Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread - 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This is a fair post, I'm more confident than I was the last time the sides met that's for sure. A great day would be a comfortable win but I admit anything wild could happen. A bad ref decision, a sending off etc could be on the cards which will drive the tempors High. This is probably more important for Utd to win as opposed to Liverpool.
    Klopp has proven so far that he can also grind results and also play some good football which is something I really didn't want to see happen as a rival.
    But I would expect him to approach this game this time around similar to the city game in order to obtain the best result.
    I think if Utd play like they have been and don't get caught on the break then we will win.
    Tactically Jose is better placed than pep is in this league.
    Pep hadn't a clue how to break Liverpool down

Id take a draw.

But what happens if both teams turn up and play really well? That's a hard one to call on who would actually win.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Manchester United
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    Id take a draw.

But what happens if both teams turn up and play really well? That's a hard one to call on who would actually win.

I wouldn't take a draw now if offered, but if it turns out that way I'd be happy enough. Liverpool are about 5/2 for the game which is a fairly big price I think. We are rightly not favs but I think it's closer than the bookies have priced it. There are games for both teams today which could change how we look at the game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

In an attempt to get back on track....

Just watching Leicester v Boro here, and tbh its really bad. The overall standard of teams 7 to 20 seems to have dropped considerably in the last year or so. Take out a biggish crowd, Sky TV hype, and fancy camera work and it's really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Manchester United

Just watching Leicester v Boro here, and tbh its really bad. The overall standard of teams 7 to 20 seems to have dropped considerably in the last year or so. Take out a biggish crowd, Sky TV hype, and fancy camera work and it's really bad.

Ya its been complete tosh, summed up in stoppage time by a trundling run by Ulloa into no mans land before poor control and some clumsy challenges result in a free out. Awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tottenham
    5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Berserker isn't a Liverpool fan, although I'm open to correction on that.

I'm a Rangers fan. You can check the Rangers thread. I just think the Liverpool are flying at the moment and they look like a proper championship challenging side. Man United are just that step behind that. They better not go and drop points at Sunderland today or I am going to look like a right tit!!

Have to agree. People go on about how awful the SPL is. However, our game against tic at the weekend was the equal of this game in terms of football, if not better. The standard of football in the PL, outside the top seven, has taken a dip this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Sunderland only able to name 6 players on the bench today including 3 teenagers.
    2 current starters off to the ACON, a lot of long term injuries and no money to spend apparently.

They are surely going down this year and surprised how Moyes hasn't walked away from it yet. Doesn't look like much hope in the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    It does look like Moyes was told a big pack of lies to get him in the job.

Although I don't think anyone would blame Moyes for walking away from the whole mess at Sunderland where would it leave him out of his third job in as many years and failing badly in all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sunderland only able to name 6 players on the bench today including 3 teenagers.

Flashscore has 7 listed but yes it's a very callow bench indeed.

I think Boro v Leicester will on last tonight (if MOTD is on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man Boro really are ****e to watch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

These matches at the end of the holiday programme are always rubbish, players are exhausted. Wouldn't judge the overall quality by these slogfests at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

These matches at the end of the holiday programme are always rubbish, players are exhausted. Wouldn't judge the overall quality by these slogfests at all.

Exactly, Boro and Leicester have been tearing the league asunder up until now!

Its been a very forgettable Christmas period. Can't think of a less exciting one in memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chelsea
    Some decent chances for both sides in the Liverpool game.

Chelsea
    2 huge half time draws at the moment although you would full expect at least Liverpool to get back into the lead. City a man down could be harder.

Chelsea
    City one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Unreal finish from Aguero

Great response by City. Must be depressing for a Burnley fan on the road!

Chelsea
    Great response by City. Must be depressing for a Burnley fan on the road!

Goal back 20 to go and a man up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Massive result for Chelsea.Justified or not there will be some amount of whinging now about the schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Massive result for Chelsea.Justified or not there will be some amount of whinging now about the schedule.

Klopp was doing that beforehand actually someone should inform him there's actually a less game over Christmas this season than last and it'll be back to that next season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It is justified. A few managers have complained. But is was the same for Liverpool & Sunderland.
    Southampton's schedule was a disgrace.
    It is doing the Premier League no favours oversaturation & very poor quality games partly due to fatigue.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    It is justified. A few managers have complained. But is was the same for Liverpool & Sunderland.
    It is doing the Premier League no favours oversaturation & very poor quality games partly due to fatigue.

The fans obviously like the Christmas fixtures and the amount of games on at this time and considering the fans are constantly being screwed with higher ticket prices and increases in TV subscription fees its the least the league can do to provide them with some games to watch during the christmas break.

If anything one of the cup competitions should be got rid of before changing the christmas schedule.

MD1990 wrote: »

If you are going to go down that line of thinking re professional footballer's fatigue, you will have to also also adhere to the fact that teams like Arsenal, United, City and Spurs have/Had a disadvantage compared to Liverpool for many weeks also due to European football.

I agree, Chelsea had an advantage but given the FA have hardly ever been bias to Chelsea (not a Chelsea fan btw), I would accept it as it were.

Liverpool have a blessed season now to concentrate on the league so an extra game at Christmas against a lowly team missing so many players shouldn't be moaned about

Poor old Pep feeling the pressure already.........hinting at retirement! ; ) No surprise, he has reached his peak and wants to wind down his career in England............

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=process%20of%20my%20goodbye&src=typd

Gary Neville deflecting that awful red card decision to a Kouyate challenge that he got the ball saying he should have been sent off goway ta f... switched illegal stream TV off.

The other night same awful referee sent off Redmond and awarded a pen to Spurs another poor decision Redknapp with his links to Spurs said harsh but he thinks the the ref got it right...they then went to an ad-break and when they came back Redknapp had clearly been advised or watched a replay and had changed his tune saying how it wasn't a pen and proceeded to criticize the ref, spoofin' of the highest order. :D

That ref and his team (3 lads blatantly offside for Zlatan goal too) should be given next week off and shafted to Barrow when the cup commences :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leicester
    Pep feeling the pressure big time listing to that post match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really dislike the culture of players running to the ref to get players sent off, all teams do it these days but I've no doubt it contributes to wrong decisions like Feghouli's red card, along with Jones 'corpse roll'

• Chelsea
    Gary Neville deflecting that awful red card decision to a Kouyate challenge that he got the ball saying he should have been sent off goway ta f... switched illegal stream TV off.

The other night same awful referee sent off Redmond and awarded a pen to Spurs another poor decision Redknapp with his links to Spurs said harsh but he thinks the the ref got it right...they then went to an ad-break and when they came back Redknapp had clearly been advised or watched a replay and had changed his tune saying how it wasn't a pen and proceeded to criticize the ref, spoofin' of the highest order. :D

That ref and his team (3 lads blatantly offside for Zlatan goal too) should be given next week off and shafted to Barrow when the cup commences :)

No he didn't

He said it wasn't a red for west ham early on
    And he said the the challenge on miki was a red

Both correct comments

Just looked at it on the BBC website. (Peps interview) He came across as a right tw*t to be fair! Clearly getting p1ssed off with the press in England

What was that about "his fault"??

• Chelsea
    Just looked at it on the BBC website. (Peps interview) He came across as a right tw*t to be fair! Clearly getting p1ssed off with the press in England

What was that about "his fault"??

Link?
    It's about time he gets some heat imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Corholio wrote: »
    Really dislike the culture of players running to the ref to get players sent off, all teams do it these days but I've no doubt it contributes to wrong decisions like Feghouli's red card, along with Jones 'corpse roll'

The dying fish routine was a bit much alright. Plus the 4 players immediately surrounding the ref but these are staples of Jose teams. Especially putting pressure on referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If you are going to go down that line of thinking re professional footballer's fatigue, you will have to also also adhere to the fact that teams like Arsenal, United, City and Spurs have/Had a disadvantage compared to Liverpool for many weeks also due to European football.

I agree, Chelsea had an advantage but given the FA have hardly ever been bias to Chelsea (not a Chelsea fan btw), I would accept it as it were.

Liverpool have a blessed season now to concentrate on the league so an extra game at Christmas against a lowly team missing so many players shouldn't be moaned about
    Liverpool possibly have City,Arsenal & Leicester after CL games Having no European football is definitely an advantage for Liverpool & Chelsea.
    Not a coincidence Man Utd are having a good run with no European football.

Chelsea's & Spurs both have big advantages over christmas. A bit of common sense over schedule's should have happen.

• Chelsea
    NM found the link
    Pep really looking like he's starting to crack a bit, even after a home win with 10 men

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/815969367183659010

Classic.Nothing like really awkward interactions between managers/players and media.For a second it looked like Pep was going to split him with a headbutt.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No he didn't

He said it wasn't a red for west ham early on
    And he said the the challenge on miki was a red

Both correct comments

Read my comment again I never mentioned him saying it wasn't a red which he did and was correct there however he did then divert to the Kouyate challenge on Miki as you call him even if I take your word for it being a red card,failure to send him off somehow evened up the bad call, nonsense West Ham can't get those 60 minutes back!!

Note: My opinion is it would've been a pathetic red and furthers my dismay of tackling this day n age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Pep wrote:
    I'm so happy, happy new year

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Manchester United
    Grumpy Guardiola confronting loaded questions asked by media is my favourite Guardiola. He's having absolutely none of that tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Despite Pep "cracking" and City's poor form the last few months they are still as close & well prepared to challenge Chelsea as everyone else is now. I think it's unlikely Chelsea get caught can go 8 clear which is hard to catch without others dropping points & have no distractions. They have a great record against the dross of the league & aren't abysmal defensively, an alien concept in the league now.

Grumpy Guardiola confronting loaded questions asked by media is my favourite Guardiola. He's having absolutely none of that tripe.

He made himself out to be an awful unlikeable pr1ck, Mourinho was carried on similar to this albeit not as bad and was lambasted for it.

Manchester United
    He made himself out to be an awful unlikeable pr1ck, Mourinho was carried on similar to this albeit not as bad and was lambasted for it.

There's a misconception that Guardolia is some kind of angel. Anyone that's followed his career in Spain and Germany know he doesn't suffer fools lightly, especially if they belong to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mourinho's as bad, he's been playing the victim card for 2 seasons (longer if you look back to Spain and England)

Aside from their playing styles both managers are remarkably similar in many aspects, intensity, media, etc

People are way too quick to write people off, for the first quarter of the season people wrote Mourinho and United off, saying he's lost the plot, having meltdowns etc and now it's flipped to City and Pep.

• Advertisement

There's a misconception that Guardolia is some kind of angel. Anyone that's followed his career in Spain and Germany know he doesn't suffer fools lightly, especially if they belong to the media.

Yes it seems that way but they'd be well wrong it's not exactly a secret that the the man was even on drugs during his playing career.

Was fairly high profile when the way he treated the long term medical team when he was at Bayern they were eventually out on their ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Of course it is. There's no part of him you don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The dying fish routine was a bit much alright. Plus the 4 players immediately surrounding the ref but these are staples of Jose teams. Especially putting pressure on referees.

Jose teams.... this was a trait Ally brought with him from Aberdeen 30 years ago, it's a tradition now. Embarrassing listening to Neville mumbling about a second red for the West Ham player, terms like 'leg breaker' being used, completely OTT.

Dean and his team were terrible today, as said earlier, send them to the Conference North or some'at for a few weeks.

Top 4 is achievable first any of the present top 6. United on a good run, might sneak it but I'd still question any defence with Jones as a mainstay. Jose working out that Miktarian is a better footballer than Feliani was a big help for them.

Manchester United
    Of course it is. There's no part of him you don't like.

That's true. I don't deny at all that I'm a fan of Guardiola. I'm sure there's other people on this boar who are fans of other people in football.

Jose teams.... this was a trait Ally brought with him from Aberdeen 30 years ago, it's a tradition now. Embarrassing listening to Neville mumbling about a second red for the West Ham player, terms like 'leg breaker' being used, completely OTT.

Dean and his team were terrible today, as said earlier, send them to the Conference North or some'at for a few weeks.

Top 4 is achievable first any of the present top 6. United on a good run, might sneak it but I'd still question any defence with Jones as a mainstay. Jose working out that Miktarian is a better footballer than Feliani was a big help for them.

Ally. ...........

Lukker- wrote: »
    Mourinho's as bad, he's been playing the victim card for 2 seasons (longer if you look back to Spain and England)

I'm not disputing he isn't as bad but I think he was an easy target at any stage of that carry on that other managers seem to avoid who are up to similar. Who knows all possible Pep could develop into a scapegoat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He (Pep) seemed unusually wound up there. The journalist didn't come out swinging - he congratulated him on the win, before mentioning the sending off, it all felt innocuous enough to me- but Gaurdiola seemed tetchy as hell before things even got under way. Very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea
    I think Pep done the BBC interview (the video) after the Sky one and the Sky one was meant to be pretty poor as well, so someone, somewhere has pi**ed him off.

he did look like a right eejit in the interview, the questions werent all that leading IMO and they werent Geoff Shreeves levels of stupidness either, so it was strange from him.

Chelsea
    It was an idiotic response from pep. What was he on about with interpretation of the rules? Moronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Etihad might be getting another 1 way trip to New York after this meltdown. He is unhinged.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement