Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

8-10 wrote: »
    Apologies I read it wrong and thought you have Everton and Port Vale to score... :(

My bad, didn't mean to call it out, should lay off the sauce!

ha! I was wondering why you were mocking me !! No, that was when it was 1-1 between Hull/Everton and I needed them and PortsMOUTH to win!

Ah, well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

2017 could be the year of the drubbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No early game :( Scandalous on Saturday ;)

Burnley 15 : 00 Sunderland
    Chelsea 15 : 00 Stoke City
    Leicester City 15 : 00 West Ham United
    Manchester United 15 : 00 Middlesbrough
    Southampton 15 : 00 West Bromwich …
    Swansea City 15 : 00 AFC Bournemouth
    Liverpool 17 : 30 Manchester City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Come on boro time to do me a favour !

HT

Swansea dismal, down to Bournemouth 0-2
    Burnley as usual ahead at home 1-0
    Soton scores and then WBA strike back almost immediately 1-1
    Leicester City 1-0
    Chelsea 1-0
    Man Utd v Boro 0-0

West Brom beating soton!

Burnley 3-0 and won't lose and will be in the Top 10 for 2017 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Another huge win for Burnley. 9 pts clear of the dropzone. I think it will be a tougher 2nd half of the season for them as they have played 11 at home and 8 away and have had a lot of the bottom 10 at home. They have a great chance to stay up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Another huge win for Burnley. 9 pts clear of the dropzone. I think it will be a tougher 2nd half of the season for them as they have played 11 at home and 8 away and have had a lot of the bottom 10 at home. They have a great chance to stay up now.

Their home form has been excellent. There's definitely at least 3 teams worse than them this season so have no doubt they'll stay up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good finish by Kane there

• Advertisement

Make that 2, great cross by Trippier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Trippier is having a great game. Two assists, one beautifully weighted pass and a whopper of a cross.

Walker will be watching this thinking he needs to up his game.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    Spurs Chelsea shaping up to be a tasty game.

It might be kind to blow up now.

3-0 Kane, Kane, Alli

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Do broadcasters still sell the league being competitive?
    Some amount of absolute rubbish in the bottom 10 & most will survive thanks to Hull & Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Manchester United
    Cross of the year from Tripp for our 2nd.

If that was walker he would have made a balls of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

4-0, Alli again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chelsea
    Is it fair that some title contenders have only 48 hours between games and others have 72 and Chelsea have 100 hours before their next game?
    Or if Liverpool and Man City, less than 48 hours.
    I know it is to suit TV, but surely everything could have been arranged better.
    Seems a bit ridiculous.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Is it fair that some title contenders have only 48 hours between games and others have 72 and Chelsea have 100 hours before their next game?
    Seems a bit ridiculous.

It is a bit ridiculous. All games should've been played on the same days considering how hectic it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

RobertKK wrote: »
    Seems a bit ridiculous.

Very unfair not that they are title contenders but Southampton play DEC 28 DEC 31 and Jan 2 whereas Chelsea play DEC 26 Dec 31 and Jan 4. With things being so tight and very important for the top 6 to beat all the teams outside of top 6. It makes the next round of games for Liverpool arsenal and utd a lot harder than they should be as it will be a bit of a lottery due to fatigue. City at home to Burnley is a good fixture and then Chelsea and spurs face off.

The only good thing is that it may shut up Chelsea fans who think the FA are incessantly against them for the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Never expect common sense when it comes to the Premier League. All about money for the Premier League they don't care about having a fair schedule for teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That was some goal

bloody hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Better than Mkhitaryan's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Crazy.. scorpion kicks could win goal of the month in consecutive months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Goal of the season stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    Incredible! Cracking counter attack but that finish will be what everyone talks about. Great, great goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ERG89 wrote: »
    Do broadcasters still sell the league being competitive?
    Some amount of absolute rubbish in the bottom 10 & most will survive thanks to Hull & Swansea.

Huge gap between top 6 and the rest, some real dross there.

Ozil out for today, 'rang in sick ' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Wow. That goal was amazing, from the break, the pace and the finish.

Leicester
    Surprised Neville didn't blame the keeper for that goal.

Great move, poor cross but that was incredible!

I also wish commentators would shut up with crap like "this is the premier league" though

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Mushy wrote: »

I also wish commentators would shut up with crap like "this is the premier league" though

Think about the soundbite for the Sky advertisements though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Gets him off the hook for his miss from 2 yards out.

Leicester
    Andy Gray being mentioned a lot today on Sky he must be off the blacklist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Think about the soundbite for the Sky advertisements though.

Oh don't we all know it!

Manchester United
    Arsenal press has been effective in stopping quality passes out of defence for Palace. Part of the struggle for Palace is how deep their 2 wingers are when they do regain possession. The wingers are so deep because Arsenal can confidently send their 2 full backs forward. They can do that due to the ease they are playing out from the back with, Benteke and Palace midfield not engaging Arsenal high enough up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Alexis should have buried that. Lazy clearance from the Palace defender which should have been punished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    5starpool wrote: »
    Spurs Chelsea shaping up to be a tasty game.

Gonna be a brilliant game. Really looking forward to it. Spurs were a joy to watch today. Shame they are too far off the pace to win the league. I would love to see them win it myself. Watched Liverpool last night and against Stoke and it was like watching paint dry in comparison to watching Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Souness said before the game they are no easy games in the Premier League. This after seeing Spurs destroy Watford.
    All these cliches are just engrained in many of the British pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Berserker wrote: »
    Gonna be a brilliant game. Really looking forward to it. Spurs were a joy to watch today. Shame they are too far off the pace to win the league. I would love to see them win it myself. Watched Liverpool last night and against Stoke and it was like watching paint dry in comparison to watching Spurs.

Finally found someone who finds the top scorers in the league boring to watch.

Manchester United
    That chance is exactly what Palace will have wanted. Get a winger into the spacd vacated by Arsenal's full backs, drag a central midfielder out into a 1 vs 1, get a cross in. The finish was awful.

Tottenham
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Souness said before the game they are no easy games in the Premier League. This after seeing Spurs destroy Watford.
    All these cliches are just engrained in many of the British pundits.

You can call a good chunk of the PL games pretty easily these days. He is just rolling out the old cliches, as you say. Doubt he really believes that Sunderland are going to beat Liverpool, Burnley are going to beat Man City, Swansea are going to beat Palace or Hull are going to beat West Brom at the Hawthorns, in next the round of games, for example.

Dunno what it was about those games. Just found them dull. Stoke was very predictable game and the Man City game was a bore. I think Liverpool will go on to win the league, voted for them at the start of the season, fyi.

Manchester United
    Thing is, that goal is the long ball equivalent of a team playing out from the back and the cb losing it on the edge of the box. The keeper gets the ball, smacks it long straight down the centre of the pitch. Arsenal win it easy in the aie, one header and 4 Arsenal attackers are in on the defence and from there it's trouble for Palace. When coaches talk about long ball having dangerous aspects too, that's an example of what they mean.

Leicester
    It really is such a pit Sam didn't take up one of those many offers he got from China and just fcuk off over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea

They were crap to watch yesterday though when they parked the bus at home. Not sure the relevance of them scoring in other games has to his point in these games.

• Advertisement

No he said he found Liverpool yesterday boring. Stop twisting it!

Tottenham
    It really is such a pit Sam didn't take up one of those many offers he got from China and just fcuk off over there.

I understand why people don't like him but Palace made a good move when they appointed him. He will keep them in the PL this season and they'll be a solid, mid-table side for seasons to come, under his guidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Berserker wrote: »
    You can call a good chunk of the PL games pretty easily these days. He is just rolling out the old cliches, as you say. Doubt he really believes that Sunderland are going to beat Liverpool, Burnley are going to beat Man City, Swansea are going to beat Palace or Hull are going to beat West Brom at the Hawthorns, in next the round of games, for example.

Dunno what it was about those games. Just found them dull. Stoke was very predictable game and the Man City game was a bore. I think Liverpool will go on to win the league, voted for them at the start of the season, fyi.

Its business as usual again for the top teams, steamrolling the midtable and relegation fodder home and away.

There is the odd upset but nothing like last season with Leicester and the implosion of Chelsea. The decline of United since Ferguson added to the unpredictability but other than that you can call most games.

Just saw Zlatans disallowed goal, very poor call to put it mildly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    rob316 wrote: »
    Its business as usual again for the top teams, steamrolling the midtable and relegation fodder home and away.

There is the odd upset but nothing like last season with Leicester and the implosion of Chelsea. The decline of United since Ferguson added to the unpredictability but other than that you can call most games.

Yes but when did we last have 6 good teams at the top all capable of beating each other.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement