Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Ray Hudson :D

Ha, brilliant!!! An amazing, unbelievable, unprecedented comparison between the magician of spoken word Ray Hudson and his apprentice A.I.G.

In fairness, Flashscore commentary always makes me laugh! So not a "big" insult!!

http://https://twitter.com/search?vertical=default&q=flashscore%20commentary&src=typd

My all time favourite!

Cr_72dBW8AAvOE5.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's such a pity West Brom didn't hang on. Nothing against Arsenal I just wanted to enjoy to complete meltdown that would have occurred on their fans thread here.

I really think Leicester could go down. And deservedly so the way they have approached the league this season. Plenty capable but no drive at all.

In most other years I'd think so as well, but Hull,Swansea and Sunderland are so incredibly bad that they should be ok.

In most other years I'd think so as well, but Hull,Swansea and Sunderland are so incredibly bad that they should be ok.

True, but at 14/1, they are a good bet. The last two and a half years with Leicester have just been bizarre. I genuinely haven't a clue what will happen to them next.
    The public are slowly falling out of admiration of them also.

True, but at 14/1, they are a good bet. The last two and a half years with Leicester have just been bizarre. I genuinely haven't a clue what will happen to them next.
    The public are slowly falling out of admiration of them also.

I think people are beginning to work out that last year was a total fluke whereas there was a suspension of disbelief for a while and people were willing to believe that they are actually were a very good team . Last year was a combination of mediocre team who's players all had the single greatest year of their lives at the one time combined with a very poor quality league at the top last year.Even if they replicated their performance of last year in pretty much every other year they would barely have finished in the top 4.

They were emboldened by the mediocrity around them and fair play to them.Spurs and Arsenal must be sick looking at how they threw it away last year.

The league at the top end this year is so much better than last year.All of the current top 6 better this year than they were last year.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    It's such a pity West Brom didn't hang on. Nothing against Arsenal I just wanted to enjoy to complete meltdown that would have occurred on their fans thread here.

Nothing against Arsenal? I wanted them to not win because they are competing with us this season, any fan meltdown would be a bonus. I'd prefer them to win the league ahead of Utd, given the choice, and maybe Spurs, but that's it of the rest of the top 6, not that I like Chelsea or City either mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Its game on here at the KCOM stadium. Pep has marshalled a challenge to his men to break the world record for most sideways passes in the first half in a game of football. Dazzling their opponents into cross-eyed submission they must be close.

5starpool wrote: »
    Nothing against Arsenal? I wanted them to not win because they are competing with us this season, any fan meltdown would be a bonus. I'd prefer them to win the league ahead of Utd, given the choice, and maybe Spurs, but that's it of the rest of the top 6, not that I like Chelsea or City either mind.

I've nothing against them just would have been a laugh to read the fan meltdown.I'd quite like them to win the league to be honest but they don't have the balls to do it currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Jaysus City are god awful even with the messiah as manager.

I guess nothing £2/300m won't fix in the transfer window a lot easier than coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The parts I was awake during the first half of Hull vs Man City were absolutely dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    Toobz wrote: »
    Its game on here at the KCOM stadium. Pep has marshalled a challenge to his men to break the world record for most sideways passes in the first half in a game of football. Dazzling their opponents into cross-eyed submission they must be close.

I'd say last 10 minutes they broke the lines a few times, City look most threatening when Sterling is making runs off the ball on the outside shoulders of the centre backs. Silva also started to find room in the half space. I will say though that this City team can be a bit one paced at times, Sterling aside I'm not sure they have a player on the pitch capable of creating "chaos" in the sense that Guardiola used that word to describe Robben, Coeman, Douglas Costa, Ribery.

I think people are beginning to work out that last year was a total fluke whereas there was a suspension of disbelief for a while and people were willing to believe that they are actually were a very good team . Last year was a combination of mediocre team who's players all had the single greatest year of their lives at the one time combined with a very poor quality league at the top last year.Even if they replicated their performance of last year in pretty much every other year they would barely have finished in the top 4.

They were emboldened by the mediocrity around them and fair play to them.Spurs and Arsenal must be sick looking at how they threw it away last year.

The league at the top end this year is so much better than last year.All of the current top 6 better this year than they were last year.

They played to their strengths and got absolutely every facet of their tactical game right so in that way they were very very good last year. If a lot of other teams had played to their strengths/capabilities they would have finished ahead of Leicester.
    They went into a bubble and built up a momentum and went out to win games.
    Their luck with injuries, suspensions etc was rather unprecedented as was the lack of unlucky decisions that went against them.

They also got pizza.

Jaysus City are god awful even with the messiah as manager.

I guess nothing £2/300m won't fix in the transfer window a lot easier than coaching.

I am getting the impression Conte is the new Messiah to some......... I will say no more!! :D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    I've nothing against them just would have been a laugh to read the fan meltdown.I'd quite like them to win the league to be honest but they don't have the balls to do it currently.

Sorry, for some reason I thought I was posting in the LFC superthread. Christmas is getting to me I guess. My comment makes more sense if read in the other context.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    Watching MCFC here and Liverpool will beat these at Anfield. Chelsea's game against Spurs is a far tougher task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hull doing very well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chelsea
    Only a matter of time before City get the goal and the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Penalty to City, Man City

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chelsea
    Penalty and win here for City.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Chaos. You need chaos.

Stupid challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Jeez, Yaya would take your head clean off with that

Manchester United
    That attack is devastatingly choreography and executed. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Superb by De bruyne there

Manchester United
    Well that goal was great, as Pepball as it possibly gets.

It's a real shame we didn't see Zlatan in the Premier League before now.

• Chelsea
    Johner wrote: »

Straight battle now for top goalscorer
    Ibra V Costa

Johner wrote: »

In fairness the other leagues he played in were easily available on TV as well. That's the great thing about the TV coverage these days you don't have to miss out on seeing any of the great players.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Straight battle now for top goalscorer
    Ibra V Costa

I'd say Aguero will catch up with them and and be in the top scorer race.He's only 3 goals behind Costa and has played less games than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I'd say Aguero will catch up with them and and be in the top scorer race.He's only 3 goals behind Costa and has played less games than him.
    Agreed. He's missed 7 games through his own stupidity yet, as you say, he's only 3 behind Costa who's being lauded as having an outstanding season. Impossible at the moment to predict who'll come out on top. They're three outstanding strikers.

Leicester
    Bob Bradley sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    Bob Bradley sacked.

Yeah, no surprise. Wonder who they'll bring in. Anyone else think we could see Harry back? I know that Hodgson was under consideration for the Palace job. Might be another candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Berserker wrote: »
    Yeah, no surprise. Wonder who they'll bring in. Anyone else think we could see Harry back? I know that Hodgson was under consideration for the Palace job. Might be another candidate.

It'll probably be Giggs

Leicester
    Giggs isn't stupid enough to takeover a team that is going to be relegation battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Just seen this tweet by Ogden..

https://twitter.com/MarkOgden_/status/813826144105562117

Experienced names? Pardew & Woy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What did Swansea expect a manager to do with another guys squad and no transfer window? He was a left field choice anyway but I feel sorry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What the **** was the point of that? Swansea really are in danger of becoming utterly inconsequential. I hear the Leeds manager is quite good...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Liverpool
    It was wrong appointment in the 1st place they must be sickened they missed out on Big Sam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

astradave wrote: »
    Just seen this tweet by Ogden..

https://twitter.com/MarkOgden_/status/813826144105562117

Experienced names? Pardew & Woy?
    Following Andy Tate's advice for the next appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

blueser wrote: »
    Agreed. He's missed 7 games through his own stupidity yet, as you say, he's only 3 behind Costa who's being lauded as having an outstanding season. Impossible at the moment to predict who'll come out on top. They're three outstanding strikers.
    Sanchez shouldn't be discounted either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A year ago Leicester City were two points clear on 38 points from 18 games. This season that would be enough for fourth place.

"A year ago Leicester City were two points clear on 38 points from 18 games. This season that would be enough for fourth place."

8eb127c5dde7293fe3c2975d104dc89f.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea have certainly improved!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Chelsea
    "A year ago Leicester City were two points clear on 38 points from 18 games. This season that would be enough for fourth place."

8eb127c5dde7293fe3c2975d104dc89f.png

17 games?

• Advertisement

Chelsea have certainly improved!

In fairness, they are going about their business quietly, diligently and without much controversy. Something they haven't done for years, even when they were winning leagues.

Has there been any manager who has been so effective so quickly in the Premier League? (I mean for a top club) It would be interesting to compare how the top managers over the years hit the ground running after starting at a club.

I see Lampard reckons he may have a chance to edge back into the squad now that he is finished up state side! :D:D

Hard to know what they will do in the transfer market? They have been lucky, injury wise so they probably have to speculate that they may need backup if they do suffer a few injury setbacks in the New Year. Plenty of funds available also after Oscar's ludricuous transfer fee

17 games?

find me one with 18 games. That was the closest one I can find. I don't think it drastically changed after the next round of games last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

no! that might mean no more brad bobley sketches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Heard a stat that in his last 36 competitive games Conte has lost only 4 in 90 minutes. Arsenal, Liverpool, West Ham and Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't see Giggs getting it. Americans take "Character Issues" very serious. And Ryan Giggs certainly has character issues.

A big issue with the last time he went for the Swansea job was that he interviewed badly. He hasn't impressed with his TV work and he seems a little basic. Either he underwhelmed on his ideas for the team or didn't take questions about his character well. I reckon his bridge is burned.

People need to look at it from the owners point of view. Is there a sizable chance that Ryan Giggs's off the field activities arise during a busy part of the season? You can't help but think yes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement