Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but when did we last have 6 good teams at the top all capable of beating each other.

What teams are capable of beating Chelsea or Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Berserker wrote: »

You think neither will lose another game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Oh, come on! You don't think Arsenal, Utd, City or Spurs are capable of beating either??

Arsenal 3 Chelsea 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The teams that have already beaten them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Burnley and Bournemouth beat us so far and are Liverpool and Arsenal the only ones to beat Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No he said he found Liverpool yesterday boring. Stop twisting it!

Actually said yesterday and against Stoke (when they scored 4 and could have had a few more). Don't think they were dull against City either. Were excellent in the first half. Defended very well in the second when City had their decent spell. Could have had another goal or two on the counter only for the wrong option being taken at the end of moves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Actually said yesterday and against Stoke (when they scored 4 and could have had a few more). Don't think they were dull against City either. Were excellent in the first half. Defended very well in the second when City had their decent spell. Could have had another goal or two on the counter only for the wrong option being taken at the end of moves.

They were boring yesterday. You. Might not want to hear that but it's the truth from a non Liverpool fan perspective. They scored early and parked the bus trying to hit on the break. **** on a stick football many scousers called it when United played tight away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Thought Liverpool and man city game was pretty poor myself.
    BT must be kicking themselves that was their only game over the Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham

Utd at old Trafford are more than capable of beating liverpool in two weeks like wise spurs beating Chelsea Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jayop wrote: »
    They were boring yesterday. You. Might not want to hear that but it's the truth from a non Liverpool fan perspective. They scored early and parked the bus trying to hit on the break. **** on a stick football many scousers called it when United played tight away from home.

United made absolutely no attempt to score at Anfield though :confused:

It was boring though yesterday I agree however the score could of been bigger if our decision making was better, that is really where the overall quality of the game suffered yesterday for both sides.

• Advertisement

• Chelsea
    rob316 wrote: »

It was boring though yesterday I agree however the score could of been bigger if our decision making was better, that is really where the overall quality of the game suffered yesterday for both sides.
    So you are making a statement by using one game in anfield to back up this opinion. Ibra in fact had one of the best chances of the games with a game that had few. But anyway you need alot more than that to back it up.
    If you actually watched the game yesterday you would have noticed man city had most of the possession including early on. You could argue the goal was against the run of play as sterile as pepball proved to be. Liverpool's performance was professional once they took the lead by defending a lead and they deserved the win it in the end. Don't think anyone has said otherwise.
    But to read the hypocrisy that because klopp set up this way it's suddenly a master stroke in tactics is laughable.

Chelsea
    rob316 wrote: »

Well that's utter bollocks. United had 7 shots so clearly did attempt to score. Again that's nothing but deflection anyway. The point is that the Liverpool game yesterday was turged old stink.

Chelsea
    Mick no point trying to explain hypocrisy to Liverpool fans. They'll never understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Happy New Year lads and lassies.

I hope you all have plenty to shout about in 2017 civil or otherwise. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    But to read the hypocrisy that because klopp set up this way it's suddenly a master stroke in tactics is laughable.

Did anyone actually use those words?

A lot of Liverpool posters called it a poor performance but 3 points is vital.

Nothing wrong with any approach that gets you 3 points IMO. You cant play high intensity all the time. And in this league adapting your approach is vital. Doubt I'd have been happy if it turned out a draw though after "parking the bus".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As usual, every thread here gets hijacked into a United/Liverpool w4nkfest!

Spurs hanging on, in spite of me not thinking they were going to do fcvk all this season.

If they can keep Hurry Cane fit and in form, they might threaten 4th place yet, but I'd have my doubts. It would be interesting if they were to turn Chelsea over in midweek. United are still a threat, Ibra on a hot streak which (one would think) will fade away as the season progresses, but if Jose can figure out what to do with Myktarian, they will threaten City & Spurs for 4th.

Chelsea
    Talking about two premier league teams and their respective styles is hardly hijacking a thread about the premier league.

• Chelsea
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Did anyone actually use those words?

A lot of Liverpool posters called it a poor performance but 3 points is vital.

Nothing wrong with any approach that gets you 3 points IMO. You cant play high intensity all the time. And in this league adapting your approach is vital. Doubt I'd have been happy if it turned out a draw though after "parking the bus".

The hypocrisy is all over the match thread for starters. Reddit. Twitter.haven't even ventured into the Liverpool thread because I couldn't be arsed. So what exactly is your point? I already agreed it was a professional performance and you deserved the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The hypocrisy is all over the match thread for starters. Reddit. Twitter.

Bar YouTube comments those are the worst place to read public comments on anything especially sports.
    Case in point Arsenal won today so nobody is calling for Wenger's head which happens every time they go behind never mind lose.

• Advertisement

• Chelsea
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Bar YouTube comments those are the worst place to read publuc comments on anything especially sports.
    Case in point Arsenal won today so nobody is calling for Wenger's head which happens every time they go behind never mind lose.

So don't read them anywhere then? Got to love when goal posts move. In that case this whole forum is invalid and nobody can hold an opinion on anything as its all utter bull****e.

The hypocrisy is all over the match thread for starters. Reddit. Twitter.haven't even ventured into the Liverpool thread because I couldn't be arsed. So what exactly is your point? I already agreed it was a professional performance and you deserved the win.

My point is I dont think anyone really thought it was a master stroke tactic to score a goal and then defend the lead. Its not easy to do and I and many were happy to grind out a win but I dont think many are talking it up like you say.

I dont read twitter or reddit but generally I dont see Klopp getting praise on tactic master stokes in the press. Maybe getting praise for a hard fought 3 points.

I dont read twitter or reddit but generally I dont see Klopp getting praise on tactic master stokes in the press. Maybe getting praise for a hard fought 3 points.

What's all the stuff about Gegenpressen then? :confused:

I think Klopp's tactics were well appreciated long before he came to England.

• Chelsea
    My point is I dont think anyone really thought it was a master stroke tactic to score a goal and then defend the lead. Its not easy to do and I and many were happy to grind out a win but I dont think many are talking it up like you say.

We must be reading something else because I have read multiple variations of it with a positive spin
    Said same people who put a totally negative spin on the park the bus / awful football / unattractive football narrative when it happens elsewhere. It's a perfectly viable tactic where required but you can't expect to not get called out on it if you spout one thing or another depending on whose team you follow

Please understand I'm not saying you directly. Your opinion on the game itself by what you say is completely fair

So don't read them anywhere then? Got to love when goal posts move. In that case this whole forum is invalid and nobody can hold an opinion on anything as its all utter bull****e.

A lot is said just to get the rise out of people. Especially if they support certain teams or individuals. It works 98% of the time.
    Who moved the gold posts???
    I don't think there is is a forum as notoriously contentious as this one (not even After Hours can touch it), the amount of threads closed when things stray waaaay off topic reflects that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tottenham
    We must be reading something else because I have read multiple variations of it with a positive spin
    Said same people who put a totally negative spin on the park the bus / awful football / unattractive football narrative when it happens elsewhere. It's a perfectly viable tactic where required but you can't expect to not get called out on it if you spout one thing or another depending on whose team you follow

Please understand I'm not saying you directly. Your opinion on the game itself by what you say is completely fair

Ah put come here Mick. Klopps park the bus is like all out attack play the keeper right wing last man back jumpers for goalposts compared to jose playing park the bus football.

• Advertisement

Korat wrote: »
    What's all the stuff about Gegenpressen then? :confused:

I think Klopp's tactics were well appreciated long before he came to England.

I'm talking about his specific tactics against Manchester City.

Chelsea
    Ah put come here Mick. Klopps park the bus is like all out attack play the keeper right wing last man back jumpers for goalposts compared to jose playing park the bus football.

The sad thing is that you're not even really joking.

Jurgen Klopp is the best coach in the world in my opinion. I wish Utd had taken him.

Limited resources at Liverpool will be the only things holding him back.

Korat wrote: »
    Jurgen Klopp is the best coach in the world in my opinion. I wish Utd had taken him.

Limited resources at Liverpool will be the only things holding him back.

no such thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mini table of the top 6 first half of the season:

Liverpool 3-2-0 8-5 +3 11 points
    Chelsea 3-0-2 10-7 +3 9 points
    Man City 2-0-3 5-8 -3 6 points
    Arsenal 1-2-2 9-8 +1 5 points
    Tottenham 1-2-2 5-5 0 5 points
    Man Utd 1-2-2 3-7 -4 5 points

Spurs v Chelsea on Wednesday the next fixture in this mini league.

• Advertisement

Tottenham
    Utd at old Trafford are more than capable of beating liverpool in two weeks like wise spurs beating Chelsea Wednesday night.

Don't think United are good enough to beat Liverpool, even at OT. Liverpool will nick a goal and grind out a win or a point at worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Don't think United are good enough to beat Liverpool, even at OT. Liverpool will nick a goal and grind out a win or a point at worst.

Hard to call, as a Liverpool fan I'm not quite sure what to expect when mane goes to afcon as we have no direct replacement. Even on an off day he was always an outlet and an important player, on the flip side coutinho will be back which will also bring back the best out of firmino who'll like go back into the middle. I'll be interested to see how moitonho treats the game, a game United to win more than Liverpool but will he commit men forward or play conservatively?

Bournemouth beat Liverpool 4 weeks ago, of course United are capable of beating Liverpool at Old Trafford and even if they don't on the day, it doesn't mean they are incapable of ever beating them.

Yeah, I genuinely think Liverpool fans (or otherwise) may be getting a tad ahead of themselves when they are saying things like United are not good enough to beat them at Old Trafford.

Tottenham
    Bournemouth beat Liverpool 4 weeks ago, of course United are capable of beating Liverpool at Old Trafford and even if they don't on the day, it doesn't mean they are incapable of beating them.

If Liverpool don't turn up, like they did against Bournemouth in that second half then they can beat them but Klopp's Liverpool are the type of team that learns from their mistakes. I think they'll leave everything on the pitch in a game like United away and that'll be enough to get them through. Klopp has that squad singing off the same hymn sheet now.

If Liverpool don't turn up, like they did against Bournemouth in that second half then they can beat them but Klopp's Liverpool are the type of team that learns from their mistakes. I think they'll leave everything on the pitch in a game like United away and that'll be enough to get them through. Klopp has that squad singing off the same hymn sheet now.

So if United win, Liverpool didn't turn up?
    Must use that excuse next time.

• Chelsea

Actually never mind, I think your intentions on discussion with me are a bit clearer now

SZJQAOql.jpg

• Chelsea

What if united turn up like they have been for ten games now and beat Liverpool easily?
    What if Utd take the lead and then go defensive?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    Yeah, I genuinely think Liverpool fans (or otherwise) may be getting a tad ahead of themselves when they are saying things like United are not good enough to beat them at Old Trafford.

I'm pretty sure Berserker isn't a Liverpool fan, although I'm open to correction on that.

Liverpool have a great record against the bigger teams since Klopp came in, but the way utd are playing it'll be a very different game to earlier in the season I think. Utd will have most of the ball I reckon, but I genuinely have no idea how the game will go. I've seen several utd fans on here very confident of a home win, and that might turn out to be the case, but I'm not sure of the basis for that level of confidence really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I used to come in this thread to avoid the kids who support united and Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Berserker isn't a Liverpool fan, although I'm open to correction on that.

Liverpool have a great record against the bigger teams since Klopp came in, but the way utd are playing it'll be a very different game to earlier in the season I think. Utd will have most of the ball I reckon, but I genuinely have no idea how the game will go. I've seen several utd fans on here very confident of a home win, and that might turn out to be the case, but I'm not sure of the basis for that level of confidence really.

I think a level of confidence comes to supporters of any of the top teams when their team starts to hit form. They believe that their team can beat anyone. That's not just reserved for us United (or ye liverpool) fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea
    I used to come in this thread to avoid the kids who support united and Liverpool

You do realise that United and Liverpool are part of the "General Premier League"

• Chelsea
    5starpool wrote: »

This is a fair post, I'm more confident than I was the last time the sides met that's for sure. A great day would be a comfortable win but I admit anything wild could happen. A bad ref decision, a sending off etc could be on the cards which will drive the tempors High. This is probably more important for Utd to win as opposed to Liverpool.
    Klopp has proven so far that he can also grind results and also play some good football which is something I really didn't want to see happen as a rival.
    But I would expect him to approach this game this time around similar to the city game in order to obtain the best result.
    I think if Utd play like they have been and don't get caught on the break then we will win.
    Tactically Jose is better placed than pep is in this league.
    Pep hadn't a clue how to break Liverpool down

It's an open forum what events would you like to talk about?

• Chelsea

Perfectly reasonable discussions going on. One would argue you are the one acting like a kid.

One person said it and not even sure he is a Liverpool fan.

It's certainly not the consensus.

Taking what one or two say and applying that a generic statement for all fans is lazy tbh.

Actually never mind, I think your intentions on discussion with me are a bit clearer now

Turty posted that as a joke obviously. As I said, no-one said it was a masterstroke in tactics, he posted that after I said that to make me look a bit silly.......which was funny and is why I thanked it. I dont go into other threads and wind people up. My record on boards should speak for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SZJQAOql.jpg
    You have the same intentions

Laughing with Phil in the Anfield Road Stand is your location :confused:

MD1990 wrote: »
    You have the same intentions

Laughing with Phil in the Anfield Road Stand is your location :confused:

My only intentions was pointing out that Klopps tactics were not seen as being a masterstroke as he put it. No dig was in any of my posts. No hidden agenda.

• Advertisement

Turty posted that as a joke obviously.

Said it yesterday but people often say things like that just to wind up people, which is lost on them but obviously it worked. There was nothing masterful about the performance even Liverpool said as much post match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement