Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Think footballers have it bad now?
    Have a look at this in 1957 they played on Xmas day and then the reverse fixture the next day.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/811281202242002944

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Have a look at this in 1957 they played on Xmas day and then the reverse fixture the next day.

Sunderland really have been down there in a relegation dogfight for a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tottenham
    Them two matches in two days were crazy though. Look at the ridiculousness of some of the results. Chelsea 7-4 followed by a 3-0 reverse the next day. Blackpool 5-1 Leicester followed by a 2-1 win for Leicester the next day. Other results went similar ways too. Obviously it took it out of the players playing back to back like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Them two matches in two days were crazy though. Look at the ridiculousness of some of the results. Chelsea 7-4 followed by a 3-0 reverse the next day. Blackpool 5-1 Leicester followed by a 2-1 win for Leicester the next day. Other results went similar ways too. Obviously it took it out of the players playing back to back like that.

There's no question that the players could physically play 2 games in 2 days if required. No question either though that performance would be affected and injuries more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    Moaning ? Really ?

Ya, sounds like moaning to me :
    “I don't know why we play Monday. Is January 2 a special day in England?" asked Klopp. “Forty-eight hours between two games - how does this work? And then you will sit there and say: 'You didn't perform too well, how did this happen?' or "injuries. Oh?" and then this Dutch guy says 'the training is not too good'.

“How do you prepare a team for this. Do you say only 50 per cent against City because we have Sunderland on Monday? It doesn't sound like it is right. Everyone is asking why England is not too successful in big tournaments.

Full qoute here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/14/jurgen-klopp-hits-out-at-liverpools-festive-schedule-and-aims-di/

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »

Yeah that's not moaning. Moaning is when you cry/complain about something that's not really important.

Klopp has spoken about understanding and accepting English traditions and getting on with it. He's not one for moaning. He's s pragmatist.

Chelsea
    Yeah that's not moaning. Moaning is when you cry/complain about something that's not really important.

Klopp has spoken about understanding and accepting English traditions and getting on with it. He's not one for moaning. He's s pragmatist.

Hes moaning about the the fixtures which is pretty trivial because they were picked for TV for those fixtures. Unfortunately it effects every team around Xmas.

I'd be pi**ed too though, the turn around from the games is very unreasonable but thats what happens when BT and Sky are picking TV slots.

It would be fairer to have everyone play on the 26th then again on the 31st and then again on the 3rd or 4th with the FA cup games on the weekend of the 7th/8th but unfortunately it doesnt work like that, it should but it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United

To be fair to Klopp his assessment f the Christmas fixture list is spot on.

Chelsea
    To be fair to Klopp his assessment f the Christmas fixture list is spot on.

Oh it is but theres no point moaning about it, every team goes through it every year. Luck of the draw with the TV scheduling has given some teams more days off than others and as I've pointed out above, theres a solution there if the league wanted it but the EPL is run by the TV companies and what matches the cherry pick.

They know during the festive season if they've a match on nearly every day they'll get viewers, whether its Utd v Pool or Hull v Burnely, theres feck all else on so people will watch it.

Ideally there would be a winter break but that would probably mean scrapping the League cup and playing league fixtures where those games used to occur, so the alternative for me, would to have teams playing either all the one day or alternate days.

Like 26th/27th then 30th/31st and then 3rd/4th.

Theres enough scope to split it out to have 5 games a day and broadcast 2 or 3 of them and still give teams a bit of a break compared to 40 hours between games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hes moaning about the the fixtures which is pretty trivial because they were picked for TV for those fixtures. Unfortunately it effects every team around Xmas.

But the Sunderland game is not on tv. So it's strange that they aren't allowing it to move back even just a couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Tottenham

Certainly does put things in perspective. When football purists and managers and analysts point out that less than 48 hrs is not enough for players to recover fully, what they overlook is that most of the English football-watching public don't give a fiddlers if the footballers are at 100% or 90% or even 80%, they just want to watch some seasonal football and they want to be entertained.

They pay good money for tickets or TV subscriptions, they have been going to watch their team play over Xmas all their lives, and the footballers are paid obscenely well in compensation. So just let them get on with it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i agree with klopp about the fixtures over christmas they make no real sense but its like this in england every year and theirs not much point in complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

garra wrote: »
    Certainly does put things in perspective. When football purists and managers and analysts point out that less than 48 hrs is not enough for players to recover fully, what they overlook is that most of the English football-watching public don't give a fiddlers if the footballers are at 100% or 90% or even 80%, they just want to watch some seasonal football and they want to be entertained.

They pay good money for tickets or TV subscriptions, they have been going to watch their team play over Xmas all their lives, and the footballers are paid obscenely well in compensation. So just let them get on with it imo.

Can't say I agree with that. The risk of injury is much higher and what the players can produce will be lower than normal. It also favours the bigger teams with bigger squads. I think there is no way a team should play 2 games in 48 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Pardew sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    Pardew sacked.

Big Sam will take over there and turn them round, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Chelsea
    Pardew sacked.

Favourite to be the next England manager and talking about Palace playing in Europe this time last year! Cup run saved him over the summer I reckon, had a terrible 2016 overall.

I'd be pi**ed too though, the turn around from the games is very unreasonable but thats what happens when BT and Sky are picking TV slots.

It would be fairer to have everyone play on the 26th then again on the 31st and then again on the 3rd or 4th with the FA cup games on the weekend of the 7th/8th but unfortunately it doesnt work like that, it should but it doesnt.

Regardless if you are agreeing with him or being pîssed yourself, you're misrepresenting him by saying he was 'moaning'.

If you just read the headline or first paragraph you might think that. The reality is he was talking about his surprise (my take on what you call moaning) on the time between games being allowed to be so short. He spoke positively about the fixtures in general.

I'm being pedantic and boring but only because I was reading the internet and somebody said Klopp 'moaning' and I took umbrage with it because it's one of the reasons I like him so much.

He's good at calling something for what it is, accepting it and moving on. I find it very refreshing from the sound bite tripe or the bitter tripe from most managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boxing Day footie! w00t!

Watford v Crystal Palace 12.30
    Arsenal v West Brom
    Burnley v Middlesbrough
    Chelsea v Bournemouth
    Leicester v Everton
    Man Utd v Sunderland
    Swansea v West Ham
    Hull v Man City 17.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    I got great enjoyment out of Palace losing just seeing Pardew's reactions and interviews but I really didn't care if they stayed up or went down now Big Sam is in charge I'd love to see them go down.

Tottenham
    I got great enjoyment out of Palace losing just seeing Pardew's reactions and interviews but I really care if they stayed up or went down now Big Sam is in charge I'd love to see them go down.

The media are loving the fact that he is back in football. It'd be great if they went down but I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement

I got great enjoyment out of Palace losing just seeing Pardew's reactions and interviews but I really didn't care if they stayed up or went down now Big Sam is in charge I'd love to see them go down.

Hull, Swansea & Sunderland are incredibly bad so it'll be hard for any side to be as bad as them even though Palace, Burnley, West Ham & Middlesbrough have all been unconvincing. The likes of Stoke, Bournemouth, Leicester and Watford should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is but the league seems weaker this year than in the last few seasons. More genuinely terrible teams than previously. While it used to be 2/3 teams at the top then a large gap to the rest and a steady decline from there, that gap seemed to close over the last 5 or so years. More mid table and lower teams could properly push the big teams.
    Seems to me to be slipping back to a two or three tier league, the difference this time is the top tier has 6 teams as opposed to a couple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Weaker? It's stronger. Look at the top 6/7 would you rule any one of them out of the top 4 right now?

Leicester
    Stone wall pen

Awful pen easy save.

Keeper still on the pitch or no card Big Sam post match interview will be interesting if Palace lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Pathetic pen from Benteke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Weaker? It's stronger. Look at the top 6/7 would you rule any one of them out of the top 4 right now?

The league is more than 6 teams

Hull are one of the worst teams to play in the league in many years
    Sunderland have gone backwards
    So have Swansea massively
    So have Palace
    Middlesbrough and Burnley are weaker than a Newcastle or Norwich were if only comparing to last year
    West Ham have gone backwards
    Watford have gone backwards
    Stoke are very hit or miss
    Leicester backwards.

Chelsea, United and Liverpool and Everton a little bit are the 4 who have made strides

As I said the top 6 is more competitive but below that the league seems to be going back to the days where the big boys totally dominate poor lower teams.

Last year I think only Leicester averaged more than two points s game. Usually 2 or 3 do. This year there are 5 I think and United look to have their act together now too. A gap is opening again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Stone wall pen

Awful pen easy save.

Keeper still on the pitch or no card Big Sam post match interview will be interesting if Palace lose.

New rules now,probably not seen as a clear scoring chance but it was a pen.Rules are a yellow and a pen for clear scoring chance,red cards are dependent on severity of the foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Benteke with a hopeless first half display. He can be really sh*t.

Leicester
    zerks wrote: »
    New rules now,probably not seen as a clear scoring chance but it was a pen.Rules are a yellow and a pen for clear scoring chance,red cards are dependent on severity of the foul.

I know the new rule..He didn't even get a yellow was what I meant by card.

It could also have quiet easily been a straight red for the kick at Benteke.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    I know the new rule..He didn't even get a yellow was what I meant by card.

It could also have quiet easily been a straight red for the kick at Benteke.

If it was in the middle of the pitch it mightn't have been a card, so no reason to give it as a card in the box. It certainly wasn't red as the player was going well away from goal there. Awful penalty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Clattenburg is a joke, very soft pen against Palace there, and a free to palace then for Zaha falling over.
    He always have to be the centre of attention, with his lovely hair :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Is their any matches on the tv at 3pm?

Manchester United
    That goal is tremendous, Pedro is having a brilliant season in this inside forward position and Conte's Chelsea ars formidable.

Manchester United
    So many players in this Chelsea side both capable and willing to nreak lines with their passing. Matic and Fabregas have played some stunning passes.

Another huge positive of the move to 3 at the back has been Azpilicueta's move to centre back. He's in a more important position and he's more central to Chelsea's play than ever. He's a wonderfully intelligent, adaptable and talented player.

So many players in this Chelsea side both capable and willing to nreak lines with their passing. Matic and Fabregas have played some stunning passes.

Another huge positive of the move to 3 at the back has been Azpilicueta's move to centre back. He's in a more important position and he's more central to Chelsea's play than ever. He's a wonderfully intelligent, adaptable and talented player.

He is the best defender in the league.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    He is the best defender in the league.

I wouldn't disagree.

Manchester United
    Brilliant Hazard! Brilliant Chelsea! Brilliant Conte. To make it sweeter than penalty happens cos Wilshire messed up a counter attack with a misplaced pass.

Manchester United
    Hazard has been so good again today. My shout for Premier League player of the year so far

Manchester United
    Big save Courtois.

Tottenham
    Swansea next to sack their manager? 0-3 at home to West Ham today. Arsenal look like slipping up today. Haven't got what it takes to break down a dogged West Brom, so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I really think Leicester could go down. And deservedly so the way they have approached the league this season. Plenty capable but no drive at all.

Zlatan. Striker.

Tottenham
    Berserker wrote: »
    Arsenal look like slipping up today. Haven't got what it takes to break down a dogged West Brom, so far.

Scratch that. 1-0 but having to battle hard here.

Manchester United
    Goal Pedro. 3-0. This is certainly the best team in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Jammy goal but he deserved another one today, outstanding performance from him and Hazard.

Bournemouth are quite good alright.

That goal is tremendous, Pedro is having a brilliant season in this inside forward position and Conte's Chelsea ars formidable.
    Brilliant Hazard! Brilliant Chelsea! Brilliant Conte. To make it sweeter than penalty happens cos Wilshire messed up a counter attack with a misplaced pass.
    Big save Courtois.

The tone of your posts always reminds me of Flashscore live updates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Manchester United

Ray Hudson :D

Manchester United

This whole journey has been one prolonged audition for that role.

Huge 3 pts for Burnley. Their home form has been incredible so far as they are quite a limited set of players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement