Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Johner wrote: »
    No, just in general. Didn't see the incident but I think he's a clown anyway.

Ah the standard can't give a reason response. Good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Tony Pulis has done a really good job with West Brom. Doesn't look to be a chance they'll be close to relegation and he's built quite a decent squad with them now they could potentially push on and finish 7th or 8th

He really is an excellent manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tony Pulis has done a really good job with West Brom. Doesn't look to be a chance they'll be close to relegation and he's built quite a decent squad with them now they could potentially push on and finish 7th or 8th

Deserves a nice Xmas bonus I'd say ;)

City losing was a travesty,and trying to play with no goalie makes it hard for them. Did he make a save at all .? Very poor especially for goals 2 and 3, he wasn't even in the goals for the second goal, he was way out to the side !

Don't understand the crisis of McLean, simply won the throw in by hitting the player with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Says a lot about the teams below them more than Pulis being excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah the standard can't give a reason response. Good job.

I think he's an attention seeking unlikeable character that doesn't do himself any favours with the way he conducts himself on and off the field. He's always involved in something.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Says a lot about the teams below them more than Pulis being excellent.

Not sure about that.

He did a brilliant job with Palace keeping them up and similarly Stoke were never relegation candidates in his time there, he kept them comfortable for a long while and helped establish them as a premier league club.

Chelsea
    Look who've they've beaten - Bournemouth with lucky goal, Hull who are **** and Leicester who are now very much in 2014/15 spec!

Ah in fairness they have had plenty of bad luck this season aswell, they have many games by the odd goal, the most telling thing for me is that the players still played for him through the rough patch and that speaks volumes for a manager imo

Deserves a nice Xmas bonus I'd say ;)

City losing was a travesty,and trying to play with no goalie makes it hard for them. Did he make a save at all .? Very poor especially for goals 2 and 3, he wasn't even in the goals for the second goal, he was way out to the side !

Don't understand the crisis of McLean, simply won the throw in by hitting the player with the ball.

I found it odd aswell. What he did happens over and over again in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Rojo should be off, just got away with a two footed tackle that makes agueros look tame

• Advertisement

• Chelsea
    davycc wrote: »
    Rojo should be off, just got away with a two footed tackle that makes agueros look tame

Agree Rojo should have been off but to suggest it makes Agueros look tame is wrong

Agueros was worse and was pure malice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Agree Rojo should have been off but to suggest it makes Agueros look tame is wrong

Agueros was worse and was pure malice

I reckon Rojos carried more forced as he was jumping in and landing down but Aguero was around the knee with a scissor style tackle, leading with his foot and his intent to do damage was clear from the moment he left his feet.

Had either of Luiz feet been planted he'd be facing a serious lay off I reckon.

Had Rojo went in like that and Gueye was standing and not sliding, its a different ball game but because hes on the ground he hasnt any leg planted and can be moved with the force.

Both red card tackles though, easily and not trying to defend Rojo either but Agueros is worse, for me.

Chelsea
    I think he's an attention seeking unlikeable character that doesn't do himself any favours with the way he conducts himself on and off the field. He's always involved in something.

Yeah he was seeking attention by getting kicked by that buck. He's abused because he's principaled.. So many people in this country are so warped by the British media and how the public there act they can't even see how it influences their thinking.

His crimes seem to be not wearing a poppy and liking the Wolfe tones. Go have a look at all the good work he does especially for people in derry. He's a great guy off the field.

Yeah he was seeking attention by getting kicked by that buck. He's abused because he's principaled.. So many people in this country are so warped by the British media and how the public there act they can't even see how it influences their thinking.

His crimes seem to be not wearing a poppy and liking the Wolfe tones. Go have a look at all the good work he does especially for people in derry. He's a great guy off the field.

I never said he was attention seeking because of this incident did I? I've watched the incident now and there was absolutely no need for McClean to boot the ball like he did at Pereyra. He knew exactly what he was doing. He comes across as a clown, that's my opinion. Get over it.

• Chelsea
    4 match ban for the shocker tackle from Aueguro

Should have been more IMO

Can see city struggle in the next few matches

• Chelsea
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I reckon Rojos carried more forced as he was jumping in and landing down but Aguero was around the knee with a scissor style tackle, leading with his foot and his intent to do damage was clear from the moment he left his feet.

Had either of Luiz feet been planted he'd be facing a serious lay off I reckon.

Had Rojo went in like that and Gueye was standing and not sliding, its a different ball game but because hes on the ground he hasnt any leg planted and can be moved with the force.

Both red card tackles though, easily and not trying to defend Rojo either but Agueros is worse, for me.

To elaborate: Rojos was dangerous but without the intent
    It was stupidity more than anything else. He should know you can't jump in like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Personally I thought the Rojo two footed straight leg challenge was more dangerous, but at least Rojo can argue he was going for the ball, Aguero doesn't have that excuse.

Chelsea
    4 match ban for the shocker tackle from Aueguro

Should have been more IMO

Can see city struggle in the next few matches

Ya, Fernandinho will get 3 too, Aguero is back for the Liverpool game at Anfield on New Years eve though but in a position where City usually had a few options like Negredo, Dzeko, Bony or Balotelli, they've got only Inhenacho (sp) who is a fine talent but in the last few weeks he hasnt really been all that great, huge pressure on him to perform.

Aguero and Fernandinho will miss :

Leicester - A
    Watford - H
    Arsenal - H

Aguero will then miss the 4th game, which is Hull - A.

The Arsenal and Liverpool games are huge and if they dont start putting together a run, they could be afew points off the top soon enough.

Chelsea
    To elaborate: Rojos was dangerous but without the intent
    It was stupidity more than anything else. He should know you can't jump in like that

Thats it, the intent part. He intended to play the ball and he got it.

Aguero intended to play Luiz and he did.

Fabregas will probably get a ban as well.

• Chelsea
    Why so?

• Advertisement

Why so?

He gave Fernandinho a little slap.

Chelsea

Ya, I wouldnt be too pi**ed about it, it was a petulant thing to do, even if he was only trying to get Fernadinhos attention, raise your hand and you'll run the risk of getting sent off or a retrospective ban.

Still wont be as funny as his red card for whacking a ball off a WBA players head from 30 yards. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    Shocked to see Liverpool dropping points yesterday after being 1-3 up. They have as good as a gimme next, sorry West Ham fans, so they can put it behind them. Chelsea look like the team to beat at the moment and they are playing like champions. Their next five games are ones you would expect them to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Loads of lads looking for a Christmas break with some of those tackles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Manchester United
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    Loads of lads looking for a Christmas break with some of those tackles!

Yeah, leg breaks!

Chelsea
    I never said he was attention seeking because of this incident did I? I've watched the incident now and there was absolutely no need for McClean to boot the ball like he did at Pereyra. He knew exactly what he was doing. He comes across as a clown, that's my opinion. Get over it.

You post something on a message board then expect to have people discuss or debate with you.

The ball was in play, he was entitled to kick it wherever he wanted. If the ball was dead and he did that then I'd say yeah he started it, but it wasn't and he didn't.

So what has he done that makes him attention seeking? Not wear a Poppy. that's it and the amount of Irish people that view him the same way as a Daily Mail column writer as a result is warped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Duncan Watmore out for the season. It looked bad at the time. Such a huge blow for a kid who had really taken a leap this year. His determination and workrate had been a big part of the recent run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bolasie done his acl too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hull are so poor. I just can't see how they won't go down.

Palace at home next is a massive game for them and then after that they've got Spurs (A), West Ham (A), City (H) and Everton (H) over Christmas.

Paully D wrote: »
    Hull are so poor. I just can't see how they won't go down.

Palace at home next is a massive game for them and then after that they've got Spurs (A), West Ham (A), City (H) and Everton (H) over Christmas.

Hull and Swansea look as good as down. Hull have no chance but if Swansea bring in a manager with pedigree very very soon then they have the players to give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Bob Bradley was a bad appointment. The team is playing considerably worse than they were under Guidolin and they aren't picking up points. I think the new American owners were way to quick to sack him.

Chelsea
    Goal of the season contender from Hendrick there. Absolute peach of a strike.

Also ward getting the second is great.

Unbelievably cowardly from Ashley Barnes there.He should be seriously embarrassed with his pathetic effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great 3 pts for Burnley. Hone form is very good they have picked up 16 pts at home.

Swansea out of the relegation zone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

All 5 home teams so far today scoring 3 goals

Chelsea
    Lol city. Wouldn't bet against Leicester making it another 3 for the home team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lol city. Wouldn't bet against Leicester making it another 3 for the home team.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What on earth is the purpose of Jesus Navas?

He looks good, runs around a lot and never seems to actually do anything useful.

I can't understand how he's lasted this long at City.
    Over his City career he's 0.05 goals per game and 0.25 assists per game.

How is that good enough for taking up 1 of their 4 attacking positions? How is a relegation-tier winger keeping out 200m quid's worth of other players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

John Stones looks about as convincing at centre back as Kolarov or Sagna

• Chelsea
    Pep continues to struggle in this league
    Not that suprising to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Put up before the matches today (City's numbers may now look worse!)

Cz_UCEGLWIAAZWv_C_jpg_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

In 2010 the PL goal total record for a match week was 36.

This season has already got two week totals of 37.

Game week 15 {This week} has 29 goals with 4 games to go.

It could be around the 40 mark after tomorrows games.

Record is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Nice touch by the Burnley fans to applaud Harry Arter in the 8th minute to mark the anniversary of his daughters death. A little thing that they didn't have to do and no one would notice if they didn't yet I'm sure means a lot to Harry and his family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He is massively overrated imo and I look to be right so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham

Yeah, I think their PL title challenge is on it's last legs. They are playing Arsenal and Liverpool soon and they need to win both those games to re-establish themselves as title challengers. I think the league is between Chelsea and Liverpool myself. Arsenal with finish in the top four but they won't win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Come on chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Rondon causing a bit of havoc the few times he gets the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Amazing that even with Austin out injured neither Shane Long nor Nathan Redmond are in the starting lineup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

8-10 wrote: »
    Amazing that even with Austin out injured neither Shane Long nor Nathan Redmond are in the starting lineup

Amazing? Why?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement