Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    This Chelsea side is so very clinical. Won it in midfield, the subsequent attack was so swift. 1-0

Manchester United
    Magnificent save from Courtois at the death is the difference between 3 points and 1 for Chelsea and more and more they are looking like champions.

Manchester United
    Good win in the middle of the pitch by Toure and Silva has the composure to finish. Could be an important 3 points here for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    Courtois made 2 great saves, start of the 2nd half against Januzaj and then right at the end, saved us tonight even do we should have been out of sight by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Courtois made 2 great saves, start of the 2nd half against Januzaj and then right at the end, saved us tonight even do we should have been out of sight by then.

Heard that the saves were brilliant alright. Some amazing run you guys are on at the moment. Keep that up for much longer and ye could be out of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/809178006635716608

Why the BBC use Phil Neville I'm not sure.

• Chelsea
    MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/809178006635716608

Why the BBC use Phil Neville I'm not sure.

Because he talks sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Because he talks sense

Ibrahimovic is world class because he plays every game
    Was/Is is the same thing.

Spurs rely too much on a special moment from Kane who this season has scored tap ins & penalties this season

He is a terrible pundit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Does anyone know any good pundits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not really, but some suck less than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ibra was world class, he is a step below now but I'm pretty sure what Phil meant is to highlight how incredible it is to be doing what he is at his age, its unheard of to be playing so regularly at 35 up front, alone and having an impact in games even at the death.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Didi Hamann, Lord Brian Kerr. Struggling a bit past that...

Didi Hamann, Lord Brian Kerr. Struggling a bit past that...

Both well capable of coming out with some crackpot statements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Arghus wrote: »
    Not really, but some suck less than others.

Brad Friedal was pretty good when he did a stint on RTE.

Chelsea
    Shearer talks more ****e there than Neville. So there's only 3 world class players now then? I'll remember that the next time he's spouting about some English lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jayop wrote: »
    Shearer talks more ****e there than Neville. So there's only 3 world class players now then? I'll remember that the next time he's spouting about some English lad.

He never said those 3 were the only current world class players. He just used them as an example to compare Ibra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

All depends on how you define World Class.

What Ibrahimovic is doing is incredible though as how many strikers at 35 are the starting centre forwards at big clubs right now or ever have been .I don't think there are any right now and I'm struggling to remember too many from the past either.

His position is the most difficult one to play in as you get older, strikers tend to fall away very quickly as they get into their 30's.

I thought if he got 20 goals in all competitions this season it would be a successful season for him but it looks like he'll break that comfortably enough now barring a complete collapse from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

All depends on how you define World Class.

What Ibrahimovic is doing is incredible though as how many strikers at 35 are the starting centre forwards at big clubs right now or ever have been .I don't think there are any right now and I'm struggling to remember too many from the past either.

His position is the most difficult one to play in as you get older, strikers tend to fall away very quickly as they get into their 30's.

I thought if he got 20 goals in all competitions this season it would be a successful season for him but it looks like he'll break that comfortably enough now barring a complete collapse from him.

Big clubs aren't in the Europa League though playing teams who don't particularly care, mind you I don't think any PL club would scare the top sides in Europe now compared to 8/10 years ago. He was always a very good forward; especially domestically & makes those around him play better but a complete failure to impose himself on the bigger games in Europe for Milan, Inter & PSG was the reason he never even got close to winning one of those.
    I wouldn't judge him internationally as Sweden aren't what they were, at Barca he may as well have been playing basketball as there was such a stylistic clash between the two & his stint at Juve is marred by the fact everything they achieved was rigged.
    Scoring a few goals at 35 is impressive but hes at Man United its not any more impressive than Defoe who does it surrounded by total incompetence

Both well capable of coming out with some crackpot statements.
    Doesn't really change what I said, they're generally good (great even) pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

ERG89 wrote: »
    Scoring a few goals at 35 is impressive but hes at Man United its not any more impressive than Defoe who does it surrounded by total incompetence

Ibrahimovic is always going to be criticised. If he wasn't scoring for United he'd be called a failure. But he's nearly top scorer in the most physical league in the world and still criticised. He's world class by any standards.

• Advertisement

Doesn't really change what I said, they're generally good (great even) pundits.

Sure but it's all subjective anyway. I like Kerr myself but there's plenty that think he's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The only pundit I can think of that's worse than Phil Neville is Ian wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The only pundit I can think of that's worse than Phil Neville is Ian wright.

Michael Owen and Lou Macari are far worse than either of the 2 you mention.

Owen is clueless and deals in inanities. Both Lou Macari's content and delivery are so depressing that every time I hear him I want to slash my wrists. (Thankfully he's not on the air too much these days)

Sure but it's all subjective anyway. I like Kerr myself but there's plenty that think he's terrible.

And those people are the worst there are :D

Chelsea
    Turtwig wrote: »
    He never said those 3 were the only current world class players. He just used them as an example to compare Ibra.

He said if you're not as good as those three then you can't be world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Chelsea to make it eleven in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't understand why refs are so reluctant to take out the card early on. Guaranteed yellow for Kante there and it makes a player like him less effective for the next 80 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If he was a palace player he'd have been carded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Manchester United
    Chelsea game is on Sky Sports Mix which is free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Short corners, why. They rarely ever come off, you've committed your cb's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is a game that could end in a flurry of red cards and very little has happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Classy Costa header, one up.

Manchester United
    Soectacular leap, great goal. You're watching Diego Costa in his prime, and he is, at this moment, the best striker on the planet. Fearsome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Soectacular leap, great goal. You're watching Diego Costa in his prime, and he is, at this moment, the best striker on the planet. Fearsome.

Better than Suarez? I don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Clinical by Costa there. Liking Marcos Alonso more with every game.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    emmetkenny wrote: »

Better than Suarez thus far this season? Absolutely yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ha! Better than Aguero and Messi too?

Where's that popcorn gif?

Manchester United
    Ha! Better than Aguero and Messi too?

Where's that popcorn gif?

Far better than Aguero this season (that's not a contest) and Messi is not a striker. No need for that pocorn gif, Costa is the best 9 in the businesd right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    That's now 60 goals and assists in 71 Premier League matches for Diego Costa (45G, 15A).

Thats not a bad return really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Azpilicueta did brilliantly for the goal. Saw where he could burst forward from right centre back after Willian and Moses had taken up good positions and then delivered a great ball. Lovely goal.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    Azpilicueta did brilliantly for the goal. Saw where he could burst forward from right centre back after Willian and Moses had taken up good positions and then delivered a great ball. Lovely goal.

Cahill too in the other side has done well coming forward and linking with Alonso and Hazard high up the pitch.

Aubameyang or Costa are the best strikers on current form. Don't think anyone would pick anyone other than Suarez for best striker in the world though.

Better than Suarez thus far this season? Absolutely yes.

Really?

Suarez has 13 goals in 20 games and 7 assists.
    A goal every 125 minutes.

Costa has 12 goals in 18 games and 5 assists.

So as you can see Costa is clearly not the far superior striker this season he has actually the same goals to minutes ratio as Suarez, while Suarez has also contributed two additional assists.

Another thing to consider is Costa is the 'Main Man' up front for Chelsea so will undoubtedly be in front of goal a lot more than Suarez who interchanges with Neymar and Messi quite regularly in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Aubameyang, Lewandowski, Suarez?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Really?

So as you can see Costa is clearly not the far superior striker this season he has actually the same goals to minutes ratio as Suarez, while Suarez has also contributed two additional assists.

Another thing to consider is Costa is the 'Main Man' up front for Chelsea so will undoubtedly be in front of goal a lot more than Suarez who interchanges with Neymar and Messi quite regularly in play.

Yeah but now Chelsea look like winning the league so you know someone has to be made the in world blah blah

Really?

Don't think Costa is better than Suarez but i'd rather his 12 goals playing in the Premiership than Suarez's upfront for Barca in the La Liga.

Clothesline from hell to Courtois' back from Delaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Am I right saying that if Costa gets sent off for a second booking he only misses the next game.

That's a bit strange isn't it, seen as he was going to miss it anyway.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Don't think Costa is better than Suarez but i'd rather his 12 goals playing in the Premiership than Suarez's upfront for Barca in the La Liga.

Suarez played 133 games for Liverpool and scored 82 goals and had 53 assists.

Costa has played 96 games for Chelsea and scored 48 goals with 21 assists.

Since Suarez left Liverpool he's gone onto another level in his ability. It's also arguable that Suarez played with a weaker team in the PL league than Costa has, so would that not make Suarez stats even more impressive?

Suarez played 133 games for Liverpool and scored 82 goals and had 53 assists.

Costa has played 96 games for Chelsea and scored 48 goals with 21 assists.

Since Suarez left Liverpool he's gone onto another level in his ability. It's also arguable that Suarez played with a weaker team in the PL league than Costa has, so would that not make Suarez stats even more impressive?

I'm not saying Suarez isn't better than him. I'm saying Costa your argument goals per minutes this season is a poor one. Suarez has gotten token goals this year while the majority of Costa's have been winners in tight games.

Suarez is clearly an all round better player, but Costa is in the form of his life.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement