Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ?

Costa, Ibra, Ageuro, Sanchez,

That's 4 off the top of my head

Being the 6th best at anything is not world class though.
    As bad a pundit as Shearer & he is quite bad, he knows more about being a striker than Phil Neville

• Chelsea
    ERG89 wrote: »
    As bad a pundit as Shearer & he is quite bad, he knows more about being a striker than Phil Neville

Where you getting 6th from?
    And who says it's not the criteria for world class?
    48 goals only 2 off Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Have you a dictionary definition of "world class" that we're not privy to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ibra is definitely world class. I had my doubts about him coming to the Premier League but like all world class strikers he scores goals no matter where he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Johner wrote: »
    Ibra is definitely world class. I had my doubts about him coming to the Premier League but like all world class strikers he scores goals no matter where he goes.

Me too and I'm a Utd fan. Had my doubts but I love the guy now.

Have you a dictionary definition of "world class" that we're not privy to?

Well the dictionary definition is: (of a person, thing, or activity) of or among the best in the world.
    I imagine you have to be the best or high up the list of the best then.
    It's obvious none of the strikers in the premier league are at present, especially scoring against such awful defences even if the goalies are quite good tbf.

• Chelsea
    Well the dictionary definition is: (of a person, thing, or activity) of or among the best in the world.
    I imagine you have to be the best or high up the list of the best then.
    It's obvious none of the strikers in the premier league are at present, especially scoring against such awful defences even if the goalies are quite good tbf.
    Lol the cannon fodder in the Spanish league are no better in defence
    Your argument is so flawed

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lol the cannon fodder in the Spanish league are no better in defence
    Your argument is so flawed

Zlatan, Costa, Aguero and Sanchez all played in La Liga too, but none score abnormal amounts there.....despite all being world class against the numerous cannon fodder sides.
    Are Vardy and Kane world class in this estimation too? Maybe then there is around 20 or 30 world class forwards in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

There were 17 more goals scored in La Liga last season than in the premier league.

If it's so easy to score goals there (as has been suggested) why is the scoring rate not much higher than the other leagues in europe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There were 17 more goals scored in La Liga last season than in the premier league.

Is it's so easy to score goals there why are there no many more goals scored compared to the other leagues in Europe?
    It's easy for the top teams, obviously the cannon fodder don't score many against each other.

• Advertisement

It's easy for the top teams, obviously the cannon fodder don't score many against each other.

Because they are so unbelievably good.It was easy for Usain Bolt to win all those Olympic medals as well.

If you take out the 2 obvious outliers who are so good they would batter opposition from any league, and therefore no point including them in the discussion.

Atletico Madrid who finshed 3rd last season scored 63 goals.Spurs who finshed third scored 70 goals.

Villareal finished 4th and they scored 44 goals.Man City scored 71

Athletic Bilbao scored 58.Man Utd scored 49

Celta scored 51.Southampton Scored 59.

Sevilla scored 51.West Ham scored 65.

Those other teams in la liga are pretty decent and yet don't seem to be able to rack up big goal tallies.

^^There are many ways of interpreting the stats but another thing to consider is the physical toll of higher-intensity Prem matches. Ronaldo/Messi may well have scored 40/50 goals for one or 2 seasons but not over their entire career. Look at a bull like Rooney already burnt out at 31.

^^There are many ways of interpreting the stats but another thing to consider is the physical toll of higher-intensity Prem matches. Ronaldo/Messi may well have scored 40/50 goals for one or 2 seasons but not over their entire career. Look at a bull like Rooney already burnt out at 31.

Rooney is burnt out because it's been fairly obvious that he doesn't look after himself properly.

Messi walks around the field for a large part of the games these days and only runs when he has to, the apparent higher intensity (although I think the word has lost all meaning in sport it gets used so often) would make zero difference to him.

RMessi walks around the field for a large part of the games these days and only runs when he has to
    Well that's the definition of a pub league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He also strolls around against Manchester City and scores a hat trick in the process, another pub league obviously

He does it because he's so good if he were to take out a armchair sit down and read a newspaper in the middle of the field he'd still have a couple of players keeping a close eye on him.

Most players have to look like there going to do something positive in order to attract attention and therefore help their team out Messi attracts attention just by being on the field.

He also strolls around against Manchester City and scores a hat trick in the process, another pub league obviously
    Even Vardy bagged a hat trick against that mob

Even Vardy bagged a hat trick against that mob

Even Vardy was able to score 24 goals in the premier league so it mustn't be that difficult to score goals in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Rooney might want to get rid of that beard, if he wants to dispell the notion that he's still in prime physical shape. Gives him the look of a fifty year trawler man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Arsenal win based on the lineups but it is arsenal after all.

City just don't do defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Easy peasy, shocking by city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Sanchez made that pass look so easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Bravo so slow off his line and dives the wrong way..

At least make it difficult for him

This is already a cracker.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Sitter!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

astradave wrote: »
    Sitter!!!

One eye on the keeper maybe, the ball in was perfect, he should have scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Leicester
    Sterling back to his usually self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That's pure Raheem Sterling. A fantastic player, but so consistent in missing sitters. He's always been like that, yet he'll probably turn this around in terms of scoring from an impossible angle.

In short, he's a little bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Sane with a goal great on the eye from Silva too some magic in his boots making it look easy

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Deli alli he scores when he likes 1-1 dam stream lag lol

Manchester United
    Danny rose. 2-1 spuds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    G.Nev team of the season so far

Courtois
    Azp, Luiz, Van Djik, Rose
    Lallana, Kante, Fernandinho, Hazard
    Costa, Ibra

Carraghers team of the season so far

Pickford
    Azp, Luiz, Van Djik, Bertrand
    De Bruyne, Kante, Lallana, Hazard
    Costa, Sanchez

Nevilles best player: Costa
    Best manager: Conte
    Best newcomer: Luiz
    One to watch: Sane

Carraghers best player: Costa
    Best manager: Conte
    Best newcomer: Puel
    One to watch: Pogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Kante had a pretty slow start to Chelsea but really showing again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    No Sanchez in Neville's team of the season so far!

Klopp was right, he can't judge a player.

I think it's a pretty reasonable argument for Ibras inclusion.

Chelsea
    Sanchez or Ibra is a tough one alright.

You could put Sanchez in a wide role and drop Lallana too but Sanchez has played CF more often than not for Arsenal this year.

I think Bertrand though is very subjective, Pickford too, good players but it looks like theyre trying to shoe horn in English players for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GavRedKing wrote: »

You could put Sanchez in a wide role and drop Lallana too but Sanchez has played CF more often than not for Arsenal this year.

I think Bertrand though is very subjective, Pickford too, good players but it looks like theyre trying to shoe horn in English players for the sake of it.

Neville really had no choice but to have Ibra in the team. Had to have at least one Man U player included.

From my perspective I can objectively see that Sanchez has been by far the better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sanchez has to be in the team. I'd have heaton in goal aswell.

Chelsea
    greendom wrote: »
    Neville really had no choice but to have Ibra in the team. Had to have at least one Man U player included.

From my perspective I can objectively see that Sanchez has been by far the better player.

I'd agree with ya, I'd pick Sanchez over Ibra but thats at a push, picking between either is very difficult.

Both have had fantastic seasons, especailly Ibra, coming from France at 35 too, his goals have pushed Utd into a position where they can challenge for the top 4 and maybe more if they go on a run.

Take his 11 goals out and Utd look very toothless, Arsenalhave Sanchez and Walcott chipping in with goals, same with Costa and Hazard.

Walcott and Hazard have 8 goals, Mata Pogba and Rashford, Utds next best scorers have 3 each.

These teams are always picked as a 4-4-2 but in reality, none of the top 6 deploy a 4-4-2.

If it was a 4-2-3-1 I'd have Sanchez on the wing at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It'd be very harsh to drop Lalana seen as he has six goals and six assists from the middle of the park.

• Advertisement

Christmas fixture list has fallen kindest to Chelsea and hardest on Southampton

Take a look at @raymondverheije's Tweet:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    Jayop wrote: »
    I think it's a pretty reasonable argument for Ibras inclusion.

Over the course of the three months, I don't believe that Ibra has reached the same level as Sanchez.

better version of that earlier post

C0ES5XLUAAAQBtF.jpg

pretty tough on Liverpool and very harsh on Southampton. Chelsea have managed to get off lightly in comparison

Chelsea

C0ES5XLUAAAQBtF.jpg

pretty tough on Liverpool and very harsh on Southampton. Chelsea have managed to get off lightly in comparison

2 home games and an away trip to North London.

The perfect christmas fixture list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham

I would consider the fixtures themselves though. Stoke and Sunderland are gimmes by PL standards for Liverpool. Klopp can rest key players in both of those games in preparation for the Man City game. Very hard to see them getting anything less than six points from those games. Man City at Anfield is a tough game but the home advantage should result in them getting maximum points from that game. I think Man City are there for the taking on the road. Different story if the game was in Manchester.

Chelsea's fixture away to Spurs is a far more difficult game. No travel but it's a London derby away against a very good side. If they manage to get three points from it and win their next two games, it'll be very, very hard to see beyond them for the league and they'll deserve to win it, also.

Berserker wrote: »
    I would consider the fixtures themselves though. Stoke and Sunderland are gimmes by PL standards for Liverpool. Klopp can rest key players in both of those games in preparation for the Man City game. Very hard to see them getting anything less than six points from those games. Man City at Anfield is a tough game but the home advantage should result in them getting maximum points from that game. I think Man City are there for the taking on the road. Different story if the game was in Manchester.

Chelsea's fixture away to Spurs is a far more difficult game. No travel but it's a London derby away against a very good side. If they manage to get three points from it and win their next two games, it'll be very, very hard to see beyond them for the league and they'll deserve to win it, also.

yes agreed there are other variables to consider. Chelsea have a day extra to recover than Spurs who also had less time to recover from the previous game.

Chelsea
    These fixtures have been known for sometime now, I'd at least 6 weeks at this stage, I remember Klopp moaning about the fixtures. The fixtures themselves were knowing well before a ball was kicked too, so clubs would know how difficult the Xmas was going to be by looking at their opponents and if they were home or away.

Its very rare for a club to have any decent time off between games unless you get really lucky with the TV fixtures, which is what happened for Chelsea.

Chelsea
    I also doubt anyone accurately predicted Chelsea to be top in such fashion.

Chelsea
    astradave wrote: »
    I also doubt anyone accurately predicted Chelsea to be top in such fashion.

The fixtures are unfair no matter whos on top or whos in 10th, thats just they way the fell for some teams.

• Advertisement

These fixtures have been known for sometime now, I'd at least 6 weeks at this stage, I remember Klopp moaning about the fixtures. The fixtures themselves were knowing well before a ball was kicked too, so clubs would know how difficult the Xmas was going to be by looking at their opponents and if they were home or away.

Its very rare for a club to have any decent time off between games unless you get really lucky with the TV fixtures, which is what happened for Chelsea.

Moaning ? Really ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement