Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I can't see Giggs getting it. Americans take "Character Issues" very serious. And Ryan Giggs certainly has character issues.

A big issue with the last time he went for the Swansea job was that he interviewed badly. He hasn't impressed with his TV work and he seems a little basic. Either he underwhelmed on his ideas for the team or didn't take questions about his character well. I reckon his bridge is burned.

People need to look at it from the owners point of view. Is there a sizable chance that Ryan Giggs's off the field activities arise during a busy part of the season? You can't help but think yes.

Nah.He only has one brother and that itch has been scratched now so they should be safe enough now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I can't see Giggs getting it. Americans take "Character Issues" very serious. And Ryan Giggs certainly has character issues.

A big issue with the last time he went for the Swansea job was that he interviewed badly. He hasn't impressed with his TV work and he seems a little basic. Either he underwhelmed on his ideas for the team or didn't take questions about his character well. I reckon his bridge is burned.

People need to look at it from the owners point of view. Is there a sizable chance that Ryan Giggs's off the field activities arise during a busy part of the season? You can't help but think yes.

Glazers hired Mourinho, Palace just hired Big Sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Donald Trump is the president elect. Giggsy has a chance to get a couple of months at Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

They both have a track record in management. Giggs think he should be able to walk into a top flight management job because of his career at united.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    They both have a track record in management. Giggs think he should be able to walk into a top flight management job because of his career at united.

Nothing to do with the point of Americans and character issues. Ellis Short also hired Di Canio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I find a good way of judging whether a player will be a good manager or not is to picture them as a boss in another walk of life or even your own boss and whether you see them as someone you'd respect. You could easily see Ferguson as the chairman of a FTSE company or Klopp as the head partner in a firm of architects. But Giggs? Maybe he could have a crew of a few shopfitters or plumbers but generally he doesn't strike me as someone you'd be inspired by or take seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Big Sam did little wrong. Mourinho can be a complete tosspot at times but his non-football persona is not an issue.

Re Di Canio: pushed a ref, has some fascist beliefs which don't involve racism. Don't see the issue with him either.

Ryan Giggs is a trainwreck. A Welsh Max Branning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yeah, the whole "character concerns " assessment speculation is a load of tosh. The only reason Giggs won't get the job is if Kaplan and Levein don't think he is professionally capable for it, not because he had an affair in the past.
    Giggs is one of the most respected guys in British football (not his moral character, his footballing brain and achievements) so that is what they will assess. His ability to manage the team and get them out of the hole they are in.
    I don't think anyone really associates Giggs too much with this affair to be honest anyway. It is actually rather surprising how people and the media got over it so much. It is certainly not the first thing I would think of and nor should it be.

Big Sam did little wrong. Mourinho can be a complete tosspot at times but his non-football persona is not an issue.

Re Di Canio: pushed a ref, has some fascist beliefs which don't involve racism. Don't see the issue with him either.

Load of nonsense. Giggs is one of the best professionals in English soccer ever. He is not a good manager however.

And I doubt an owner of a club would give a flying f*ck what their employee gets up to between the sheets.

• Advertisement

Fascist beliefs: Grand
    Questionable financial and transfer dealings: Grand
    Adultery: Not so grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You are looking at it the wrong way. The question that owners have, is there a chance that this guy can cause the club massive embarrassment in the future?

According to reports, Giggs was still at it a few months ago and his wife has since left him. Maybe now that he is single, it could help him but let's not beat about the bush on his character. It's definitely a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You are looking at it the wrong way. The question that owners have, is there a chance that this guy can cause the club massive embarrassment in the future?

According to reports, Giggs was still at it a few months ago and his wife has since left him. Maybe now that he is single, it could help him but let's not beat about the bush on his character. It's definitely a factor.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

In fairness the other leagues he played in were easily available on TV as well. That's the great thing about the TV coverage these days you don't have to miss out on seeing any of the great players.

I don't mean it in that way, it would have been nice to see him tear the league up for a good few years.

Johner wrote: »
    I don't mean it in that way, it would have been nice to see him tear the league up for a good few years.

ah yeah.

You'd fancy had he been in the EPL for a few of his peak years he'd have went down as one of the leagues all time great players.

it's great he's doing this now as it shuts up all those idiots who always questioned him and said he'd never be able to do it in the EPL because he had a couple of poor games against English teams in europe.

I'd love to see him leave at the end of the season and go out on a high from top level football rather than stay past his best and have a poor season to end on which could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's all a guessing game on how someone like Giggs would be at management though. Some take to it way better than others and the ones you think would be very good can be a disaster. It's much too risky for someone like Swansea though, their defence is a shambles and needs a natural firefighter type manager.

So there is absolutely, definitively no risk of a Di Canio fascist salute or Big Sam getting himself caught up in a dodgy deal but Giggs is high risk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

From what I read, Giggs did a pretty poor interview with Swansea which is one of the main reasons why he did not get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think the Premier League has been very poor this year.

Quality has been poor & very few top quality games. Many teams play long balls & a direct style Everton,Stoke,West Ham,Crystal Palace,Sunderland,West Brom & Burnley in particular & I could mention more teams.

Not saying I want teams to play the Spanish National team but it feels like the Premier League has gone to a more direct style seen in the past after a few years of teams being influenced by Pep's Barca & trying to play a more technical style.

• Advertisement

From what I read, Giggs did a pretty poor interview with Swansea which is one of the main reasons why he did not get the job.

As others have pointed to he doesn't strike me as someone who'd be a good manager.

He would have been spoon fed by Ferguson for so long, sort of institutionalized that he's probably never had to think fully for himself or had different experiences that would help him have some sort of clear opinions of his own about the game.

If he actually really wanted to be a manager he'd have found a decent job already at the championship or lower and his lack of willingness to do that would be a major turn off for me if I was hiring a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I'd say lots of professional footballers have done adultery with no impact on their career. Giggs was with the sister in law though, a bit creepy, probably other skeletons in his closet. Swansea shouldn't go near him.

Chris Coleman would be a good shout for Swansea perhaps, would be good for Ireland as well as it might disrupt Wales. They haven't started their qualification campaign well, might suit Coleman to jump ship right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

So there is absolutely, definitively no risk of a Di Canio fascist salute or Big Sam getting himself caught up in a dodgy deal but Giggs is high risk?
    I'd say Giggs would be a massive risk for Swansea. Even ignoring his obvious poor character, he has practically no experience as a manager. A few games as caretaker manager post Moyes does not qualify him as the man to get Swansea out of the smelly stuff. Of course, he could turn out to be a great manager, but it'd be a huge gamble on Swansea's part. Are they prepared to take that gamble? They've taken one risk on Bradley, and it badly backfired. Pardew or Redknapp (who's been putting himself in the shop window this morning, I see) would be a better bet for them. Not sure about Coleman; club management is a totally different ball game to international management. And he's been out of the club scene in England for a good few years now, sacked by Coventry in 2010.

This character nonsense!!

Giggs doesn't deserve the position because he doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a good manager. (At the moment) Simple as.

If anything, it would be an American ownership that would be willing to overlook certain character flaws, as opposed to Middle Eastern, Asian or otherwise.

The fact that Giggs was on the shortlist and one of a few interviewed last time out suggests that they would be willing to cast asides doubts about peoples obsession about his affair (as morally and distasteful as it was) if they considered his management ability to help the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One last portion of the Boxing Day fixture list - Soton v Spurs should be closely fought but the home side are seriously short of firepower with just 17 goals all season.

Is it me or is it a far less congested Christmas fixture list this year?? I remember a couple of years ago where you had 4 league games in 11 or 12 days.
    Hardly much for the teams to complain about this year at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Is it me or is it a far less congested Christmas fixture list this year?? I remember a couple of years ago where you had 4 league games in 11 or 12 days.

Was thinking the same myself. I haven't enough football to watch

Chelsea
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Was thinking the same myself. I haven't enough football to watch

Ditto here is it down to the way Christmas fell this year Id suspect

There does seem to be one less fixture this year, probably owing to the fact that Stephens day fell on a Monday

2014/2015 Man Utd Christmas fixtures

20 Aston Villa A
    26 Newcastle H
    28 Tottenham Hotspur A
    January
    1 Stoke City A

2016/2017

17 Dec West Brom Albion A
    26 Dec Sunderland H
    31 Dec Middlesbrough H
    02 Jan West Ham United A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Spurs win I reckon, 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Giggs would be a dreadful appointment and just be for pure sentiment as he is Welsh. Comparisons to Zidane and Gaurdiola coaching paths are nonsense too, they coached the B teams first before they got near the first team. This guy has zero experience and IMO hasn't any managerial qualities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well that's just put van dijks price up even more

Manchester United
    Ah missed the goal.

rob316 wrote: »
    Giggs would be a dreadful appointment and just be for pure sentiment as he is Welsh. Comparisons to Zidane and Gaurdiola coaching paths are nonsense too, they coached the B teams first before they got near the first team. This guy has zero experience and IMO hasn't any managerial qualities.

Elaborate on who apportioned any comparison to Giggs's potential as a manager to Pep or even Zidane!

Manchester United
    Good open start, spurs should have scored there.

Manchester United
    Spurs having a bit of a mare at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Dirty by Vertonghen there

Manchester United
    Lovely header and leap by Alli, one all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Dele Alli is 6ft 1 looks smaller for some reason to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Orgasmic header from deli have a feeling there will be a few goals in this. Hope 3-2 to spurs

davycc wrote: »
    Orgasmic header from deli have a feeling there will be a few goals in this. Hope 3-2 to spurs

Hardly a bold prediction the way the game has gone to be fair!! 10 shots on goal in under half an hour between them! :D

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Forster can't kick it.

Manchester United
    Walker cannot cross a ball to save his life!

Vertongen might be trouble looks like he tried to gouge the Southampton striler in the face ,

You would have hoped he would have more class than to be at that level after sulkyTorres did it to him in his Chelsea days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Some header

Manchester United
    Bullet header Harry Kane

Manchester United
    Gloriously measured header by the non-existent Kane, 2-1.

Chelsea
    Some Leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

More bad defending. Romeu reacted like something was about to fly into his head.

Manchester United
    Harsh, great ball from Sissoko and a harsh red for Redmond, saints canonised.

Chelsea
    Fantastic dive to win a peno and get Redmond sent off

Wonder where thats going to land

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    More bad defending. Romeu reacted like something was about to fly into his head.

Jaysus, you would think he would have learnt from the last time!! 3 of the same errors in 3 minutes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement