Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I'm not saying Suarez isn't better than him. I'm saying Costa your argument goals per minutes this season is a poor one. Suarez has gotten token goals this year while the majority of Costa's have been winners in tight games.

Suarez is clearly an all round better player, but Costa is in the form of his life.

But I just showed Suarez goals per game in the PL from his time with Liverpool and it is well above Costas in the PL.

I'm not arguing that Costa isn't in good form but in relation to Andersonisgod post that Costa is the best striker in the world at the minute I believe it was a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Incredible vision from Hazard. Fabregas should have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

emmetkenny wrote: »
    But I just showed Suarez goals per game in the PL from his time with Liverpool and it is well above Costas in the PL.

I'm not arguing that Costa isn't in good form but in relation to Andersonisgod post that Costa is the best striker in the world at the minute I believe it was a bit over the top.

Why even bring up his goal per game ratio from Liverpool? He's talking about this season. They play completely different styles anyway. That Liverpool team was ultra attacking and Sturridge had insane stats around that time too. This Chelsea team is more conservative and Costa has been getting vital goals in tight games. Its all an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Is it just me or is Wayne Hennessey very unconvincing in goals.

He's made some decent saves but 3 times I've seen him parry the ball back into play when he should have been able either to keep the ball to himself or push it out of play.

I've never thought he was great and am surprised Mandanda isn't in instead of him all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Fabregas razor sharp since coming on.

Why even bring up his goal per game ratio from Liverpool? He's talking about this season. They play completely different styles anyway. That Liverpool team was ultra attacking and Sturridge had insane stats around that time too. This Chelsea team is more conservative and Costa has been getting vital goals in tight games. Its all an opinion.

I brought up Suarez goals per game from the PL because you said you'd rather Costas 12 goals in the PL than Suarez goals in LA Liga with Barca.

I mentioned Suarez PL goals to game to show that Suarez had similar stats for his time in the PL as he now has in LA Liga.

I brought up Suarez goals per game from the PL because you said you'd rather Costas 12 goals in the PL than Suarez goals in LA Liga with Barca.

I mentioned Suarez PL goals to game to show that Suarez had similar stats for his time in the PL as he now has in LA Liga.

Suarez's PL stats are irrelevant. He's talking about current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cesc has been sensational this half.

Burial. wrote: »
    Suarez's PL stats are irrelevant. He's talking about current form.

Well then Costa is level with Suarez on current form.

• Advertisement

Why is everything about stats? Theres a difference between scoring the 3rd or 4th goal in a rout or the winner in a 1-0 game.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    Worst free kick ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Palace really are rubbish - content to look like they were trying.

I beg to differ:

54412322b2005bc4fe425288122b68dd.png

vs.

2d42226de0efc848e97ebcfd38cd5a50.png

Costa clearly in the better goal scoring form. Another goal to add to Costa after today too.

Aubameyang might be on the best form actually, but a toss up between him and Costa right now:

03154051de11ed9e87af9f67d8aba8f5.png

Why is everything about stats? Theres a difference between scoring the 3rd or 4th goal in a rout or the winner in a 1-0 game.

Everything isn't about stats but are easier to convey on an internet forum than the way a player drags an opponent out of position or there tireless pressing and work rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    Another deserved win. Could have easily been 2 or 3 up but f**k it. 3 pts is 3 pts.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Antonioooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Manchester United

I've never thought he was great and am surprised Mandanda isn't in instead of him all the time.

He's injured at the moment I think.

• Chelsea
    Pains me to say it but Conte not only a great manager but is likeable also
    Kind of reminds me of Pellegrini in a way

Chelsea are such a solid team. Form vs. form I think City are better but Chelsea are such a consistent machine whereas City are very swingy. Looking very hard to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Chelsea will walk to the title easily. Machine

• Advertisement

Burial. wrote: »
    I beg to differ:

54412322b2005bc4fe425288122b68dd.png

vs.

2d42226de0efc848e97ebcfd38cd5a50.png

Costa clearly in the better goal scoring form. Another goal to add to Costa after today too.

Aubameyang might be on the best form actually, but a toss up between him and Costa right now:

03154051de11ed9e87af9f67d8aba8f5.png

I thought we were discussing form this season? You've only shown the last 9/10 games?

Or have I thaken this whole thing up wrong and we were only meant to be talking about the most recent games :D

I thought we were discussing form this season? You've only shown the last 9/10 games?

Or have I thaken this whole thing up wrong and we were only meant to be talking about the most recent games :D

Original poster mentioned currently which would allude to last 10 games or so. Start of the season was ages ago and hardly fair to include in current form. Guys like De Bruyne looked Ballon D'Or material at the start of the season, but currently is in poorish form.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Chelsea will walk to the title easily. Machine

Far to early to tell yet.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Another deserved win. Could have easily been 2 or 3 up but f**k it. 3 pts is 3 pts.

Have been very very impressive since Conte switched to the back three.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    That's a huge win. Massive. While Man City and Arsenal arguably have higher performance ceilings than Chelsea, this Chelsea side is do beautifully balanced and so powerful that it is steamrolling it's way to what wouod be the most impressive league win in the club's history. In Diego Costa the club has a supreme, physical force up fron. Costa is the on-pitch manifestation of all that Conte has brought to the club. I read somewhere this week that Chelsea will win the league because the players look like they would run through brick walls for it, none exemplify this more than Costa. Right now he is peerless and his fight is bringing Chelsea ever closer to this title.

Chelsea
    Have been very very impressive since Conte switched to the back three.

Its Jose 05-06 clinical but were a better attacking side than that side but when we go 1 up, it does look like we'll be able to see a game out.

11 wins and 9 clean sheets.

Chelsea
    If we had 11 Azpilicuetas we'd never lose a game. :o

Its Jose 05-06 clinical but were a better attacking side than that side but when we go 1 up, it does look like we'll be able to see a game out.

11 wins and 9 clean sheets.

You actually remind me a little of a mix between that Jose team with a mix of a Benitiz team.

Well marshaled at the back and very calm and composed dealing with pressure to that back unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea

Top defender in the Ff as well.. another assist and clean sheet. Thanks Dave :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

But how many would Chelsea actually win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Terrible miss for Hull don't think they will get an easier chance

Oh lovely save by Randolph now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Don't see Liverpool or Arsenal having the consistency to challenge, it's starting to look like a procession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Good lad vardy, you've xmas off now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

retalivity wrote: »
    Good lad vardy, you've xmas off now
    They'll win an appeal, was never red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Same ref only booked Rojo midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Definitely red, dives in with both feet up, ref very inconsistent though considering midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't see Liverpool or Arsenal having the consistency to challenge, it's starting to look like a procession.

Chelsea will have a dip eventually. Other sides have to stay close enough to take advantage though. They are building a nice cushion for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ShaneU wrote: »
    They'll win an appeal, was never red.
    Looks blatant enough to me.

Garth Crooks agrees with you -
    Craig Pawson has fundamentally misunderstood what has gone on.

Vardy left the ground with two feet but he has done that in order to get to the ball.

He won the ball and Diouf gets out of the way. Vardy makes no contact. He has been anything but reckless.

Garth Crooks, however, has fundamentally misunderstood what's a reckless tackle. Two feet, off the ground, it's textbook reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Only the one straight red and 5 yellow's for Leicester in that half.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    G'wan leicester, 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Had a fiver on 4 home wins for the 3pm kick offs, Stoke are now firmly atop my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Had a fiver on 4 home wins for the 3pm kick offs, Stoke are now firmly atop my list.

If it helps West Ham didn't even deserve to draw today.
    Admire Chelsea's ability to beat the rubbish in the league without a fuss. Keeping clean sheets is key whereas Liverpool, City & Arsenal seem to love giving the opposition chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That's a really important win for Sunderland, especially with Boro being the only team down there to win today.

We lived on the edge for the first half an hour but towards the end of the first half and for the vast majority of the second half we played okay. Pickford kept us in it in the first half and won't be at the club come the start of next season. Anichebe is making all the difference. He always pulls wide onto the full back where can use his physicality better than he can against CB's. My man of the match today however was Djilobodji who has really improved over the last few weeks.

It's still a mammoth task to stay up this season, especially when we won't have two pennies to rub together in January, but if you'd told me a couple of months ago that we'd be 1 point from safety after 17 games I'd have snapped your hand off.

Away to Burnley on New Year's Eve is the next big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Paully D wrote: »
    That's a really important win for Sunderland, especially with Boro being the only team down there to win today.

We lived on the edge for the first half an hour but towards the end of the first half and for the vast majority of the second half we played okay. Pickford kept us in it in the first half and won't be at the club come the start of next season. Anichebe is making all the difference. He always pulls wide onto the full back where can use his physicality better than he can against CB's. My man of the match today however was Djilobodji who has really improved over the last few weeks.

It's still a mammoth task to stay up this season, especially when we won't have two pennies to rub together in January, but if you'd told me a couple of months ago that we'd be 1 point from safety after 17 games I'd have snapped your hand off.

Away to Burnley on New Year's Eve is the next big one.

What's your opinion on moyes at this stage, good job/bad job

• Chelsea
    Ibra and Costa best strikers in the league currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tottenham
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ibra and Costa best strikers in the league currently

Sanchez has to be included with them two as well.

• Chelsea
    Sanchez has to be included with them two as well.

I agree totally

• Chelsea
    What's funny is that shearer gave neville stick for suggesting that zlatan is a world class player
    Shearer you are talking out of your arse
    He most certainly is

48 for the year, only Ronaldo and Messi have more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What's funny is that shearer gave neville stick for suggesting that zlatan is not a world class player
    Shearer you are talking out of your arse
    He most certainly is

Well none of the forwards in the Premier League are at the level of Lewandowski, Messi, Ronaldo or Suarez (if you don't put Aubemayang or Higuain ahead of any of them too). If they were they would show it consistently when they play the best sides in Europe.

• Chelsea
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Well none of the forwards in the Premier League are at the level of Lewandowski, Messi, Ronaldo or Suarez (if you don't put Aubemayang or Higuain ahead of any of them too). If they were they would show it consistently when they play the best sides in Europe.

?

Costa, Ibra, Ageuro, Sanchez,

That's 4 off the top of my head

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement