Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Manchester United
    Pardew out!

Guardiola has City set up very strange at the back.

Kolarov central is very strange indeed. 3 at the back perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Manchester United
    Hart on the bench, city will need a better backup than Caballero, probably the worst keeper in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Jaysus is it just my TV or did Rio get a serious tan?

Manchester United
    How can Pep start Willy ahead of Hart, madness, come on sunderland.

Peno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

GreNoLi wrote: »
    How can Pep start Willy ahead of Hart, madness, come on sunderland.

Peno...

It's clearly another example of Peps managerial genius.

You're just not intelligent enough to understand him properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Obly saw one replay but looked very generous, seemed like Sterling was going over when he switched momentum.

Can't understand dropping Hart. Caballero is an infinitely worse keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Did you guys watch Hart at the Euros? Cabellero is much better with his feet which is what Guardiola wants from his keeper.

Manchester United
    It's clearly another example of Peps managerial genius.

You're just not intelligent enough to understand him properly.

Sterling was dirt at the Euro's but he's starting. I doubt that's why Guardiola would drop Hart.

Overall, Hart is a better keeper than Willy. Willy's backup at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Chelsea
    Sunderland have been starting to get into this game towards the end of the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sterling will be dropped when Sane is fit most likely. City have not been great not created much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    Its early days but some of these movements are superb, a far cry from the lethargy and lack of cohesion of last season. Also see how compressed the City shape is upon losing the ball, their spacing, as with all Pep teams, is supreme. Loving the involvement of the full backs in their central roles and how quickly and precisely the centre backs are distributing the ball. Still areas to work on but its been an encouraging start here.

Manchester United
    Why wasn't Khazri starting, wouldn't be surprised if Moyes took sunderland down.

Manchester United
    Fantastic press, force the mistake from Khazri. You xan only do that if your shape is correct in possession in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Defoe at it again.

Teaching Pep a lesson about English football.

Manchester United
    Legend, one all.

Manchester United
    Big issues there is the centre of the pitch, covering defender not tucked in, two wing backs not close enough to the centre and space too big in front of the backline to make time for that pass. Issues that must be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Chelsea
    Overall city have been crap to be fair.

Early days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    City have been bang average against a very bang average team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

The constant camera shots of Hart after Caballero is involved is cringey to fúck

About six or seven City players around the box there, none of them getting vlose enough.

Manchester United
    Pep will hate how isolated his wingers have been here.

Manchester United
    Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Poor Moyesy, looks a very resilient side this year though.

Manchester United
    It's not been perfect, that's obvious, but you can see by Pep's reaction what that goal means to this group pf players and the club in general. Big moment.

• Advertisement

Manchester United
    Mediocre day of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

hmm how did the refs not have to change there tops since it clashed with the Sunderland keepers top

Chelsea
    City look like the team that finished level with United last season.

It will be interesting to see how City progress in upcoming games, lucky to get the win today.

Manchester United
    Well there you have it, probably the most interesting managerial debut in Premier League history. From dropping a raft of big money players, most notably the English number one whose distribution was deemed so poor that he was dropped for Caballero, to false full backs, to occasionally shifting into a formation with only 2 players at the back, to intricate prerehearsed movements. Ultimately what Pep hopes to achieve is a kind of higher ideal that will take time to perfect in a football culture that has been deemed unsuitable for it for the better part of a century. If a club wishes to give him the time and resources to achieve that ideal then that is their choice, certainly the rewards could be great but equally it is a far slower process than most managers will go through to implement their idealised version of football. Pep even addressed this process in his press conference, explaining how due to the nature of the game in England he must tell these players what to do in certain situations rather than allowing them to discover it for themselves.

Today you also saw the other side of Guardiola. The Pep is ruthless. While Pepball is beautiful to watch, to achieve it he must be cut-throat. No sympathy, no doubt, if you question Pep you are out, if you do not behave properly in the dressing room you are out, if you do not fit the football ideals of Pep you are out. His decisions today regarding personnel were very telling regarding a club that has been too lethargic for too long.

English football might (and I only say might) never be the same again.

• Chelsea
    pVAMI8QYM42n6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

City keep playing with that shape & they will be badly exposed on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's not been perfect, that's obvious, but you can see by Pep's reaction what that goal means to this group pf players and the club in general. Big moment.

It wasn't big in any greater sense than any other winner in the last few minutes against a team you're expected to beat.

• Chelsea
    Frustrating to see Januzaj waist that corner at the end.
    Typical end product from him. I would hope he can improve with regular football but that would annoy the hell out of anyone.

Manchester United
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    pVAMI8QYM42n6.gif

I had been hoping for a debate on how City will need to improve the use of their interior midfielders in support of the wide players in order to create overloads, but instead I got a Jim Carrey gif.

Manchester United
    SlickRic wrote: »
    It wasn't big in any greater sense than any other winner in the last few minutes against a team you're expected to beat.

With absolutely no context at all that would be true. However moments are made as a result of context and in the context of the day, that was absolutely huge.

Manchester United
    MD1990 wrote: »
    City keep playing with that shape & they will be badly exposed on the wings.

The wings tend not to be the issue with this shape (which Guardiola has adapted slightly since Bayern's 2nd season under Pep) rather it's quick turnovers and a player switching off when the team have the ball. The common theme in Pep's teams are that the defenders he chooses are all excellent 1 vs 1 (another reason for the Stones purchase) and can ably shift across to full back positions to cover the inverted full backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Chelsea
    You make it sound like he's taken Yeovil to the brink of a Champions League final.
    It's Man City - they finished in the top 2 in 4 or the last 5 seasons. They beat Sunderland today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    From dropping a raft of big money players, most notably the English number one

Tell me again how much Joe Hart cost, must have missed it

Manchester United
    You make it sound like he's taken Yeovil to the brink of a Champions League final.
    It's Man City - they finished in the top 2 in 4 or the last 5 seasons. They beat Sunderland today....

You've misinterpreted tactical discussion as sensationalism. It literally matters not who he beat or even the score in the match today, it was the approach to it and the decision-making that was so fascinating. Also nobody you speak to, myself included, will tell you that was a great performance from City today. The intrigue around Man City this season is that at their helm is a manager who represents all the things that English football has (again I repeat) for the better part of a century rejected. Its a collision of two different worlds happening on a pitch every week for 90 minutes. The other personal interest for me is seeing, in my view, the most interesting football mind since Cruyff develop his ideas in a new environment and seeing how he inpacts that environment and how it impacts him.

Manchester United
    astradave wrote: »

His wages are, I'm assuming, amongst the highest of any keeper in the world, certainly in the top 5%

• Advertisement

Chelsea
    Pep was so relieved he got out of jail in that game. There was nothing exceptional about City.
    They needed a set piece as in a penalty to get their first goal and an OG by McNair to get their second.
    All that possession, it was like watching an LVG game.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Chelsea
    astradave wrote: »
    His wages are, I'm assuming, amongst the highest of any keeper in the world, certainly in the top 5%

I'm assuming/thinking he meant transfer fee, not wages.

You did mean transfer fee right astradave?

Manchester United
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'm assuming/thinking he meant transfer fee, not wages.

You did mean transfer fee right astradave?

Lol then switch big money to high profile players. It's such a pedantic thing to pick up on after what you've just watched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Manchester United
    Potential for City to run away with the league I think. Very silky side - Nothing wrong with them scraping through with it being the first game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So are Willy Caballeros wages.

What sort of comment is that :pac:

Manchester United
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Potential for City to run away with the league I think. Very silky side - Nothing wrong with them scraping through with it being the first game of the season.

Definitely potential there and there's a lot of traits of Pep's teams already evident. That being said there's certainly issues too. The addition of Gundogan, Sane and a centre back beside Kolarov should help. A keeper and a right back would really help things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

There's no higher ideal.

There's a manager who simply believes that the best way to win is his way. That's it. If you believe anything else, you're buying into a fantasy.

If Mourinho dropped DDG tomorrow because he was weak on crosses in training, and Utd beat Bournemouth in the last minute with a random own goal, nobody in their right mind would call it a 'big moment'.

Also, English football is grand. It's not archaic, and certainly hasn't been stuck for a century. There are a multitude of teams scattered throughout the years...from 60s Utd, to 70s Leeds and Liverpool, to 80s Liverpool and Everton, to Arsenal and Utd in the 90s and 00s under Fergie and Wenger...who have been just fine without Cruyff and Pep's doctrine.

He's in England for the £20m a year, and the chance to bring success to the most oil rich club in England, that is best placed of any team to dominate.

Good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If City play with that same set up every week, they will concede heavily against better sides than Sunderland. Pep needs to realise that his his defensive options are heavily limited and will definitely cost him a lot of goals.

If he wants to try a you score 3 and we'll score 4 philosophy, then at least it will be entertaining for the neutral fan.

Manchester United
    So are Willy Caballeros wages.

What sort of comment is that :pac:

I dont even know to be honest. My point was so obvious I was slightly frazzled at having to justify it. The English number one being dropped cos he can't distribute the ball should speak volumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    Lol then switch big money to high profile players. It's such a pedantic thing to pick up on after what you've just watched.

For someone that went absolutely ballistic because people said that they never heard of Vertical offers, you have some gall on you to say that..

Maybe if you took off your jizz filled glasses you would see that the match was pretty mediocre and their was nothing special on offer.

But hey don't let that get in the way of you going on as if you have watched the second coming of Christ.

tbf I just thought it was funny that out of the players dropped you chose to use Hart as "the most notable" "big money player" when the obvious and most notable one was Yaya

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement