Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Kane has a Beckham moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Looked like a big divot on the penalty spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

James ward prowse puts in brilliant free kicks and corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    I remember some talk on here that the red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity was gone if penalty is awarded.

Anyone want to route through the rulebook for me? Thanks

Manchester United
    Looked like a big divot on the penalty spot.

Looked like he clipped the ball with his left peg before striking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.

But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.

Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity.

Dean seen it has a deliberate foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Unearthly wrote: »
    I remember some talk on here that the red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity was gone if penalty is awarded.

Don't have the rule book handy but from what I remember, if it's a clear opportunity and the foul was deemed to be deliberate or reckless its a red card. If you make a decent attempt at the ball that is genuine then just a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    astradave wrote: »
    Fantastic dive to win a peno and get Redmond sent off

Wonder where thats going to land

Redmond rugby tackled deli had both arms around deli dragged him down . If you don't think that was a penalty kick then watch the replay a couple more times.

What part of it was a dive in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Unearthly wrote: »

"A foul on a running striker committed by the last man of the defence will no longer result in a direct red card and suspension, unless the foul is violent or consists in a hand-ball in the box. As long as the foul is judged to be an honest attempt at taking the ball, the defender will only be shown a yellow card."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    davycc wrote: »
    Redmond rugby tackled deli had both arms around deli dragged him down . If you don't think that was a penalty kick then watch the replay a couple more times.

Just because its deli alli don't assume it was a dive ffs

He didn't even dive either in fairness he kept his feet to get his shot off. Good to see a pen given as he clearly stopped him getting a decent shot away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea

Just because its deli alli don't assume it was a dive ffs

Maybe you are the one that needs to see the replay a few times

https://twitter.com/productionsWF/status/814215456953401344

Manchester United
    astradave wrote: »
    Maybe you are the one that needs to see the replay a few times

https://twitter.com/productionsWF/status/814215456953401344

I know your not his biggest fan but
    Which part of the link shows deli dive .?
    I can't see any myself

Manchester United
    Hugo is not being a boss.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Looked like he clipped the ball with his left peg before striking.

His left foot dislodged a load of turf as he balanced it to strike with his right.

https://twitter.com/mttrddn/status/814216050887761924

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Spurs are trying to walk through these last minutes. It's complacent and it's quite ridiculous.

Manchester United
    Brilliant finish Son, 3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I can't see any myself

What part of the link shows Redmond with his two arms around Ali and rubgy tackling him?

To me it looks like Redmond fell over and fell on the back of Ali leg.

Manchester United
    4-1, Alli, good run and ball by Rose.

Manchester United
    4-1 deli alli!

Chelsea
    I can't see any myself

I actually like him as a player, so i don't know where you are getting your first statement from, if you look at about 55-58 seconds on that link you can see him feigning after he knows that his shot is off target. thats my opinion on it anyways.

And he scores again :pac: good finish.

Spurs exposing the backline now

• Advertisement

Rose was brilliant there.

Manchester United
    No time for Janssen to get the 5 th

Shame about Kane loosing his footing taking the peno, should have had a brace funny 90 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mike Dean was superb for Spurs tonight. Nice show of appreciation from Dembele too.

https://twitter.com/CelebRefs/status/814226475247345665

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

If I was a Saints fan, I'd be worried at how they folded so easily in that second half. That being said, it was an extremely harsh red card, and going down to 10 men against a quality side like Spurs isn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Top 6 all win scoring 18 goals and conceding 3. There is a huge difference between them and the rest this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Top 6 all win scoring 18 goals and conceding 3. There is a huge difference between them and the rest this year.

I was going to argue against that..........but to be fair, you are right. I can see a 15 to 20 points gap at the end of the season between 6th place and 7th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Standards definitely raised at top of PL this season. This is first time that, after 18 games, the 5th-place team has 2 pts-per-game average.

Saw this on twitter earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Had Liverpool & Man City not been playing each other they'd all win again in the next round. The majority of the bottom 10 sides are awful despite them spending a lot of money and incredibly bad defensively, the league's overall standard of defending is quite bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Clement is the favourite to take over at Swansea. They really should go for Rowett, he would be a good appointment, he did a fantastic job at Burton and came in and steadied the ship at Birmingham. Would obviously be a big ask to keep Swansea up though.

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Oooops, now thats a howler from Marshal, punches the ball backwards into his own goal

Woeful keeping there. Why did he even come out for it? The nearest player was his own forward, Mbokani.

Chelsea
    Redeemed himself a bit there, cracking save especially with the deflection

blueser wrote: »
    Woeful keeping there. Why did he even come out for it? The nearest player was his own forward, Mbokani.

And he was no danger as he can't hit a barn door this season!!

And he was no danger as he can't hit a barn door this season!!
    Ouch!

Need an Everton (and Portsmouth) goal for 600 euro...... : (

• Advertisement

Fantastic goal!

Cracking free kick there by Snodgrass. Harsh to blame the keeper there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Neville blaming a keeper again..

He really doesn't like goalkeepers.

Not sure what Robles could have done there. Yes, there is the argument that once a keeper gets his hands to a shot, he should keep it out. But that was a perfect free kick, right in the top corner. I'd be looking at the midfeld who coughed up cheap possession in the lead up to the free kick.

I can't remember a worse striker than Mbokani in the premiership that has played as many games as him.

I thought Norwich did well last season and put a lot of the blame on him for their relegation.

Hull have played great on occasions this season and if they buy a non statue striker they may have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Watching the Darts,flicked over to see how the game was going,

nottingham-forest-scott-gemmill-373-merlin-s-english-premier-league-1995-football-sticker-57581-p.jpg

Never knew a young Scott Gemmill was back playing for Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Always helps when the defending is that braindead. Hull should have won this but might as well have scored two own goals. Stand off Baines & statuesque defending in the middle. Koeman must be relieved there is so much garbage below him

Baines allowed all the time he wanted to send in a decent cross, and Barkley (hardly a giant) allowed a free header from 8 yards out. Hull are simply too limited to survive. And Funes Mori misses a sitter to put Everton ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Need an Everton (and Portsmouth) goal for 600 euro...... : (

Quids in!

8-10 wrote: »
    Quids in!
    Well done fella. That's your New Year's Eve sorted out then!

8-10 wrote: »
    Quids in!

Ah, well! At least I am generally consistent with my soul wrenching accumulators! If one came up these days, I would fear the Armaggedon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Both him an Carragher don't seem to like them.

I remember on Monday Night Football a couple of years ago Carragher had a whinge over Pepe Reina having received an award for consecutive clean sheets as Carragher claimed the defenders were doing all the work and they should have received the award.

I've a feeling that deep down a lot of outfield players are really resentful of goalkeepers and think it's a piss easy job.

Both him an Carragher don't seem to like them.

I remember on Monday Night Football a couple of years ago Carragher had a whinge over Pepe Reina having received an award for consecutive clean sheets as Carragher claimed the defenders were doing all the work and they should have received the award.

I've a feeling that deep down a lot of outfield players are really resentful of goalkeepers and think it's a piss easy job.

I am pretty sure Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher would have a very qualified insight as to the difficulty or otherwise being a Premier League keeper after sitting in front of them for 20 odd years !

I think he has a point that it is a lot down to the defence as opposed to the keeper re clean sheets, especially for top teams but the award is completely trivial so not sure why he would have been arsed moaning about it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I am pretty sure Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher would have a very qualified insight as to the difficulty or otherwise being a Premier League keeper after sitting in front of them for 20 odd years !

I think he has a point that it is a lot down to the defence as opposed to the keeper re clean sheets, especially for top teams but the award is completely trivial so not sure why he would have been arsed moaning about it! :D

Sure they would have a good idea about goalkeeping more than most but I just always get the feeling in general from outfield players in the media that they never hold the same respect for goalkeepers as outfielders.

One of Carrragher's gripes while back was goalkeeper getting praise for being a good shotstopper saying that's there job to stop shots but sure you could equally say tackling is a defenders job and they shouldn't be praised for any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ah, well! At least I am generally consistent with my soul wrenching accumulators! If one came up these days, I would fear the Armaggedon!

Apologies I read it wrong and thought you have Everton and Port Vale to score... :(

My bad, didn't mean to call it out, should lay off the sauce!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement