIN sport too

Chelsea
    Lukker- wrote: »
    They do it on beIN sport too

O maybe it is bien im ah not 100% sure where im watching :)

Must be frustrating being an Everton fan watching Bolasie cross the ball., 9/10 must be over hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

O maybe it is bien im ah not 100% sure where im watching :)

If it's Keys and Gray commentating it's beIN. They were banished to countries that embrace misogyny.

City have a shot cleared off the line.. Palace go straight down the other end and equalise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Kane is back and Spurs are a totally different team.

They would be crazy not to pay him the money he wants England's best striker by a country mile.

Kane is back and Spurs are a totally different team.

They would be crazy not to pay him the money he wants England's best striker by a country mile.

Pfft they'll just sell him for boat loads and buy several players to replace him, what could possibly go wrong. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chelsea
    Turtwig wrote:
    Pfft they'll just sell him for boat loads and buy several players to replace him, what could possibly go wrong.

And Utd will buy him for a huge fee and what could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Decent start from boro , hope they nick a goal soon and Costa getting himself booked or sent off would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Another weird kit decision, not sure why Chelsea opted against all blue against red and white?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Another weird kit decision, not sure why Chelsea opted against all blue against red and white?
    It seems to be becoming more commonplace nowadays. Even when there's no clash, clubs will still wear their change strip. Marketing, maybe? Get more exposure in the media for their change kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is Willian injured? Not in the match day squad.
    Seems to be the one player missing out in this modified 3-4-3 formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Manchester United

They don't wear change strips just because of colour clashes anymore. It's a an away strip and teams often wear them just to sell more jerseys.

Sure look at Ireland, played 4 games in Euro 2016 and only played in green once despite not playing against any team in green.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is Willian injured? Not in the match day squad.
    Seems to be the one player missing out in this modified 3-4-3 formation.

I don't think he has enough of a goal threat to play in the front 3 in this formation. Probably more suited to moses position

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    New system, new way of playing and Costa looks like a new man. He's fearsome, he's the best striker in this league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

New system, new way of playing and Costa looks like a new man. He's fearsome, he's the best striker in this league.

You'll probably say the same thing about Aguero whenever he scores :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Anyone watching Burnley v Man City?

With the glare from the sun it's basically unwatchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    Burnley have gifted city the two goals.

Yaya Toure got kneeed in the stomach there. How that was not a penalty is beyond me.

:confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement